FAVORITE DECADE OF POP MUSIC

Monday, February 7, 2022 2:24 PM
i've been checking out the pop charts for every year to discover anything that i may never had heard before. anyway my first choice for preferred decade is 1975-1985. just so much quality and variety. some of you may question the quality though - a lot of disco. i'm not ashamed to admit it as i like disco a lot as much as rock n metal. 1963-73 was my second choice.

14 comments

I think everyone picks the music from the time period that you grew up in. What was playing when you were about 20 years old. Anything from before you were about 10 is considered "oldie" music.
Warrior15
2 years ago
Got into music when I was 11 or 12, so the 1990s for sure. 70s and 80s had good stuff, too, as did the 60s and 40s. But disco sucks.
ElDuderino_AZ
2 years ago
I think Warrior is likely correct in assessing what era will appeal to most. When I was a kid, in the early 70’s, we had an AM radio, and very few choices. We didn’t have money to buy records. I remember how great it was when you heard a favorite song being played. I was a notorious trash looker. I got my first bicycle by scavenging parts from the neighborhood garbage. I also got a few records from scrounging through the trash. My big scores were Janis Joplin’s Pearl and The Doors Morrison Hotel - and Black Sabbath Paranoid. Nothing was like Sabbath! The late 70’s didn’t do much for me musically, with the disco influences. I was largely into Led Zeppelin and Sabbath, and disco seemed like it was too soft. As the 80’s came along, music seemed to change, as MTV became popular, and there was some music that I found enjoyable that was also popular. The 90’s were a bit odd, as grunge seemed to be a poor substitute for real metal. So, that wasn’t a favorite of mine. However, with the rap influences coming along, and big booties, there was music with some great beats, and good club vibes coming. The early 2000’s were good, and fun. There was more identifiable emotion in the music, and that was good. I think my favorite era was the mid 80’s, with pop as music videos added to the enjoyment of the music. I could afford to buy cassette tapes and listen to specific songs too.
Cashman1234
2 years ago
50s and 70s then 80s. 90s have some good music too
Icee Loco (asshole)
2 years ago
90s, mostly based on my age. Grunge AND early hip hop. 70s is better than 80s, but I know there was a ton of absolute garbage in the 70s along with the actual good rock. 00s were pretty mediocre.
JamesSD
2 years ago
Gimme 1985 - 1996 and I'm good! 1986 is prolly my favorite music year and year all around
gothamyte
2 years ago
How did the "rock & roll" of the 50's turn into the rap crap of today?
shadowcat
2 years ago
2000-2010, which for me was my mid-20s to early 30s. Grunge had mostly gone away, Eminem hadn't burned out all his neurons, and the trash currently called "pop" of autotune and Cardi B hadn't begun fucking up the airwaves yet. Everything from Green Jell-O to Psy, Katie Perry to Outkast.
gammanu95
2 years ago
For me, it would be 1956 to 1966. I think the best year for music was 1965. That year the following groups and solo artists put out albums: The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, The Zombies, Otis Redding, Chuck Berry, Herbie Hancock, Loretta Lynn, Them, The Byrds, The Beatles, Miles Davis, Paul Simon, Ray Charles, Merle Haggard, Frank Sinatra, Dusty Springfield, Joan Baez, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Temptations, The Yardbirds, The Kinks, The Supremes, The Animals, Donovan, The Who, John Coltrane, Ramsey Lewis and Sam Cooke.
docsavage
2 years ago
^ I’d extend that to 72 or 73, but you must be close to my age or older
twentyfive
2 years ago
The 90s were the golden age of house music
Icee Loco (asshole)
2 years ago
@shadowcat "How did the "rock & roll" of the 50's turn into the rap crap of today?" However it happened, this was definitely a contributing factor, and probably the most identifiable tipping point: [view link]
misterorange
2 years ago
^ well that collaboration most certainly gave aerosmith a 2nd life to be big major rock stars again. puff daddy making it big was maybe the biggest reason why we all had to deal with the majority of the rap being real shit for the past 25-30 years.
rattdog
2 years ago
one would be hard pressed to find 10 pop acts from the past 22 years that would have been signed to a major record label from the 70's to the 90's.
rattdog
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion