OT: Fuck Rolling Stone

Thursday, January 28, 2021 6:22 PM
Fuck all the mainstream polls. This is the TUSCL poll. If you had only 10 albums to listen to for the rest of your life, what would they be? I think we've had similar discussions on top artists, or top songs, but I'm talking about complete albums, start to finish. (I was gonna ask for 5, but realized that was too restrictive when I started putting together my own list). Think about the entire body of music out there during your lifetime or before you were born. No particular order, just your top 10. And no "greatest hits" albums. Only original releases. Mine would be: 1. Boston "Boston" 2. Billy Joel "52nd Street" 3. Eagles "Hotel California" 4. Led Zeppelin 4 5. Pink Floyd "The Wall" 6. AC/DC "Back in Black" 7. Scorpions "Love at First Sting" 8. Metallica "Metallica" (The Black Album) 9. Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" 10. The Cars "The Cars" 10 probably isn't enough, so feel free to go beyond 10. Here's a few "honorable mentions" Journey "Escape" Foreigner "4" Bob Marley and the Wailers "Catch a Fire" Meat Loaf "Bat out of Hell" Michael Jackson "Thriller" The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

35 comments

The Doors "The Doors" Led Zepplin 4 James Brown "Live at the Apollo" Johnny Cash "At Folsom Prison" Michael Jackson "Thriller" Bruce Springsteen "Born to Run" Nirvana "Nevermind" Jimi Hendrix "Are you Experienced" The Beatles "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde" Garth Brooks "No Fences" John Coltrane And Thelonious Monk "At Carnegie Hall" Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" Robert Johnson "King of the Delta Blues Singers" Albert King "Born Under a Bad Sign" Prince "Purple Rain" Stevie Wonder "Songs in the Key of Life"
whodey
3 years ago
@whodey Johnny Cash "At Folsom Prison" is one I missed. I guess if I was stranded forever, Folsom Prison Blues would help get me by.
misterorange
3 years ago
Depeche Mode, Music for the Masses Depeche Mode, Violator Depeche Mode, Songs of Faith and Devotion No Doubt, Trajic Kingdom Janet Jackson, Rythm Nation U2, The Joshua Tree Def Leppard, Hysteria Café Tacvba, RE Mana, Amar Es Combatir Nirvana, Nevermind
Cristobal
3 years ago
ked zeppelin albums 1,2,6,8,9 rolling stones some girls van halen fair warning dire straits alchemy queen the game judas priest unleashed in the east
rattdog
3 years ago
I sold most of my albums off during the summer of 2018 and the few remaining ones are at my other house so I can't thumb through them and throw out some titles but a few faves are... Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus Stones, Let It Bleed - Sticky Fingers - Some Girls - Get your Ya Yas Out Eagles, Desperado Pink Floyd, The Wall Derek and the Dominos, Layla Bob Seger, Night Moves Dylan's Soundtrack, Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid Something from U2 and The Cure The above quickly came to mind. There are so many others.
TheeOSU
3 years ago
Beatles, "Revolver" Beach Boys, "Pet Sounds" Rolling Stones, "Exile on Main Street" David Bowie, "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" Sex Pistols, "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" Jam, "Sound Affects Helium, "The Dirt of Luck" Blur, "Parklife" Cibo Matto, "Viva! La Woman" Billie Eilish, "When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?"
docsavage
3 years ago
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine Groove Armada - Black Light Ministry - Twitch Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime Nas - Illmatic Rush - Grace Under Pressure Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand Gang Starr - Hard To Earn Police - Reggatta De Blanc Here are 10 albums that I don't have to skip a single song ON ANY OF THEM and they cover just about any possible mood I could be in. For the few hip-hop heads on here, I love anything produced by DJ Premier or Alchemist. So many times these two have turned shitty rappers with shitty verses into classic songs just by their production work.
shailynn
3 years ago
Guns and Roses, Use your Illusion 1 and 2.
Sgtsnowman
3 years ago
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon; Van Morrison - Moondance; The Ramones - Road to Ruin; Green Day - Dookie; Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmos Factory; Blink 182 - Enema of the State; Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy; Jim Carroll Band - Catholic Boy; The Guess Who - Share the Land; Fine young Cannibals - Fine Young Cannibals;
skibum609
3 years ago
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue Allman Brothers - Fillmore East Yes - Yessongs Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks Joy division - Closer REM - Murmer Pixies - Doolittle Bjork - Greatest Hits Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
datinman
3 years ago
John Fogerty - Centerfield (1984), Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn (1991), John Hiatt - Bring The Family (1987), Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (1975), Van Morrison - Moondance (1970), Doobie Brother - Takin It To The Street (1976), Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus (1978), Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life (1986), Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True (1977), and Bob Seger - Night Moves (1976). My toughest omissions: Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man...(1969), Laura Nyro - Eli & The 13th Confession (1968), Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees (1976), Hall & Oates - Abandoned Luncheonette (1973), Sam Cooke - Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963 (1985). Then there are Artists (or groups) whose total contribution to my enjoyment of music surpass some or many of the above, but not within the original OP's restraints: CCR, Eric Clapton, Al Green, Otis Redding, & The Rolling Stones.
rockie
3 years ago
^ great list. Saw Elvis Costello live in a cafeteria in college.
skibum609
3 years ago
I had a buddy who paid for and subsequently traded his way up to the top of the Tweeter stereo lineup circa 1978. He was never content, unless he was playing pristine vinyl at their upper most volume limits. Dark Side of The Moon, Moondance, and Excitable Boy at sonic levels (then and now) bring back some great memories, not that they have to be played at full volume to appreciate them! Very Nice list yourself!
rockie
3 years ago
Ha ha Skibum- I love Elvis - saw him at the Borgata. A friend who works there said Elvis would eat and hangout in the employee cafeteria there during the day before the show. I guess he like cafeteria. My #1 all time - Quadrophenia, the Who
Studme53
3 years ago
The Cars first album has very close association with the first time I got layed, so it’s up there on my list. I was on the front steps walking into a HS house party and some hot (ok slutty) N.E. Philly girls were leaving - then the Cars came blasting on and one of the Philly girls said “The Cars!” and they all scurried back in. I had never heard of them, but loved them after that.
Studme53
3 years ago
1. Nas-Illmatic 2. A Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Marauders 3. A Tribe called Quest- Low End Theory 4. Def Leppard-Hysteria 5. Genesis-Invisible Touch 6.Fleetwood Mac- Rumors 7. Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive 8. The Police-Ghost in the Machine 9. The Police-Synchronicty 10. Phil Collins-No Jacket Required I’m probably leaving stuff off but that just off the top of my head
Muddy
3 years ago
I saw The Police in concert in 1981. Stewart Copeland stole the show. What a tour de force!
Studme53
3 years ago
The Cars, being a Boston band, played in an on-campus bar called the Blue Wall at Umass when we all returned to campus insept. 1976. No cover 45 cent Tuborg (lol) drafts.
skibum609
3 years ago
This was hard. I wanted something representative of my favorites and had to leave others off. I was forced a few times to pick an album with the most good songs, and leave off albums by the same artist with better but fewer songs. Here goes in no particular order: AC/DC - Back in Black. Kills me to not have a Bon Scott album but their best songs with him are spread over too many albums Van Halen - Diver Down. Most good songs Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad Eminem - The Eminem Show tough call here Alice In Chains - Dirt Bob Marley - Exodus Collective Soul - self titled Justin Timberlake - Justified Kanye West - Graduation Voted first off the island: Metallica - Black album. Again, most good songs Rush - Moving Pictures 50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying Korn - Follow the Leader Rage Against the Machine - debut Christina Aguilera- Stripped
Hank Moody
3 years ago
Collective Soul is underrated
Studme53
3 years ago
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On Doors - LA Woman Def Leppard - High n Dry Post Malone - beerbongs & bentleys Queen - Queen II George Michael - Listen without Prejudice Vol 1 Juice Wrld - Goodbye & Good Riddance U2 - Achtung Baby Khalid - Free Spirit The Smiths - Louder than Bombs no homo, or at least I think not
DeclineToState
3 years ago
@Studme53 I saw them in '82, Ghost in the Machine tour, at Byrne Arena in NJ (later renamed Continental Airlines Arena) which was brand new at the time. Reggae band Black Uhuru opened for them. None of us had ever heard of them and weren't paying much attention when they came on stage. 2 songs and a couple joints later, we were mesmerized for the rest of the set. Back then you could smoke weed at an indoor concert without getting hassled. They were the perfect opening act before the Police. That was 40 years ago and they're still among my favorite bands.
misterorange
3 years ago
@Jimmy "Kills me to not have a Bon Scott album but their best songs with him are spread over too many albums" I agree. If forced to choose one from the Bon Scott era I'd say Highway to Hell. Pretty great all the way through, but I like a lot of their earlier stuff.
misterorange
3 years ago
JimmyMcNulty:100% agreed on the difficulty! misterorange: Thanks for the mental exercise!
rockie
3 years ago
Really so far it’s pretty hard to argue with anyone’s choices. I mean some people may gripe about Depeche Mode but if you like that genre of music they do it perfectly. I personally can’t stand Guns N Roses and Green Day but I totally understand why people love them. I love Rush and I’m sure there’s tons of people here that dislike them as well. Few observations: 1. You can most likely tell the age of everyone by the albums they picked. 2. When did these albums influence you? The majority of my picks (8 of the 10) were albums that were released OR that I discovered when I was a teenager (12 to 19 year old). 3. Any bands that haven’t shown up yet that surprise you? I may be missing where some one listed them and I missed it but: Red Hot Chili Peppers Public Enemy No rap albums released after 2000 with the exception of Eminem 2Pac Notorious BIG Tom Petty Cure Beatles solo work - again sorry if someone is on my list above that I missed...
shailynn
3 years ago
@shailynn Agree with the age thing, Lol. I'm 54. Hotel California was the first vinyl record I ever owned, and I think it was a hand-me-down from my older cousin. Must have listened to it a thousand times. When cassette tapes became popular, I got a crappy portable tape player for Christmas and one cassette. It was the Cars Candy-O. (My parents probably didn't take a good look at the artwork, or they wouldn't have bought it for a 12 year old https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/The_Cars_-_Candy-O.png) Still love that album but over the years I came to think the debut album was their absolute best.
misterorange
3 years ago
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1536/6347/products/KfiksJM989-1_61e543f2-b22b-4e86-bb7d-bef89fc17208_grande.jpg?v=1576991684
misterorange
3 years ago
Shit. Chili’s may not have made it to my ten, but I should’ve included Blood Sugar Sex Magic in the just off the island group.
Hank Moody
3 years ago
Rush - Moving Pictures (1981) Rush - Power Windows (1985) Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime (1989) Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986) The Who - Who's Next (1971) Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973) The Beatles - Revolver (1966) Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind (1983) Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance (1982) The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (1969) I went with no Greatest Hits albums or live albums, but a couple of live album honorable mentions: Deep Purple - Made In Japan (1972) The Who - Live at Leeds (expanded version)(1970) Iron Maiden - Live After Death (1985)
crosscheck
3 years ago
misterorange: The Cars album purchase might have been your Dad contributing to the shopping request.
rockie
3 years ago
^^ Haha, yeah good point.
misterorange
3 years ago
Misterorange - I was at that Police concert too. I remember the opening band Black Uhuru - as I think the Police band members had gotten into reggae during the recording of Ghost in the Machine. I think it was a rough start for Black Uhuru - as they were tossing albums to the crowd - and the crowd was initially too sing them back! LOL!
Cashman1234
3 years ago
Here’s my try at this list. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy REM - Murmur, Reckoning The Clash - London Calling Motörhead - Ace of Spades The Cure - The Head on the Door Post Malone - Beer bongs and Bentleys Peter Gabriel - So Korn - Untouchables U2 - The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby I couldn’t stop when I got to U2.
Cashman1234
3 years ago
^Solid list. Led Zep Houses of the Holy almost made my cut and was hard to leave off. Both your REM albums are solid. Almost making the cut for me were Life's Rich Pageant, and to slightly lesser extent Automatic for the People. Was hard for me to leave off U2 The Unforgettable Fire, but Achtung Baby made the cut barely ahead of it. Glad to see someone else say Post Malone. My fave song off that album is Sugar Wraith but there's no bad song on that album. Your fave on that album is?
DeclineToState
3 years ago
Declinetostate thanks. I know these lists are prone to missing some great stuff. I think the album Beerbongs & Bentleys is a great piece of work. My favorite song is Better Now. I know it’s pop - but it’s smooth and it’s a cool way he seems to deal with a break up. I like Zack and codeine too - as I thought the lyrics were about fucking Cardi B - but that was just my poor hearing!
Cashman1234
3 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion