OT Rant: Wiring Money

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 7:27 AM
So maybe this isn’t so off topic for some but I wire money a lot for a variety of reasons. I’ve used just about every available service at one time or another and it can be frustrating. In an effort to protect dumbasses they often ask a lot of questions about to whom and why you are sending the money. One (moneygram) in particular has held the money and wouldn’t forward it (to protect me from myself) for hours while I fought with them over the phone to JUST FUCKING SEND IT. Now even banks apparently are getting into the act. The best, no-cost and fastest way to get someone money IME has always been to deposit cash directly into their bank account if you have the account number. I’ve done this for years but recently during Covid 19 I did exactly that at Wells Fargo and they put a 3 day hold on my deposits. IT WAS FUCKING FOLDING CASH THAT I GAVE YOU! I don’t know any Nigerian princes and all the women that I know I have met face to face. I’m a brick and mortar type guy and don’t seek romance (or hookers) off the internet. Now I can understand these companies’ liability concerns about dementia patients like Sleepy Joe Biden being conned by harlots like Qué Mala Harris and I don’t have an answer for that. But for the average dumbass sending money to people they don’t know or women running a romance scam on them I say FUCK them. You are either an adult or not . It should not be the responsibility of someone else to protect you from yourself. Life is tough but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.

12 comments

Federal law requires these organizations to make an effort to prevent illegal financial transactions. Drug dealing. Money laundering. Tax evasion. That sort of thing. If they don’t ask questions, they can be held legally accountable. So, when you send $1,000 to your Aunt Sally, they are going to ask questions that seem out of place. Blame the law.
mark94
4 years ago
@mark94 Yeah I’m pretty familiar with the money laws. I’m not too happy with them but after 9-11 we aren’t ever going back. On my rant, it is a different issue. The questions are more like “Are you responding to a request for funds from the internet or someone you don’t know?” or “Have you been promised money if you send good faith money first?” Same thing with “romance scam” type questions. Clearly not questions on money laundering or compliance issues. I was pretty pissed about the Wells Fargo incident. I have an account with them and I gave them actual cash in person to deposit into another Wells Fargo account that my friend had. She had a long time pre-arrangement with them to be able to transfer money to her overseas bank account and they put a hold on her getting access to the money I deposited. IT WAS FUCKING CASH! But it was Covid 19 and everything else had initially shutdown. (And I wish it were only $1000 lol.) The world we live in is a fragile place.
BabyDoc
4 years ago
Sending hoes money?
IceyLoco
4 years ago
I recently used Zelle to receive a payment - it was a breeze - didn't even have to download the app as I could connect to Zell from within my own bank account - all I had to do is give the person paying me was my email. For international transfers I've used TransferWise which is pretty economical.
Papi_Chulo
4 years ago
I used to occasionally deposit cash into a sugar baby's account but the banks here stopped allowing that a few years ago. Checks are fine but not cash.
magicrat
4 years ago
Western Union.
skibum609
4 years ago
Cash app
IceyLoco
4 years ago
After some resistance, I have started using Zelle. It's actually pretty easy.
Warrior15
4 years ago
In regards to strippers, I've learned to only give them cash in person. Wiring money gets you ripped off.
jackslash
4 years ago
If you are aware of the banking laws - you understand it’s related to laws in a post 9-11 world - and they are not just breaking your balls because they enjoy it. It’s on the bank to be aware of who is providing the money - and who is receiving it. A decent deposit of cash - that is immediately wired to another account - is one of those flags that bank office staff are trained to recognize.
Cashman1234
4 years ago
@jackslash Well I would have to say that if you believe that you are arranging a future business liaison then sending money is probably a worse idea than even paying in advance for a vague promise of what’s going to happen in the VIP. That’s not my case and the sum total of my sending money to working girls in my lifetime occurred earlier this year in response to Covid-19. I did send some money to some bar girls, there was never a question in my mind that there was a real need, I sent it as a gift with no expectation of pay back in any way, and to the credit of all the girls I know only ONE has asked for money. I kind of wish more had spoken up but I was the one who initiated when I did send cash. I’ve also given some more thought to the Wells Fargo incident and though they knew me and my purpose for making the deposit, I now realize that the large amount (not to a bar girl, btw) may have triggered the hold even though it was cash. Any ways I got a good night sleep and feel better but I still say that if someone is foolish enough to get scammed into sending money to a scammer, it should not be the responsibility of any of these companies to ask questions in order to save a fool from himself. Thanks to all those who offered non-troll inputs.
BabyDoc
4 years ago
@Cashman I have had more than my share of suspicious activities reports. Nothing I can do about that but try my best to stay under the radar and be as clean as freshly fallen snow when they come for me. lol
BabyDoc
4 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion