Parking Information

Monday, June 7, 2021 5:06 AM
Drove down to TJ Friday afternoon. Only took six hours to make the three-hour drive. Once there, it took me almost an hour to find parking on the US side. (I always walk across.) Part of the issue was that traffic trying to cross the border by car was backed up to the second to the last USA exit, so I took that exit. In town, the traffic was also backed up more than what I have observed to be typical. Tried to park at my usual lot, Sunset Parking. Since I was in the lane that leads auto traffic into Mexico, it was moving at the rate of one car per cycle of the traffic light. Sat on line for about 30 minutes when I decided to try La Paz parking, which is on the right side of the street where there were few cars. The lot was small, maybe 40 slots, but there were plenty of open slots. Might be a reason for that. The sign said $25, but didn't indicate for what period of time. So, there is a catch. The clock starts at 8:00 am. Even if you park at 6:00 pm, if you are not out before 8:00 am the next day, you are charged for another day. Originally I tried to pay for two days, but the woman in the kiosk said I have to be out by 8:00 am Sunday. I asked if I could buy a few extra hours. (I had a TLN scheduled with an ATF who usually stays the morning until at least 9:00 am and I didn’t want the pressure of worrying about the car being towed, so I paid through Monday. I got back to the lot at about 10:00 am, so I paid $25 for two hours. The lot behind Jack n The Box had a sign out that said $15 for eight hours. If I had parked there, I doubt that I would have saved anything, considering that I was in TJ for about 32 hours, I don’t know how their clock works. Weekends, parking is almost twice what the weekday rates are. I wondered what would happen if I over stayed my time. Got my answer. Sunday morning I observed five cars booted. I don’t often drive down. Typically I take the train or fly (depending on my starting point) and take the trolley to the border. Now I get why some guys who drive down risk parking at the Byer trolley stop.

9 comments

I so highly recommend parking at Palm Ave Station and taking the trolley 3 stops down (10 mins?). Always lots of fairly safe parking for short term, $2.50 each way and drops you right off at the border.
SanchoRG
3 years ago
definitely the trolley. i park at palm avenue. huge lot. costs me the old fart price. $1.25 one way.
Jascoi
3 years ago
I usually find a spot on the street, wit a little extra walk to the border.
Og12345
3 years ago
This trip was two nights. Would Palm Avenue or the street be safe for two nights?
PutaTester
3 years ago
I don't travel much but when I fly I usually leave my car at an offsite airport parking that in SoFlo runs me less than $10/day and they have a shuttle to/from airport and it's a secure lot Maybe that's an option for TJ - park at offsite airport parking; take shuttle to airport; take bus from airport to trolley - kinda have to jump thru hoops but may be an option for some?
Papi_Chulo
3 years ago
@Papi_Chulo: Unfortunately, the airport is right downtown, so it can be a real PITA to get to... one of the many things that annoys me about Cali. Your idea does give me a similar idea, though: If you start from north of San Diego, you can park at an Amtrak station like Solana Beach. It would beat having to drive through the city and you would end up across the street from the trolley. I'm going to try and remember that the next time I'm in LA and want to make the trip down. :-)
booji boy
3 years ago
Where exactly is Palm Avenue?
Liwet
3 years ago
I thought there was a bus or trolly that runs from downtown to the border? Saw a youtube video about it. Jack in the Box parking lot is the way to go. It's close and simple.
goodyman
3 years ago
It's a trolley. Expanding on what I said above, you could park at an Amtrak station, take a train down to Santa Fe station, and walk across the street to American Plaza to catch the trolley down to San Ysidro.
booji boy
3 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion