Favorite cocktail

Saturday, November 16, 2019 6:45 AM
Many of you know that my favorite cocktail is the gimlet. Be it the modern 2/3-1/3 recipe or the older 1/2-1/2 it is hard to beat the classic. However, we rick’s are nothing if not epicures, so we enjoy many cocktails. The only rick-specific cocktail I’ve mentioned is the rickarita, an ironic number based on Pepe Lopez and Blue Curaçao. Sometimes I include the lime to make the rickarita more like a traditional margarita, but that reduces the alcohol content. Of course, one can use Patrón Citrónge and keep the alcohol content high while still approximating the more traditional margarita, but the Citrónge kind of conflicts with the cheapness of the Pepe Lopez, which is part of the fun. Also, a pro tip (a rick tip, if you will): use the colorless Curaçao and simply add blue dye (or dissolve in some blue Kool-Aid crystals). The blue stuff you get from the liquor store typically has lower alcohol content. But you have to have the blue in the drink because you will spill rickarita on yourself when you’re drinking the rickaritas and how else are you going to remember that you spilled? What is your favorite cocktail?

19 comments

Life's too short to limit myself to one favorite. So, Red Hook - Michter's Rye, Punt e Mes, & Luxardo Sazerac - Michter's Rye, Lucid absinthe, & Peychaud's Bitters Aviation - Nolet Gin, Lemon juice, Luxardo, & creme de violet Rarely can get these made correctly anywhere but my home bar. So, when I'm out and about it is just a Rye Manhattan.
datinman
5 years ago
I'm not a huge cocktail guy; in most cases, I'd rather bump up the quality of the liquor and drink it straight or with a few drops of water. Gin is one of the exceptions. I like martinis, of course. When I want something lighter, I go with a 50/50 martini. Also sometimes get gin rickey, gin & tonic, and negronis. Whiskey I usually like straight, but do sometimes get classic whiskey drinks -- sazerac, manhattan, old fashioned, etc Rum I only savor straight up or with a little water - high end rum is a huge pleasure of mine Vodka is only worth slamming shots Tequila, slam shots if it's mid-range stuff, or sip the high end stuff
Subraman
5 years ago
A screwdriver made with almost any kind of decent alcohol is good for me .
Jascoi
5 years ago
My CFs would discern my PL alter ego if they peruse tuscl and I were to post cocktail preferences so I will Decline To State with specificity, ha. But basically Subra+1 except for my whiskey is on the rocks not neat, and no martinis. There is a little known cocktail that's excellent when done right - man of leisure - bulleit rye, blanco (non-aged) tequila, splash of ginger beer, and lime. Most cocktails with ginger beer get overwhelmed by it (ie, Moscow mules) but not this one.
DeclineToState
5 years ago
I avoid cocktails. I’ve spent too many nights in clubs - downing too much booze - and not remembering much or anything. I will drink a beer and be good to go. I was a fan of gin and tonic, vodka on the rocks,, and bourbon over ice. But I rarely stopped once I started.
Cashman1234
5 years ago
I had my first Margarita in the cantina where it was invented. Hussongs Cantina Ensenada, BC, Mexico in 1941 by a bar tender that worked there. Look it up. There is now a Hussongs Cantina in Las Vegas and Hussong's has their own label of tequila. I don't drink any more but if I did, I would want the original. None of this sissy strawberry stuff for me.
shadowcat
5 years ago
Beer straight up.
jackslash
5 years ago
A Meat-arita using lines from my own backyard w/Costco tequila, a rye Manhattan using those high end cherries, old fashioned using an aged Jamaican rum with prior stated cherries and walnut bitters, vodka martinis with my homemade stuffed bleu cheese olives, and finally my mai tai when island hopping.
Mate27
5 years ago
My favorite is vodka infused wine. ANY vodka mixed with ANY white wine. Excellent for this monger. Although, tonight I did have a sweet tea and vodka chased with a sweet JD Cider and tea. I’m a fucking red neck that can’t tell good liquor from bad. The only exception is OCEAN VODKA. That stuff is SMOOTH!
Nidan111
5 years ago
Anyway, I nominate gin rickey as the official "rick" cocktail. Bonus: every female who I've given a try of my gin rickey, has loved it (although I've never ordered one in a strip club)
Subraman
4 years ago
Although Subra-ape has a point, I have worried that making the rickey the official rick cocktail - or ricktail, if you will - might be a bit TOO on the nose. That said, you have good taste Subra-ape. This rick prefers gin to bourbon in his rickey. Not that this rick doesn’t appreciate quality bourbon. This rick also wonders if making a rickey with Citrónge rather than lime juice would make for a more alcoholic rickey - a ricky rickey, if you will. Perhaps the ricky rickey could be my new driving cocktail. Hell, I could even add food dye so I can monitor how much I spill on myself. Good idea Subra-ape! ROAR!!!
rickthelion
4 years ago
Dear diary: today, I made progress towards achieving the vaunted status of Nearly Rick
Subraman
4 years ago
Today I made status of being more SJG-like! Lol.... That’s funny!
Mate27
4 years ago
I’m sitting at the bar here at Boston’s and it took the fucking bitch 15 minutes to even acknowledge me. It’s not that busy and she’s just fucking around. Pisses me off there are so many useless cunts tending bar.
JAprufrock
4 years ago
^Pour that man a drink
DeclineToState
4 years ago
===> "This rick also wonders if making a rickey with Citrónge rather than lime juice would make for a more alcoholic rickey - a ricky rickey, if you will. Perhaps the ricky rickey could be my new driving cocktail. " It's a sad day when I see a rick admit that his favorite cocktail is a girly drink. ☹️ But no worries rickthelion. A few whiskeys on the rocks should put a little hair back on your chest, or in your mane as the case may be.
rickdugan
4 years ago
My favorite cocktail is bourbon.
Call.Me.Ishmael
4 years ago
The fact that you guys drink your whiskey on the rocks bums me out man. Bums me out. I think we have to up-rick the entire group
Subraman
4 years ago
I hear you rick my friend, but - with due rick respect (or rickspect, if you will) - one thing you’ve never understood is that when you’re as badass as the two of us the world forgives these little quirks. Remember when I decide it would be extra badass to drink only báijiǔ? rickthechinaman convinced me that báijiǔ was the most badass drink on the planet. So I drank a whole bottle and somehow I woke up in Shanghai. Have no idea how I got there. No passport, no money, and no idea how to speak Mandarin. If it wasn’t for my incredible badassery I would have had my gall removed and sold to make boner pills for 100 year old Chinese millionaires. But I made it back! First to my home in tha NC and then back to the states where I can fuck all the hairless ape whores with my BSLC. So can I ask you to indulge me brother! ROAR!!!
rickthelion
4 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion