Money exchange/hotel Ticuan/September visit

Saturday, August 10, 2019 5:25 PM
Several folks have mentioned in reviews that it is cheaper to pay in pesos rather than dollars. If that is the case, where is the best place to exchange dollars for pesos? San Ysidro, TJ? Has anyone stayed at Hotel Ticuan? It appears to be a bit cheaper but, significantly nicer than Cascadas. It looks to be a 15 minute walk to HK. Finally, I'll be in TJ 13-16 September, if anyone is interested in meeting up for a few beers let me know. I live in NC so, TJ is a bit of a trip for me. I usually stay in San Diego and commute. This time, I think staying in TJ would maximize my time there. Just trying to make the best of it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

7 comments

Pesos is good for dealing with street girls. I've seen SGs went to the money store to change dollars to pesos, and lose a few dollars from the store's rate. HK girls are hardwired to take dollars especially the $100 and $60. ATMs give the best rate but use the ones inside HK and its hotels, Cas&Riz, they're safer. Apply for the totally free international debit card from Charles Schwab, it repays all your atm fees, daily limit is $1000. Staying at Cas is the best deal as you can take hk chicas to your room.
TJ Lee
5 years ago
Thanks Anislee
devl_dawgg
5 years ago
For me the best places to exchange your dollars for pesos are in TJ (you will get a slightly better rate). Look for the ones which say "no comission" I would only use the ATMs in the Hotel or next to it, if I needed emergency money because the ATM charges about $5 for the transaction and your bank may charge another fee. I have not stayed at Hotel Ticuan. As the date of your trip approached, post on this board about a meet up, tight not might be a little early for some Mongers to know when they will be in TJ.
Cristobal
5 years ago
It is possible that I might be in TJ at the same time you are and would enjoy meeting up. FYI, Eastcoaster is also from NC. It might be a stretch, but you might inform him of your visit. Don't know if he monitors this discussion. Good guy to hang out with. Unlikely he will be there at the same time, but you never know. I second the recommendation for staying at Hotel Cascadas. Another reason for doing so is that walking to the zone from there at night can be risky. I was near there at 2:00 am and the main street was nearly deserted. Nearly, because there were a few surly looking characters occupying the sidewalk. Never walk anywhere outside the zone after dark. Also, pesos for street girls and dollars for bar girls. Bring lots of ones. I would not use any of the ATMs in Mexico. Ran short on cash and was nipped $37 in fees from Bank of America. (Of course, BofA sucks, so YMMV.) There are ATMs in the mall before crossing the border. And there are ATMs in the San Diego airport.
PutaTester
5 years ago
You can always get change with no commission from the HK bartenders. They have pre counted stacks of singles etc ready to go. First time I went I took $300 in singles, totally unnecessary
5 years ago
Tahoecruz, I do monitor the TJ discussion group. Unfortunately, I am currently stuck on the East Coast without a plan to return to TJ. Desire yes, plan no. At least not yet! :-) Devl_dawgg, have fun!
EastCoaster
5 years ago
Thanks guys!
devl_dawgg
5 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion