Why the fuck do people drive without insurance?

Friday, July 2, 2021 8:54 AM
See title And also if your fucking bitch ass cant drive a larger vehicle for shit then fucking dont.

133 comments

Fuck I don’t know. People who drive don’t seem to understand physics at all either.
Muddy
3 years ago
The same reasons that they drive without licenses or break other laws.
shadowcat
3 years ago
Insurance costs money. Plus they don’t have a DL and their cars aren’t registered. In Philly the cops don’t make traffic stops or enforce traffic issues. That would be racist lol. Sucks being involved in an accident with them - you’re SOL. They’re the reason your “uninsured motorist” premium is so high. They’re also the reason there are so many hot and runs.
Studme53
3 years ago
Hit and runs
Studme53
3 years ago
People who drive without insurance habitually even though they can afford it are selfish morons. I've had a couple of friends who let their insurance lapse because they couldn't afford it during a bad patch, but they drove carefully and as little as possible during those periods. People who drive SUVs but need 8 to 10 tries to get it parked correctly make me a bit mental.
Call.Me.Ishmael
3 years ago
^Yep, max out your uninsured/underinsured motorist because you can't count on others being responsible. This is especially true in areas with large transient populations like seasonal workers.
datinman
3 years ago
It’s funny that people who drive really big vehicles for a living can drive them very well but wannabes can’t drive smaller big vehicles worth a shit. Same with boats.
Huntsman
3 years ago
I have a friend who just bought a larger SUV as well as a trailer for her kayaks. She spent an entire day in an empty university parking lot practicing how to to turn, back up, park, etc. That's the smart way to do it if you've never driven a big vehicle before.
Call.Me.Ishmael
3 years ago
driving is a skill as well as a privilege that many take for granted. you either have the skills and a "feel" for it or you don't. some guy i used to hang with at the strip clubs told me how he learned. he had a friend of his for a few nights help him out with some lessons. the practice area: a cemetery.
rattdog
3 years ago
Well, we ricks can drive pretty much anything. Sometimes we choose to drive poorly for the shits and giggles. You know, pull out the drivin’ whiskey and have a good time watchin’ ape bounce off the hood. Hell, doin’ that shit is so much fun I’ve even reprogrammed my Tesla autopilot to emulate the driving of a drunk. I just dial up the level of drunkenness I desire, sit back with a cocktail, and enjoy the ride. It’s good to be a rick. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
3 years ago
I think the % of Detroiters without insurance is slightly over fifty!
PhredJohnson
3 years ago
Truckers drive cars like a demented 13 year old.
skibum609
3 years ago
I turned 16 in 1958 and bought my first car. I paid $150 for a '49 Chevy and bought the minimum liability insurance of $5,000 for $200/yr. Now at 79 I own a Mustang Gt with 460hp. I carry $300,000 liability and full coverage on the rest of it. It's my biggest expense at $800+ per year. I've never had a claim.
shadowcat
3 years ago
$800 a year is good. I psy $2280 a year.
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
$2280/year, sheesh your driving record must suck right now. I mean sure you're younger than most folks on here but from what I've experienced the rates drop dramatically after you turn 25 and from there is a steady decline as long as your driving record stays clean. Insurance is the ultimate rip off. Like Shadowcat I've never had to file a claim and I don't even want to think of how much I've paid lifetime. Just imagine, all that money could have went to strippers instead! Only thing it seems to be good for is protecting yourself from shitty uninsured drivers.
TFP
3 years ago
Tfp. My driving record is pretty good. Full coverage is expensive out here. Age having a sports car. I've had 3 accidents in my life none were my fault. Only had q ticket. For parking too close to the curb. Im seriously considering selling my car and just using Uber. It comes out to less than paying for a car
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
Because insurance can be expensive, especially for poor people with bad credit. A lot of people don't realize this but the your credit rating and the area you live in are the two most important factors in determining your insurance cost - far more so than the value of your ride. So when a poor person who lives in a shitty area and has bad credit applies for insurance for his/her shitbox, he/she is all too often priced out.
rickdugan
3 years ago
I have been told by 2 insurance agents that the high cost of auto insurance is due to the huge amounts of money that juries have awarded in accident cases.
shadowcat
3 years ago
Having insurance is white-privilege
Papi_Chulo
3 years ago
When I moved from Dallas to my Miami Cuban suburb, my insurance doubled (literally doubled while having the same coverage and same company). Miami is mostly working-class + immigrants - so they don't often have the $$$ (or think they can't afford it); and come from countries where paying high insurance premiums (or insurance at all) is not a thing - so it becomes a vicious cycle; rates are high b/c of a lot of uninsured motorists and there are a lot of uninsured motorists b/c rates are high. Below is a list of states and cities w.r.t. uninsured motorists: [view link]
Papi_Chulo
3 years ago
Man I know a lot of guys that have made stupid money selling insurance to people. It’s a good gig if you’re aggressive enough.
shailynn
3 years ago
Good link papi. Fuck texas lol.
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
===> "Because insurance can be expensive, especially for poor people with bad credit." To illustrate, a girl who I was seeing OTC for a while pays almost as much for her insurance on one new car as I do on two and my new car is much more valuable than hers. I should add that both of my cars have full collision and uninsured motorist coverage. I also cover two drivers while she only covers one. Her problem is that her credit sucks. Apparently there is a high correlation between bad credit scores and the risk of future problems, like claims and payment issues. Worse though, her problem isn't limited to insurance. She also makes the same car payment on her new car as I do on my much more expensive car, despite having no trade in. That is because I financed my newest car at essentially 0% APR due to good credit and a modest down payment, while she got raked over the coals on the interest rate. Being poor with bad credit is expensive.
rickdugan
3 years ago
A credit score is based on your ability to repay amounts you have borrowed. An insurance score predicts the likelihood of you becoming involved in a future accident or insurance claim — it is based on information gathered from policyholders with similar credit characteristics who have had previous claims with them. I have a perfect credit score but slightly below perfect insurance score. That slight difference only costs me about $5 more.
shadowcat
3 years ago
^ Yes but to be clear the insurance score is credit based. The premise is that people with lower credit scores are statistically more likely to present future problems. [view link]
rickdugan
3 years ago
some insurances are BS anyway though. I got hit on my motorcycle by 2 cars on the highway. 1 of those 2 cars ended up totaled as well as my bike. Here lies the insurance problem. The guy had an insurance that covered UP TO $10,000. the car that was totaled had 8x more damage than mine (cars cost more than bikes) so the insurance gave them $8800 toward fixing and me only $1200. both cars at that point totaled/salvaged pending what you wanted to do with the vehicle. So even with a person having insurance, I got $1200 to pay for my bike and medical costs when hit on a motorcycle... A person may pay $150 a month for insurance. That is $1800 a year. Some are better off just paying someone off few hundred dollars to "go on their way" vs getting insurance. Im not saying it's right bc its not, but thats the mindset of some. Even with others having insurance, I got screwed. Also depends if you are in a fault or no fault state
besmitty
3 years ago
Real reason many drive w/o insurance is because they get away with it too easily, if the state repossessed license plates from lapsed insurance it would go a long way towards reducing the amount of uninsured motorists on the road. Remember most folks get insurance on a month to month so it’s easy for someone to sign up for a policy and pay the first installment than just skip the rest of the payments
twentyfive
3 years ago
It varies by state. But in some you can't just get new insurance if yours lapses. You get fines. Your registration can be suspended. Those costs all add up. Plus the hassle. Insurance rates should be regulated.
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
"So even with a person having insurance, I got $1200 to pay for my bike and medical costs when hit on a motorcycle... " Then you should sue the guy for the rest that you are owed. He's still responsible for your costs even though it went over what he insured himself for. Had a distant relative who caused an accident and even though they had insurance the person sued and she ended up having to sell her house to pay the debt. I think it's a good idea to cover yourself for a million on liability.
yahtzee74
3 years ago
^ ^^Suspended registration means very little be much better if plates were removed, and as far as carrying larger liability limits that will make you a lawsuit magnet
twentyfive
3 years ago
@besmitty, that's why I carry uninsured/underinsured insurance, too many drivers driving with minimum required coverage
SaltyNuts
3 years ago
Youre out of touch with reality....you have no empathy for peoples hardships
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
Interesting link, Papi. Seeing those CA cities in the top ten makes perfect sense. Union City and Fremont are small cities in the Bay area populated mostly by Indian tech workers employed in Silicon Valley. Pleasanton is also a pretty well off city on the outskirts of the Bay Area. Dugan there may be other factors as to why your insurance is much lower than your OTC mate. I bet you have homeowners insurance and multiple cars covered all with the same company. Plus you obviously have many more years of driving experience than she does. Probably also live in a better area than she does, and probably have your cars listed as 'garaged'. Add all that up and you damn well better be paying much less than she does.
TFP
3 years ago
My insurance rates are fucking retarded. My credit score is actually quite high. Idk I totaled a car last year on an interstate shoulder to avoid getting hit by a semi that was gonna crash into me while he was changing lanes. I shoulda just let him hit me. Cuz now I have an at fault accident. And now I got a fucktard I dont think has insurance who backed up into my front end on a new car. Fucktard was driving a chevy Silverado and had the bright idea to back up into me at a drive thru??? Who fucking does that even. Fuck. Also hardship my ass. A lot of these people if they can afford a motherfucking car that isnt dirt cheap then they can afford insurance too.
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
I can say right now if drive through didnt have cameras and there wasnt a dude at the drive thru behind me I think I woulda beat up and or stabbed this short little Mexican up who jacked up my grille.
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
===> "Youre out of touch with reality....you have no empathy for peoples hardships" Sadly, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but ICEE is one of the few posters in this thread showing a lick of sense. License plate repo guys? Seriously? Putting aside the impracticality of doing this, in large part because of the massive (and largely unrecoverable) human resource expenditures needed, the inhumanity of this approach should be enough to make one question this. Poor people behind on their bills would be hiding their license plates at night and maybe parking their cars several blocks from their homes. LMAO. Poor people pay more because they tend to have bad credit and live in higher crime areas. Some of them just can't swing an exorbitant insurance bill ON TOP OF their other necessary expenditures. So instead of kicking them when they're already down, most state governments tend to walk the middle ground except when the perp is unlucky enough to get pulled over with a revoked registration. There are some seriously out of touch people on this board, lol. Now wonder I have so much more fun for such reasonable money with strippers than many of you do. I grew up hard and poor too so I can relate to what they deal with. You have to be in the position of having to choose between paying an insurance premium or the electric bill before you can truly relate. I guess some of you lace curtain Ivory Tower types will forever struggle to understand.
rickdugan
3 years ago
You really are a moron but who gives a fuck why am I out of touch with reality when you idiots are the ones complaining about uninsured drivers, If you let them keep driving and they cause you a problem I’m just going to laugh at you and your idiot troll partner
twentyfive
3 years ago
@Dugan all I know is, if they can't afford the premium on that super charged Dodge whatever the fuck sports mobile, then maybe they shouldn't buy the fucking thing.
TFP
3 years ago
People are stupid, broke and careless. In South Florida bar parking lot I once got hit by a 20-something trust fund baby or sugar whore. Not sure which. She was driving a brand new jaquar convertable that she had to "dui-plugin" blow to start. She had no insurance so I made her pay me 1200 in cash.
goodyman
3 years ago
While we are on the subject of stupid and desperate... Ever have someone steal the "registration sticker" off your license plate? Happened to me, and it didn't fall off.
shailynn
3 years ago
===> "@Dugan all I know is, if they can't afford the premium on that super charged Dodge whatever the fuck sports mobile, then maybe they shouldn't buy the fucking thing." Nice straw man argument, as if most poor people are buying souped up sports cars, lol. But it's not the worst thing posted in this thread - that credit goes to the person who thinks that states should hire armies of license plate repo guys and gals. 😉 The problem is that poor folks get beat up even insuring their shitboxes, for reasons we already discussed. I will readily admit that I drove uninsured and on a bad tag for years. I bought a new economy car in my early 20s and when I went to insure it they wanted almost as much per month for the insurance as I was paying to the financing company for the car itself. I had bad credit, lived in a crappy area and had an accident and some tickets on my driving record. So I scraped up the first insurance premium and then never looked back. I was BAF working full time while also taking a full college course load. I literally couldn't afford the additional payment. Between work and school I was lucky to sleep 5 hours a night as it was, so taking on more work hours was not an option, but I desperately needed the car. Walk a mile boys and girls, walk a mile.
rickdugan
3 years ago
^ No body suggested states should hire armies of people to seize license plates you stupid cocksucker all I actually said was if the person is allowed to keep plates even after letting their insurance lapse than they would keep being able to drive those uninsured vehicles you have the reading comprehension of a stupid motherfucker whose allways looking for a fight Driving is not a right it’s a privilege follow the fucking rules or get off the road. But we should expect no better from a cocksucker who thinks driving while buzzed is no big deal.
twentyfive
3 years ago
BTW if you are pulled over by the police and do not have insurance your vehicle will be impounded, in most jurisdictions, so how much do you think that costs, now let’s hear you talk about having empathy for poor folks, you stupid fuck.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Between school, work, liquor buying expenses at bars, and the cost of getting the book thrown at him for driving both drunk and without insurance, Ricky has had quite the hardships in life. Poor baby.
nicespice
3 years ago
===> "BTW if you are pulled over by the police and do not have insurance your vehicle will be impounded, in most jurisdictions, so how much do you think that costs, now let’s hear you talk about having empathy for poor folks, you stupid fuck." Yes twenty, we are all aware of that, which is why most people driving around like that suddenly become much better drivers - because they don't want to give the police any excuse to pull them over. I know that I drove much better when my nose was open, which is how I was able to wait out those negative marks off my record until they dropped off. And if not an army of repo agents, how in the world did you expect the state to take the plates away? Were you envisioning people voluntarily lining up at the DMV to hand their plates back over? LMAO.
rickdugan
3 years ago
===> "Between school, work, liquor buying expenses at bars, and the cost of getting the book thrown at him for driving both drunk and without insurance, Ricky has had quite the hardships in life. Poor baby." Sadly I didn't have liquor expenses back then. Those came later when I could afford it. Back then I had to work my ass off just to keep a roof over my head and the lights on while I pushed through school - summa cum laude (ripe for a joke I suppose) I might add. My biggest liquid expense was coffee - I drank gallons of the shit to keep me going.
rickdugan
3 years ago
Dumbass most police cruisers now have plate readers if the insurance is lapsed it should be in a database no army of reposessors necessary if it was known that the police are impounding cars guaranteed the majority would stop the criminal behavior
twentyfive
3 years ago
Not having insurance isn't a crime. But can lead to criminal charges due to related circumstances
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
^ Driving without insurance is a crime how is it possible that you’re even serious
twentyfive
3 years ago
Miami is the worst with this. I don't buy the "immigrant's don't have money bs" either. It's just selfishness, and "rules don't apply to me" attitude.
goodyman
3 years ago
Selfish fucks always think the rules apply for everyone except them ala RickiBoi aka 2Icee Both are ridiculous and both are boorish
twentyfive
3 years ago
Its illegal it isn't a crime. You don't get a criminal record for it.
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
5, yes, we are also aware that cops have plate readers. So what you are really saying is that you want the cops to become that army of repo agents. How fucking stupid can you be? For starters there aren't nearly enough cops to cover all the uninsured cars on the roads. Also traffic issues are not always the top priority for police and rightly
rickdugan
3 years ago
...so. Each one of those interactions ties up one to two cops plus a tow truck and driver for at least an hour. Not exactly a great use of limited police resources. So instead they sporadically engage in those activities to set the example and let people know that they are out there, but to make this a serious priority they'd have to divert resources from important things like chasing after pedophiles, kidnappers, rapists and even simple deference activities in high crime areas.
rickdugan
3 years ago
^ It’s so fuckn tedious discussing anything with you both of you are experts in making straw man arguments I’m done here you fellas go and commit whatever crimes you like RickiBoi will be like but officer I’m special and icee dodo will be I know the law so in reality you fellas should be collies.
twentyfive
3 years ago
^ ‘Cellmates
twentyfive
3 years ago
@Dugan do you know how many shiny new cars I see in the shittiest of neighborhoods? There are plenty of poor folks buying shit they shouldn't be. Thanks to (bad) credit they can drive off the lot with that 21% APR and show off to their friends that they are ballin. Those used car commercials that scream 'bad credit? No problem!'. They target poor folks. Also stop assuming that you are the only one in this thread who's gone through hardships in the past.
TFP
3 years ago
25 its not about driving without insurance its about understanding the complexities of it. You cant empathize with anyone
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
There's nothing complex about. No insurance? Don't drive.
doctorevil
3 years ago
How fuckn complex, the law is clear take the bus , buy a bicycle,it’s obvious you’re just an entitled prick. Why don’t you have some empathy for others you don’t have more rights than anyone else and you should be aware if you break the law you will pay the price if you get caught
twentyfive
3 years ago
I don't drive without insurance but i understand how hard it is for some people. Not every place has adequate public transportation. And not having insurance isn't always by choice. Nice to see you so maw abiding. Remember that the next time you solicit prostitution
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
And exactly when do I solicit prostitutes I told you many times before speak for yourself, you really don’t know me at all you seem to be like your BFF RickiBoi making up shit out of your ass.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Coz women throw themselves at you coz you're a millionaire
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
Driving without insurance is a serious crime perpetrated by the very stupid. Why do they do it? It takes no effort and therefore fits with their view of life. Joe Biden will send them money...
skibum609
3 years ago
Its a $100 fine.... serious crime lulz
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
In America, where I live, a first offense is $500. Losers always think committing crimes is ok. Its a community deal....
skibum609
3 years ago
You need car insurance to drive in Florida. If you're caught driving without auto coverage, the state might fine you, suspend your license and registration, make you file an SR-22 or even put you in jail. And your premiums may go up a lot when you buy a policy. If you’re involved in an accident the penalties will be much more severe
twentyfive
3 years ago
You don't have to lie In the state of Florida, it is illegal to drive any motor vehicle without proof of insurance or financial responsibility. ... The penalties for driving without car insurance in Florida include a reinstatement fee of $150 up to $500 for subsequent violations, and the driver must provide proof of current Florida insurance.
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
^ Who’s lying and what about ? Stupid fuckn bigoted coward
twentyfive
3 years ago
I know you are
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
Because the Insurance Industry is worst than paying the Mafia for “protection” because it is “Legalized” Organized Crime.
CJKent_band
3 years ago
I wonder what life would be like if I was such a shut-in that I convinced myself that poor folk are driving absurdly expensive cars and so much of a buttercup that I believed that driving without insurance was a "serious crime?" LOL. Folks, anomalies aside, neither is normally the case, lol. But it must be nice to live a soft disconnected life that I believed that either was the case. Ooohhh, fines and license suspension IF you're caught...oh me, oh my on no! Immigrants and welfare Moms driving Beamers - LMAO. Some people really need to get out more and experience more of society's economic and social diversity. 😉
rickdugan
3 years ago
Btw, do you Law & Order types on here know what poor folk do when their registrations and licenses are suspended? They keep driving anyway, lol. It's not like they forgot how to drive or their cars stopped working, lmao. Most of them can't afford to miss work and still need to shop for food and other essentials, so they wing it until they can either fix the issue or they are unlucky enough to get pulled over. There are very things more punitive to poor people than the way we currently enforce our driving laws. Between insurance mandates that make them pay a boatload to keep a shitbox on the road and the ease of which we suspend driving privileges for economic reasons like unpaid speeding tickets or insurance premiums, once a low income person gets in the hole it can become nearly impossible to dig out. This is all a man made problem and it is long past time we re-examined how we do this to the most vulnerable people.
rickdugan
3 years ago
LMAO all TFP does is point out that sometimes people buy vehicles outside what would be prudent to be in their budget. Btw I’ve hung out in several rent-controlled apartments and yes you will find late model SUVs and sports cars there. Not all the cars, but a decent amount. And that isn’t just a “poor person” thing meant to shame them. Middle class people lease vehicles that they probably shouldn’t. Whatever, it’s life move on. Yes, if one wanted to suddenly care about social justice, one could point out those places could make it easier to be able to work on vehicles in the parking lots. Improve neighborhood walk ability and public transportation. Solving the problem of food deserts so that the most easily accessible source of groceries isn’t a Dollar General. And on and on… But hey, Rick is a champion of the poor because he’s driven without insurance before. LOL Hey, lots of people have done things before that they shouldn’t have. Most just simply acknowledge “yeah I shouldn’t have done that” without trying to twist it into some type of moral diatribe. Speaking of “yeah I shouldn’t have done that” years ago when I was in school, I had the car filled up with stuff for moving in, and not much visibility. Yes I should have checked the side mirrors more closely, but I ended up backing up into a really shiny looking mustang and denting it. The driver was upset because “she had just over a thousand making it look good”. I tried to hand over my insurance, and she told me “I don’t have time for that right now” I was flabbergasted and walked away to continue to move stuff in. She drove away. Later she contacts me and asks me to call my insurance. I ask her why she can’t do it. (I don’t think my insurance would have even covered it) No reply. So basically, I did something stupid and avoided getting my already high rates (like $100 a month at the time) from going even higher because somebody else neglected to buy insurance for herself. Insurance is protection, not just service to society. Which btw I paid for car insurance by myself at the time thanks to a combination of a $10.75/hr job and also financial aid checks from the school. The actual vehicle I was driving was thanks to my parents but for everything else, I was on my own. Btw if you were at a 4 year university, most are designed in a way that you don’t strictly speaking NEED a car to work a shitty low wage job, have access to food, and access to classes anyways if the going was too tough.
nicespice
3 years ago
@nice spice thank god no one was hurt but using Ricks no big deal analogy suppose someone was seriously injured and need hospital care or worse died and needed funeral having no insurance is criminal and would leave those poor folks in a precarious situation, Dugan as I’ve always said is a great example of what not to do In other words just ask yourself WWDD (what would Dugan do) than do the opposite.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Depending on the state, driving while uninsured ranges from a misdemeanor to a purely civil offense. Depending on the surrounding circumstances, it can potentially lead to a prison sentence. Whether or not it winds up on your criminal record also varies by state and surrounding circumstances. However you want to slice up the legality, driving without insurance is at best irresponsible. I give some leeway to those who have a gap in their insurance for a couple of months due to a financial rough patch, but at certain point you just have to buy a bike and/or a bus pass and leave your car in the garage until you sort things out.
Call.Me.Ishmael
3 years ago
Nice understands the condition of poverty because she used to live in a rent controlled apartment. That was eye opening. 😉 The silliness and softness in this thread knows no bounds, lol. Nice, to your points about knowing how it was to be poor, I was one of them for many years. I lived in a place with hookers and drug dealers strolling back and forth outside my window. I slept on a mattress on the floor and used a toaster oven and hotplate as my main cooking tools. I connected a hose to the bathtub spout to I could have a "shower" while sitting in the tub. I drove uninsured and with a revoked license because I had no other decent option. I had warrants out on me for traffic issues that I had no money to resolve. These are the reasons that I continue to be involved in community charities now, especially those for kids and immigrants, which continue to put me back into those neighborhoods. I also have immigrant family members that live in those neighborhoods. And no, you won't find a lot of souped up expensive sports cars in those places, lmao. Maybe my kids will be as soft and disconnected as most of you are. I'm spoiling them enough that they should be. But if you really want to see what the poor are driving, spend some time working at a food bank or meal program and you'll see for yourself. Yes there are exceptions, but you won't find many late model German cars coming through those lines.
rickdugan
3 years ago
^ Omg! Me too! No wonder we get along so well! That explains why you love to play golden shower so much! I love hooking my hose up to the shower and making it rain on you!
BBBC
3 years ago
@Rick of course there aren't a LOT of poor driving souped up sports cars. My point was there are some folks who spend outside of their means, some when it comes to cars, that then complain that insurance is too expensive. You're talking about people in seriously dire straits. I'm taking about folks who aren't bringing in much money but still enough to get by. Dudes out here with the shitbox car, shithole apt, and still spend on weed and hookers. But no basic liability car insurance. Or it's the guy who decides to not spend on the weed and hookers, but buys that Dodge Challenger on shitty credit but doesn't get insurance because it costs too much. That's who I was talking about.
TFP
3 years ago
I know an elderly woman who lives off social security. She lapsed on her insurance by 2 months. The dmv fines added up and she couldn't pay registration fees without insurance. Got fined for not having registration. She got parking tickets for expired tags. Then her car got towed and impounded. She couldn't afford to get it out it got auctioned off. It wasn't the nicest car. But it was her late husband's and meant a lot to her. That story is more common than making people without insurance out to be calculated criminals
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
@TFP you're trying to reason with a moron, a normal thinking person wouldn't double down on his straw men instead as @nice spice said, he would be a mensch and admit that he really shouldn't be such an entitled asswipe, that driving without insurance, really wasn't a smart or decent thing to do, instead he will say all kinds of stupid shit, just to say he is perfect, and everyone else is wrong.
twentyfive
3 years ago
IDK if most insurance companies do it this way but mine charges a good amount more if one pays in monthly installments vs paying it all at once making you feel you're getting a raw-deal/being-overcharged if not paying all at once - perhaps this is a further impediment
Papi_Chulo
3 years ago
I'd imagine there are a lot more people driving around with out insurance right now after Covid.I know in Ohio the BMV let people get away with expired drivers licenses and vehicle registrations until July 1st of this year, that means there are probably a higher number of people than normal driving around with an expired license,expired tags and no insurance. A lot of people that were barely getting by paying their bills before the pandemic probably let their car insurance lapse trying to pay other expenses like their car payments. Way too many people in this country live paycheck to paycheck and are just one missed payday away from not paying their bills. I'm not just talking about low income people that are barely scraping by with the minimum because I can understand their struggles and most of them, but not all, are doing a good job of balancing a small budget to cover the necessities but can't find the extra money to save for emergencies. I'm talking about middle class and above people that spend every dime they earn as soon as they get it. These people spend above a reasonable amount based on their income on their home, car, clothes, trips etc in order to make themselves seem wealthier than they are. Many of them also spend a lot on credit cards to keep up their lifestyle. A lot of these people were caught off guard during Covid because if their income was impacted at all they had no savings and weren't able to keep up with their high mortgage, car and credit card payments. I'm sure quite a few of these people had their insurance lapse at least briefly over the last 18 months.
whodey
3 years ago
===> "Way too many people in this country live paycheck to paycheck and are just one missed payday away from not paying their bills." This. And when you go down your list of household expenses trying to determine what you can do without, car insurance is going to be first on that list because losing food, housing, utilities, the car to a repo guy, etc., etc., are all more dire outcomes than losing car insurance.
rickdugan
3 years ago
You’ve convinced us let’s do away with insurance completely and let everyone drive however and whenever they decide is best for them, do away with driver laws completely drink liquor while you’re driving, eliminate speed laws, traffic lights, turn when and whereever you like and end insurance, sounds like a RickiBoi type of thing. Free up those cops so they can arrest RickiBoi’s straw men because they’re the ones committing most of the crime around here.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Every law has to be weighed against its potential consequences. Car insurance mandates are the most oppressive requirement that almost any state puts on its working poor. It ranks even higher than excise taxes and right up there with vehicle inspection requirements. So yes, I would like to see car insurance mandates go away, though that will never happen because insurance company lobbyists pour obscene amounts of money into state politician campaign coffers. This of course is the same army of lobbyists who got rich convincing state lawmakers to adopt these requirements in the first place. When a cop pulls someone over for insurance issues, he's really acting as an arm of the insurance industry. Oh, and for those of you who have never lived in a high tax Nanny state with vehicle inspection requirements or excise taxes, let me explain... A vehicle inspection means that you must bring your car in to an authorized shop every year or two to be hooked up to a machine to measure exhaust and other safety metrics. If your vehicle fails, you have a grace period to fix the problem or have your registration yanked. Invariably the shop who fails you offers to fix the problem right then and there - it's quite a racket and a huge burden upon poor people trying to get by with older vehicles. An excise tax is a personal property tax levied by cities and town on the estimated value of your vehicle. It can easily be several hundred dollars per year. Failure to pay this tax can also result in vehicle de-registration and/or license suspension. Eager to belong types like 25, who never saw a herd he didn't want to be a part of, love stuff like this because it makes him feel like he's part of the collective that is "doing the right thing." But these requirements are killers for working poor people who need their vehicles to get to work and stores.
rickdugan
3 years ago
Moral of the story is that Rick is just as bad with money as the strippers he likes to obtain discounts from. (Maybe even more so) Despite a car not being necessary to attend school, he decided he NEEDED it (as opposed to thinking it would be “nice to have”) and drove it recklessly multiple times to obtain the “multiple tickets”, earlier I accused it being DUI charges but I suppose it could be simple stuff like regular traffic violations. It wasn’t specified anyways. Whatever. And his hardships in life, as far as what has been described, is that he had to shell out his own money for college. Here is why I have no sympathy: [view link] What a soft and disconnected individual who projects onto others, including even his own children in this thread. (P.S. have they received any actual mental health care yet? Or have you decided that if they aren’t wearing fabric over their faces all problems magically disappeared?)
Lil_Baller100
3 years ago
LOL 😂
Lil_Baller100
3 years ago
^ What's a thread without a troll account or 10 I suppose. Since you obviously lack perspective, there are very few places in this country where public transportation is reliable and widespread enough to allow one to forego a car completely if one must work and go to school. I did not live in one of those places, nor was I a fluffy student with parental backing living on campus. I was already completely on my own and had to keep a roof over my head while shouldering a full course load.
rickdugan
3 years ago
@Lil_Baller100 did you just switch from Henny and coke to Adderall? That was some fucking lucid shit right there.
SirLapdancealot
3 years ago
Colleges tend to be self-contained communities and basic stores for immediate needs are walkable. If you want a decent paying job, I can see where a commute is required. If you just needed any job, plenty are provided from both campus and nearby businesses. Oh, and most college campuses have apartments nearby off campus. College IS the easiest time to be in one of those few places in the country where public transportation is more reliable (even in towns with overall poor public transit). Also, googled to confirm what things would have been like around the time you went to school. 1965 is the first year there was federal guarantees loans and 1980 was the introduction of Pell Grants…where students from low income backgrounds were GIVEN money without having to pay it back. So assuming you were born in 1965, give or take a few years, you went to school during the sweet spot of when financial aid resources became readily available *without* the later brunt of tuition spikes later on. You were absolutely a fluffy student 👨‍🎓
nicespice
3 years ago
(And an irresponsible driver)
nicespice
3 years ago
Yes so someone has to be soft and have an easy life to say driving without insurance is ok. Whatever I agree with TFP. I see ghetto or retarded immigrant motherfuckers who got brand new pricey cars like 40k+ dont wanna get insurance. Sorry but if ya cant afford insurance with ur $700 or whatever a month car payment then u cant afford that car and get a cheaper one maybe. And ya I agree these people come up with a few hundred a month for their weed/coke/pills but cant find a few hundred a month for their insurance. Or come up with a few hundred per clothing item for some ghetto ratchet overpriced clothes nobody on earth thinks looks expensive but o ya cant get insurance. Lol f off outta here Sure I feel for the legit poor who have a cheapass car they can barely keep up and can hardly or cant afford insurance and cant even eat well. But most of these people are the type of trash like I described above.
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
Lol typo above. Meant it doesnt rly make someone soft to hate no car insurance having pieces of dog shit Lol besides that ya dunno the fuck any of us have lived thru so fuck off outta here :)
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
Idk I guess to some I am out of the loop but I have met so many ghetto motherfuckers that overspend somewhere then "cant afford insurance " or something else. Well no it's that u cant afford ur bmw or u cant afford ur apartment so ur cutting necessities to have unnecessary luxury
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
Nice, I won't pretend to know what your circumstances were, but you'd be advised to take the same expansive view. I was completely on my own at 20, including financing my own vehicle and with no parental home to return to during the Summer and holidays. I had very little college under my belt at that time. I lived in an expensive northeast state and had to keep a roof over my head year round while I slogged through college. Every penny I could squeeze out of financial aid went to cover my tuition - there was nothing left over for living expenses. The only places I could afford to live in were basically shitty areas far away from the city center where I went to school. So yes, government imposed expenses for things like car insurance premiums, excise taxes and vehicle inspections were all killers for me, as they are for many working poor. And yes, I needed that car to get to work AND to school. But even if it was just work, that would have been enough for me to flout whatever requirement I needed to in order to feed and house myself until I could graduate and get a better job. For poor people who are already struggling to make ends meet, these are inevitably the first things to go whenever they hit a rough patch.
rickdugan
3 years ago
Basic liability insurance isn’t terribly expensive. I could give a fuck if you have comprehensive or collision for your own car, just have coverage for the damage you cause to other people. Fair, right? There’s tons of hit and runs in Philly because there’s no enforcement of traffic laws, so no one’s checking to see if a car is registered or insured. In the hood, they mostly ain’t. If someone hits a pedestrian or totals your car and theirs in an accident, there’s usually some piece of shit driving or running away. My advise - avoid driving there like the plague - patronize the suburbs where people generally adhere to the social contract of personal responsibility.
Studme53
3 years ago
I’m always amazed by guys like RickiBoi they’re so fuckn special all the time, funny how they always push for everyone else to be personally responsible yet for their own behavior they demand a pass, what a self entitled prick.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Lol me and nice have separated accounts if you were responding to me. I know for a period we were trolling and switched but that's been a whiiiile. I was on my own too no parental help at 20 ya shit sucks and my insurance was high but I also had a more aggressive v8 which I think was part of it. Still had liability even back then. Idk I wasnt finding excuses to not buy car insurance? I didnt start stripping till 23 so it isnt like I could just make my 6 month premium in 1 good shift... w/e
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
If people really want to know why insurance prices keep creeping up... even when you have a clean record. Look at what new vehicles are made of. Look at all the sensors in vehicles. Look at what it costs to replace ONE sensor... or if 1 sensor goes out... THEY NEED TO REPLACE THEM ALL or "recalibrate" them all. Look at what it costs per hour of "shop time".... etc. That is why insurance keeps going up for everyone. FYI... wait to you see what homeowners premiums jump if lumber, building costs stay high.... you will see some homes go up by $500 if not more in certain areas. Also think about this when you go vote.... when someone is pushing for a minimum wage of over $20 a hour... what do you think that will do to costs of everything. You think the guy who is paying his construction workers $20 a hour now wont have to jump up his wages to keep employees? Here is a quick little example for you... say it takes a full crew to reshingle a roof in one day... 10 hours of work... 10 guys....Right now if that guy is paying his crew $20 a hour.... that is $2000 in just labor costs that day... if he has to jump that $5... that is another $500 he will have to raise up just for LABOR costs... that isn't figuring in his work comp insurance, liability insurance... which is based off of... WAGES for the year. So lets just figure out the work comp or how much more that contractor will have to carry... ie: increase in wages... So if the average worker works about 2000 hours a year (40 hour for 50 weeks).... that is 20,000 extra hours for a crew of 10 people. That is an extra $100,000 in workers comp insurance that the contractor has to have to cover his crew with just a $5 an hour increase in wages... which depending on the rate would be about another $10,000 in work comp premiums (depending on where they are located).... so a little addition... with just a $5 per hour increase in wages for a year of a construction operation with a crew of 10 people.. would pay an extra $110,000 a year in work comp insurance and employee wages..... so that is $110,000 out of the owners pocket for 1 year!!!! What do you think that will do to prices of the services that they do???? Sorry for the insurance rant... but this is what people don't understand with insurance and with raising wages. Do you think a business owner will take over $110,000 hit to there pocket books??? Now think about grocery stores, big box stores, etc. You think they want to take this big of hits to their bottom lines???
crsm27
3 years ago
Idk where this rant about wages and insurance came from? I was never for jacking up the minimum wage. From what I've seen in Oregon and Washington, it has made things a lot worse for low wage workers. Example- when min wage was like $10 out there, I was able to live by myself no roommates on $16 an hour at just some regular bullshit ass job. These days that same job only starts at like $18 or $19 an hour and the starting apartment price for something that isnt a ghetto piece of shit is like $1100+? Out there... Basically people starting out at that same job these days now need roommates to qualify for an apt and pay bills. I've also seen in places like Wisconsin that have a $7 min wage nobody fucking makes that little. When I was there for a minute I applied to some $18 an hour to start job as a joke and they were willing to immediately interview me with like a several yr resume gap LOL. Idk whatever to each their own.
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
25 is too stupid to know the difference between personality responsibility and the desire to avoid onerous government imposed obligations. Not surprising. 😉
rickdugan
3 years ago
^ On my stupidest day, I can't get close to your level of stupidity, you are so special RickiBoi you're in a class of your own.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Later on today if I remember, I’m going to figure out how much different things costed in Boston in 1985 and what resources were available at that time. Feel free to drop actual year or location for more accuracy. 😁 I’m pretty confident that it wouldn’t have been that bad though, and if it truly is then I’ll write out a mea culpa.
nicespice
3 years ago
^ Of course you'll try to make it an academic exercise, because that's all it is to you. Like I said, soft and disconnected. People who have actually lived hand don't need to pull out a spreadsheet to understand that even a modest additional bill can be one too many. ❄️
rickdugan
3 years ago
Hey Dugan, you're such a dipshit know-it-all, in the 1980s there wasn't any major confrontations going on so even a chicken shit keyboard warrior such as yourself could have joined the army, but they would have made you, be all you can be, which isn't very much, but your school and living expenses would have been covered You were very much a self absorbed entitled prick even back then.
twentyfive
3 years ago
So I settled on one random school. University of Massachusetts Amherst. Going to factor in the cost of being a “fluffy” person who lived on campus with a meal plan as opposed to living in an apartment + groceries + car because all I could find is median apartments for the whole country, and not specific to the area. And I realized I don’t want to try to figure out how to get that information. It’s fun digging through numbers but that project would be a bit too ambitious for me lol I gave one year a peek. The academic year 1985-1986 [view link] The in-state rate for classes, roof over your head in a dorm, and a meal plan was for an entire academic year for 9 months out of the year would be $4191. Rick came from a poor upbringing. So pell grants will be factored in. In the 1985-1986 school year the amount anybody received ranged from $200-$2100. 3.6 billion was distributed to 2.8 million. Dividing that out, I will guess the pell grant was $1285 [view link] Therefore the burden of school was $2906 for the year. For both tuition and living survival if living on campus. Won’t take scholarships into account despite that should have been available for a summa cum laude graduate. Take out student loans, and those burdens wouldn’t have been immediate anyways. But let’s assume Ricky is a self-made man who was above student loans. We will now consider minimum wage. [view link] In 1985 minimum wage is $3.35/hr. Let’s assume he was only making the legal minimum and didn’t have a promotion or find a marginally better job that paid slightly more. Since he worked full time 3.35 x 40 x 50 = $6700. 5% taken away for Massachusetts tax Is $335. 1985 federal income tax = $357. [view link] Total net for the year $6008. Subtract obligation to the school which is $2906 and that leaves $3102 to figure out housing during the summer, and whatever money he wants to spend on clothes, entertainment, and very clearly a car. (That he drove in such a way to give himself additional burdens via traffic violations) Yeah…doesn’t seem so bad. Not a luxurious life could have been afforded. But a do-able one.
nicespice
3 years ago
^ In my lifetime, college tuition has skyrocketed. That's what you get for subsidizing it, and making going $250,000 in debt for a pre-barista degree normal.
Tetradon
3 years ago
[view link] Yeah seems like starting from 1980 it was starting to be more problematic, but more doable. But then 2003 on jeez. But it’s a different privileged time period Rick lived in so expect me to keep trolling him for his crybaby ways that he couldn’t buy basic auto insurance because of ✨college✨ The stripper hitting him up to buy tires or whatever was in his recent thread is probably way more financially responsible than he was.
nicespice
3 years ago
Anyways, I don’t get the defensiveness over a thread where Blah ranted against people without auto insurance. Not 100% of details but pretty sure she just chose an unmoderated fuck board to vent because…why not. I’m not going to claim to be a shining example of emotional control, but for one example when I see threads of people railing against dancers using their cell phones and ignoring the room, I haven’t gone on a long-winded rant against the partriarchy or anything else blaming society. (Despite being guilty of said behavior many times). Though come to think of it, maybe I should. 😈
nicespice
3 years ago
^This is a great website to talk shit my friend Me and sirlapdance are still waiting in line to play with your wiener 🌞
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
This thread kinda changed direction to prices. In that direction, when the minimum wage we t up to $15 per hour where I live, restaurants and bars added a 3% surcharge to every bill. Businesses do not absorb wage increases. They just pass it on to the consumer.
mike710
3 years ago
25 and nicespice, stop picking on Ricky! He didnt do anything to you! He just had a HARD life and he is a HARD man! A HARD man is good to find. 😉
BBBC
3 years ago
^^ Damn right that we ricks are HARD creatures. But not in a way that would feed into your juvenile fantasies. Just get over your weird attraction to ricks. While ricktraction is totally understandable it is only reciprocated when the creature is a sexy female. Or maybe a ladyboy tiger. But only in Thailand. But we all know that what happens with a ladyboy in Thailand stays in Thailand. Not to mention the fact that we were kind of wasted. Really wasted...no normal drivin’ home with a bottle of drivin’ whiskey wasted.... Anyhoo, I’m digressing. The big point is that you’re cruisin’ for some wildebeest treatment Mr. BBBC. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
3 years ago
RickDugan said, "Of course you'll try to make it an academic exercise, because that's all it is to you. Like I said, soft and disconnected. People who have actually lived hand don't need to pull out a spreadsheet to understand that even a modest additional bill can be one too many. ❄️" ^ okay boomer ❄
48-Cowboy
3 years ago
Boomers are pussies
48-Cowboy
3 years ago
I just bought a car two weeks ago. Couldn't imagine driving or even having my car parked without full coverage.
NinaBambina
3 years ago
It sucks being a boomer. I mean who wouldn't want to get drafted and get sent to Nam? Oh that's right the war ended right before ... lol. In addition: Why would anyone want to go to college when aids and herpes were two words no one knew? I mean who wouldn't chose no condom sex over condom sex with a threat of illness. Going to a bar on my 18th birthday would have been a bigger deal if I didn't have a fake I.D. and 2 years experience already. Much better now at 21 lol. Work was something all men did back then; unlike the psuedo, fake macho, gender fluid ^ men of today, whining about others being pussies, while they primp in a mirror. Now we get to the worst part of all: knowing that you had a great future and could fuck up a bit when young. Its much better today when an outburst after a few beers follows you for the rest of the life and you have no chance at a good future, as you could be legislated out of existence by the woke crowd. The worst thing possible would be a white, male, conservative boomer, who liked to party, have a lot of sex and enjoy life, but someone had to do it and thus I volunteered. Pool looks great today, so maybe some 4:20 and a swim during lunch. Great to be a boomer pussy, enjoy your weak assed day young uns.
skibum609
3 years ago
^^ u may not know this mr skibum becaus ur not very smart but u have just made a really cogent case for the proposition that BOOMERS SUCK BIG FAT DONKEY DONGS u had everything handed to u by parents who actually had the guts to fight for freedom from a real enemy in ww2 and korea then u turn into pussies and lose a pointless war but ur only concern is whether or not u could be drafted. yes ur a real patriot then u refuse to pay it forward by helping the next generation because WAH WAH WAH THAT WOULD MEAN PAYING TAXES finally u wont even wear a mask to protect ur fellow americans because u think it only affects u because ur a stupid selfish pussy who doesnt even comprehend how communicable diseases work. i guess that cheap college didnt teach u critical thinking skills did it dumbass and worst of all ur generation thought this dumbass outfit was cool: [view link] and once again since ur clearly a moron i will splain something for u: skibum is a boomer and boomers suck donkey dongs so logically: SKIBUM SUCKS BIG FAT DONKEY DONGS!
DoctorPhil.
3 years ago
Hey guys my generation is known for the greatest music Stop picking on Boomers [view link]
twentyfive
3 years ago
I feel like Gen X ia just right- not so old, bitchy, and easily confounded as boomers; but not so ignorant, soft, and whiny as millenials. Most of us got it juuuuuust right. Don't hate.
gammanu95
3 years ago
To the original point of the OP, this is anoyher "there is no single answer" question. Many people will say it is NBD until they get hit or, more likely, hit & run by an uninsured motorist. I can't go so far as to say it should be a primary offense, but it should result in full revocation of your driver's license (minimum one year) and seizure of the vehicle for auction to compensate your victim(s). It sucks not to drive, but if you cannot afford it then you shouldn't. I couldn't afford a car and insurance and college and incidentals when I was young. What did I do? I took public transportation when I could, and I biked when I could, and I walked when I had to. Being broke is no excuse for breaking the law.
gammanu95
3 years ago
Oooooh skibum! Wanna join our donkey show? 😉
BBBC
3 years ago
more donkey shows?
ArizonaMayer
3 years ago
Skibum609 is proving my point about boomers. He seems to be an EXTRA SPECIAL BOOMER. Not all boomers are bad, but Skibum609 is showing he is a self rightous, self entitled idiot. Granted Vietnam was a bad war, but you pussy boomers lost. If you are such a tough guy Skibum, why didn't you enlist instead of running away like a little bitch? If you would have had any balls, you and all your buddies would have enlisted and went over there and kicked ass like Gen X did in desert storm. WAH WAH WAH, It was so hard growing up being a boomer! Being a boomer sucks! Why did you grow up Skibum? You could have ran your car off the road while racing for pink slips and not had to worry about growing up, lol. Oh yeah, you were too big of a pussy do anything scary.
48-Cowboy
3 years ago
Generational animosity is idiotic.
Call.Me.Ishmael
3 years ago
relax mr ishmael regardless of how u feel about generational animosity u have to admit that mr skibum is the worst of his generation or any generation i mean rly if he had cited vietnam as a hardship for his generation and expressed gratitude that he was lucky enuf to come of age just after the draft. all while lamenting the sacrifices of those who actually went to war BUT NO he starts off with selfish shit. mr skibum is all ME ME ME while complaining about everybody else plus he makes everything political and gets folks all riled up. politics in the front room makes baby jesus cry and dont tell me that u are down with making baby jesus cry on the other hand i do understand his odious qualities now that i have seen his photo [view link]
DoctorPhil.
3 years ago
It is, but it's like a train full of strippers hitting a car full of clowns being described by a troupe of mimes. I just like to watch these fools go. Just like idiot #1 and idiot #2 arguing. If the thread is going to get hijacked by impotent keyboard tough guys, we may as well enjoy the show.
gammanu95
3 years ago
Ya idk what is so fucking hard about insurance. Cant afford to buy a car and have at least liability insurance on it? Then get ubering/lyfting. Use public transit. Fucking morons out here. I would actually guess more out here drive without insurance than papi's cool link would suggest. I remember some dumb bitch that dabbled with stripping who totaled her car on the busiest street out here and she was crying about no insurance and now she has no car. And I recall it wasnt the cheapest neither. But I also feel like a large percent of these cars out here are stolen. Never seen so many temp/paper plates in my life till recently like these ghetto retarded fools just printed it out yesterday.
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
Temp plate right now = stimulus money. Couple sitting at home with 4 kids just got close to $20k last year in stimulus money. A lot of people went and bought new cars. I can’t remember the exact number but I believe something like over 70% of all Americans qualified for a stimulus check. We all joke here that the brokest PL on TUSCL makes at least $350k a year but in reality according to the stats almost 7 out of every 10 posters here qualified for stimulus money in the past year.
shailynn
3 years ago
Those stimulus checks were a huge mistake. Inflation? What the fuck did you expect when you just print-out and throw billions of dollars into a shrinking economy? If you think insurance was unaffordable before, just watch what happens next.
gammanu95
3 years ago
bruh my insurance rates have always been kinda high and I'm actually not a bad driver and have great credit, like 760ish last I checked.
blahblahblah23
3 years ago
Anybody have their auto insurance with Allstate? I've gotten snail main and seen commercials claiming that they have new lower rates. I think that I remember hearing that they have a bad reputation when it comes to paying claims.
shadowcat
3 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion