Driving to Hong Kong in TJ

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:55 AM
Anyone have any experience driving to Hong Kong and using their own parking lots? Thinking about making a trip, but I kind of want to take my car to do some sightseeing in Mexico after the party.

35 comments

It's a different country with different rules and crooked cops - I'd be wary but I don't have firsthand experience
Papi_Chulo
5 years ago
Driving to Hong Kong? I thought AOC was the only one who would try that.
flagooner
5 years ago
I was at the clubs in TJ last night from 8 pm - 3 am as a first timer. Wow. I’m a fan. As for parking and driving there you would probably be fine but the cops are really bad. I lived there for a year 20+ years ago. I got pulled over close to where the clubs are back then. The cop said that I didn’t yield to two ladies on the corner that were waiting to cross. It was total BS (there were no ladies) but they required a $40 fine on the spot.
captainfun
5 years ago
Driving a car in Mexico with plates from the states great idea, make sure you have a lot of cash with you to take care of the mordita
twentyfive
5 years ago
25 spot on. Cops love targeting U.S. plates down here and shaking down the drivers for B.S. traffic violations. Especially in Zona Norte. They'll search you and try to find pot or a vape pen or anything else to shake you down for even more of a bribe. Best bet is to park on the U.S. side, cross on foot, and take Uber to everywhere you want to go. Uber is super cheap in TJ and you don't have to worry about crooked cops or Mexican liability insurance.
OldGringo
5 years ago
Your best bet may be to rent a car in Mexico, and hope the cops don't spot you as a Gringo.
gammanu95
5 years ago
I have a friend that years ago would drive to Mexico and carry Bibles with him and would offer to the police/federales/highway-patrolmen instead of money (mordida- bite) and make them believe he was a man of the cloth and most times they would let him go saying “OK Father you can go”. But I doubt it will work today. Better option to fly or take the train to San Diego and cross the border on foot and use Uber or the public transportation system in Mexico for sightseeing, it will be safe and economic, uber drivers will be happy to help you. Just remember people will treat you the way you look and behave. So being clean shaven and behaving like a gentleman is the key to be treated like a gentleman. And don’t drink more than you can handle, don’t go to unsafe places or do anything illegal and you will be fine.
CJKent (Banned)
5 years ago
You'll have to buy Mexican insurance if you take your car over which will cost you about $30-$40 for a couple of days. If you're going to be spending that much, you might as well use taxis, ubers, or rent a car on the Mexican side.
Liwet
5 years ago
I would want to be more Mexicanized before driving a motor vehicle across the border. Eventually though. SJG
san_jose_guy
5 years ago
In my opinion, part of the reason that the Zona runs so well is that it is a car free utopia. SJG
san_jose_guy
5 years ago
@san_jose_guy The Zona Norte is not a car free utopia. Have you ever tried crossing the street, it can be quite the adventure, oh that's right: You've never been there.
Cristobal
5 years ago
I've done a lot of driving in Baja MX but NEVER with TJ as the destination. Don't drive in TJ other than passing through to get somewhere else deeper south.
DeclineToState
5 years ago
But you can pick up a girl and get her into bed, without the use of a car and without her having to take off her high heels. That is how it sounds, and I think that is a big part of how it works. Am I mistaken? SJG
san_jose_guy
5 years ago
Drive in mexico hell no
Countryman5434
5 years ago
I have plenty of friends who have driven down baja to Rosarita. A long time ago I went clubbing in TJ with friends (dance club not strip club) and we parked in TJ and paid some random guy loitering in the garage to "watch the car". But driving back at 3 am was awful and I'm glad I wasn't behind the wheel. It depends a bit on what you're driving and your willingness to take on risk. I hear coastal baja is gorgeous, much more like what socal used to be before it was heavily developed.
JamesSD
5 years ago
^^^^^ Is being a car free utopia part of why the TJ Zona works so well? SJG
san_jose_guy
5 years ago
No way in hell I’d drive in Mexico. At least not with my own car. The only sight-seeing I’d recommend in the TJ area is lovely young naked Latinas with their legs spread on stage or in your room. Seriously, there is NO other reason to be there if you’re not Mexican.
JAprufrock
5 years ago
Street tacos?
JamesSD
5 years ago
@JAprufrock I must politely disagree. I'm not Mexican but I like to take my favorite bar girls out of the Zona Norte once in a while (mall, movies, bars, clubs, dinner, etc). Plus, Rosarito is pretty close. That being said, I never drive in Mexico as the taxis and Ubers are reasonably priced and very efficient.
Cristobal
5 years ago
I wouldn't drive. What everyone else said about taxis is spot on.
rh48hr
5 years ago
I have always wanted to go to rosarita ensanada or tijuana beaches but i would take a taxi to convienant
Countryman5434
5 years ago
Ensanada and Rosarito are great beautiful places , anybody been to the La Bufadora ? I have , beautiful Mexican wonder Beautiful as a Tijuana street hooker goddess opening her legs and squirting !!! ^^
nemesisk7
5 years ago
I drove my car in one time and then parked in pepe’s parking lot around the corner from hk. the traffic back to the border was a real bitch. ( and you should have Mexican liability insurance)
Jascoi
5 years ago
Don't take your car into TJ
bang69
5 years ago
Anyone here session with a girl in Ensenada? Mexicali? San Luis Rio? SJG
san_jose_guy
5 years ago
Im sick of being so far from tj
Countryman5434
5 years ago
@SJG I had a front room makeout session once with a lady from Ensenada. Her husband was kind enough to take some pictures. I can email them to you if you’d like.
JAprufrock
5 years ago
@Countryman5434 Use the bus service to go to Ensenada (about $10), Uber for Rosarito, and a Taxi for TJ beaches.
Cristobal
5 years ago
Let's drive to Cabo yall.
TJ Lee
5 years ago
My best friend and I drove the Baja 1,000 in a '55 VW dune buggy before they built the road.
shadowcat
5 years ago
^ Did you guys follow the old dinosaur trail ;)
twentyfive
5 years ago
Pretty much so! :)
shadowcat
5 years ago
^ Have you ever been to the Yucatán, the state of Quintana Roo?
twentyfive
5 years ago
I could write a book about my trips through western Mexico by car, camper, bus, ship and air plane but never been on the east side.
shadowcat
5 years ago
About 15-20 years ago I was a subcontractor on a project building cell phone towers on the section of the Pan American Highway down there, I spent a lot of time thee, the people are friendly, I enjoyed that entire region from Cancun to the Guatemalan border, the town of Playa del Carmen was my favorite place in all of Mexico even better than the old Acapulco and Merida, at that time most of the east coast was as raw and undeveloped as the pacific side, now you’ll need to go south of I think Rosarita to find that Mexico.
twentyfive
5 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion