Looks like wait staff appreciates us even less than strippers

Sunday, July 16, 2023 2:41 AM

15 comments

If she took a classes in statistics and logic, she might get a better job. Some older people at one table in one restaurant didn’t organize their dishes the way I prefer Therefore, all older people suck and my generation is morally superior.
mark94
10 months ago
Maybe gen z appreciate someone else doing their job for them? This would annoy many people.
drewcareypnw
10 months ago
A friend of ours retired as CEO of a company. He used his free time to help his wife understand how she might more effectively do housework. She did not appreciate his input.
mark94
10 months ago
I’m definitely a boomer and my group has always stacked the plates. Where is she from - maybe it’s more of a regional thing not age
motorhead
10 months ago
In a restaurant with trained servers, they would never leave empty plates on the table unless were asked not to take them away sounds to me like a less than professional server, whining about nothing.
twentyfive
10 months ago
All you boomers complain that later generations are less. Less polite, less hardworking, less smart. When one of the younger folks tells you that younger people are nicer customers, you complain that the young worker is lazy, but no credit that the younger customers are more polite. It might lead one to believe that you old fucks just like to complain.
Hank Moody
10 months ago
Back in my day, my stay at home mom did all the cooking and cleaning, and she took up the dishes at the end of dinner, before she bought out dessert. So we never learned how to stack the plates.
iknowbetter
10 months ago
@HM The complaint seems to have been initiated by one of the younger folks, because they don’t want to actually do their job, don’t make this about boomers, we don’t really care one way or another.
twentyfive
10 months ago
No, that’s the boomer side of it. Try seeing it from the other generation’s side. That younger customers are more considerate of wait staff. It’s good manners. Nobody is saying you dined incorrectly all of your life, just that dining habits are changing. It really takes little effort to stack the plates while you’re waiting for the check and it helps out the wait staff. If you don’t want to change, fine, just realize that the younger generation is doing it better.
Hank Moody
10 months ago
I notice that given the way the plates are stacked a server would have to pick up the stack using two hands, one each side of the plate. Never seen a server carry them this way. I would also note that young people probably justify leaving a shitty tip because they did some of the work. I leave a mess and tip a third; no one bitches. Doing it better? Lol. Bullshit.
skibum609
10 months ago
I’m a pretty big tipper, if they’re really doing better they need to thank me for the tip.
twentyfive
10 months ago
I worked as a waiter for several years when I was much younger. I still stack my plates, etc., to make things a bit easier for the server when they come around to clear. I don't see it as generational. It's a nice thing to do and very low effort. I don't care if anyone else eating with me does so as well, but I still do it. Low-hanging fruit on the karma tree.
Call.Me.Ishmael
10 months ago
Probably just a result of Gen Z spending most of their dining experience in fast casual bus your own table type restaurants. Can you imagine stacking plates at the table of a Michelin star restaurant? smh
datinman
10 months ago
Eh, my kids worked as servers and taught my wife and me to do it. I apparently have less ego about learning something from my kids than y’all. It’s just a nice thing to do and I’m a nice person.
Hank Moody
10 months ago
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gen-z-rejecting-everything-ve-183959350.html So... Gen Z is more likely to stiff the waitstaff, but hey look how nicely they stacked the plates.
datinman
10 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion