New study shows coronavirus can travel 13 feet

Sunday, April 12, 2020 8:46 AM
A new study from the CDC says the coronavirus can travel 13 feet: [view link] This may mean shutting everything down may not be as effective as thought since everyone has spent the last month standing 6 feet away from each other in long grocery store lines so they can buy food and not starve to death. If the shelter-in-place rules aren't achieving the results originally hoped for then that may mean we can move up the date for reopening everything. That would include strip clubs.

17 comments

" If the shelter-in-place rules aren't achieving the results originally hoped for " No need to guess on that -- from data so far, they're achieving what was hoped for, the curves are flattening, and predictably, those who SIPed first are the ones seeing their curves flattening first, as a general rule. Hopefully, those curves continue to flatten quickly, we can meet the other conditions (e.g., availability of testing at scale) that would trigger a return, and we're off!
Subraman
4 years ago
"No need to guess on that -- from data so far, they're achieving what was hoped for, the curves are flattening, and predictably, those who SIPed first are the ones seeing their curves flattening first, as a general rule." The people who wanted shutdowns were predicting extremely high levels of deaths if they weren't done. If the shutdowns are not as effective as originally thought, then the numbers of deaths we are seeing may be close to the number that would have happened anyway. The shutdowns may have just spread the deaths out over a slightly longer period of time while not decreasing the total numbers of deaths by a large number. In exchange for this, we may have damaged the economy for years to come. The hardships coming from that may cause additional future deaths.
docsavage
4 years ago
^ I have to laugh at that sounds more like the guy whose neighbors house is on fire and says let it burn to the ground it will improve my view. That’s just confirmation bias at work.
twentyfive
4 years ago
There is a saying that old men start wars and young men die in them. Older politicians and the large Boomer generation that supports them may have started a war against the coronavirus where the costs fall disproportionately on the younger people. The old people were able to enjoy their youth but aren't letting young people do the same thing. Because of the economic damage from the shutdowns, we may have more suicides and deaths from alcohol abuse. That happened in Russia in the nineties when their economy went into a collapse. Young people may not be able to afford to get married or have kids. If children are not born in the future they won't be counted as deaths but do we really want someone to not be able to be born and live for 80 years so an old person can live another year or two?
docsavage
4 years ago
I love all the pretend concern about the youth -- the ones who have the most time to rebuild their wealth. Meanwhile, at least on social media, even the youth have significantly turned towards the lockdown, including a significant amount of social shaming. They don't view their parents as sacrificial as you do. You guys do not speak for the poor or youth, stop pretending to remotely have your finger on their pulse. The shutdowns were always positioned as having as the #1 goal flattening the curve -- so the health system doesn't collapse as it did in some areas of Italy and Spain, the predictable result of moving too slowly. The countries that were able to delay or lighten lockdowns were the ones, like South Korea and Israel, who took early action around test & trace, etc. Ironically, the guys who most say they want the economy re-started, are the ones least willing to hold our leadership accountable for getting us to a point where we can do the same.
Subraman
4 years ago
"I love all the pretend concern about the youth -- the ones who have the most time to rebuild their wealth." It's interesting to know that you can read my mind and can see my concern is pretend. How long have you had that superpower?
docsavage
4 years ago
Since a bunch of guys who are clearly out of touch with the poor and the youth, suddenly started using concerns that don't seem to have any bearing to what the poor and youth are saying, to support the conclusion they want.
Subraman
4 years ago
"I love all the pretend concern about the youth -- the ones who have the most time to rebuild their wealth." How are they going to be able to "rebuild their wealth" when the negative economic effects of the shutdown lead to high unemployment levels and they can't get a job? Since this is a strip club site, do you think out of work girls are going to be able to switch to working in a strip club and make money when a lot of the former customers are out of work too? How are they going to "rebuild their wealth" when the government adds another several trillion dollars onto the national debt on top of the 23 trillion already there in order to try to deal with the effects of the shutdown? How are they going to "rebuild their wealth" when all the government money printing to counteract the shutdown leads to hyperinflation? Did the young people in Weimar Germany "rebuild their wealth" during and after the twenties hyperinflation there?
docsavage
4 years ago
I don't disagree that the economy is badly hurt, although as with previous downturns, we'll work our way out. I do have the same concerns as you about the size of the national debt, but that existed before, and is going to be something we continue to struggle with. it is imperative we work our way out of the lockdowns as quickly as possible. Which is why everyone who actually cares that that happen, should be screaming for clear conditions under which that can happen, and holding leadership accountable for getting there, in a way that doesn't get us backsliding and make things worse.
Subraman
4 years ago
An interesting perspective from someone who is otherwise not-my-favorite-guy: https://youtu.be/dEfDwc2G2_8 I realize this has nothing to do with how far coronavirus spreads, but figured I'd drop it in one of the covid19 threads. I'm having a hard time disagreeing with him on this one, I find.
Subraman
4 years ago
"It is imperative we work our way out of the lockdowns as quickly as possible." I agree with that. Some sort of lockdown was clearly needed in order to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed with patients as happened in Italy. It's going to be a tough decision on when to reopen, especially since we have little recent experience with this sort of thing. I'm 63 and and have never seen a major disease epidemic and never thought I would. I can remember my father talking about his mother getting the Spanish flu in 1918 when she was a girl and a brother of his catching and passing away from tuberculosis when that disease was common but hearing about something is nothing like living through it.
docsavage
4 years ago
I'm guessing it's a lot like explosions or loud noises, where the risk drops exponentially by distance. The six foot rule was always somewhat arbitrary and "less overall interactions" was always more important than us all keeping six foot bubbles
JamesSD
4 years ago
It can only travel 13 feet? Then how did it get around the world so fast?
yahtzee74
4 years ago
After seeing the numbers by age, it looks like everyone who's under 50 and healthy should be be living their life pretty close to normal. Certainly they should be able to go to work.
yahtzee74
4 years ago
I have to agree not that we have more data and will continue to test an age limit along with the existence of other factors such as asthma, diabetes, obesity...... oops that's half the US population, should determine who can go back to work....etc.
Longball300
4 years ago
I guess that means all the fat asses can continue to sit home and get fatter.
Longball300
4 years ago
13 feet? It came from china!
Clubber
4 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion