Thoughts from a former teacher

Thursday, October 14, 2021 1:41 PM
My 88 year old Mom was up from Florida last weekend for a visit. She started teaching in 1961 and retired in 2008. She taught at various times grades 1-3 and also special ed. I asked her how children and families had changed during her career over dinner one night and her response pretty much sums up the future of this once fine land. "When I first started teaching first grade I assumed all the children knew their letters, numbers, how to print and some reading. Most knew basic math and some were like my kids and could divide and multiply. I was happy. By the time I retired, I was happy if 90% of my students knew how to velcro close their sneakers." She thinks its child abuse to send children to public schools in blue areas, but the first political campaign I worked on as with her, and it was for George McGovern. Progressives are lying when they say they are trying to help minorities and working families. They are trying to pay them just enough to give up their freedom and future. Google "helter skelter" and see the democrat's game plan because it is based on this theory, as espoused by Charles Manson.

16 comments

“A good and just society is neither the thesis of capitalism nor the antithesis of communism, but a socially conscious democracy which reconciles the truths of individualism and collectivism.”
CJKent_band
3 years ago
The failure of our public school system is a lot more complex than just blaming the political agenda of one party or another. I just wish it was that simple.
iknowbetter
3 years ago
Gee, up here in a liberal lala land I hear just the opposite from most people of that age. Comments are more about how much more demanding kindergarten is, now expecting kids to know the alphabet and some basic reading from day one. Her observations must be a Floriduh thing (with that progressive governor and legislature)?
bkkruined
3 years ago
My Mother was and is a card carrying member of the Massachusetts Teachers Association and her observations are an indictment of progressives. Liberal teacher's unions murdered the nation's future.
skibum609
3 years ago
"Sometimes justice occurs and some people deserve the government they get, and they deserve to get it good and hard."
CJKent_band
3 years ago
:D
CJKent_band
3 years ago
Riddle me this Mr. Skibum, if you’re education was so good why did this political shit get posted in the front room? Almost seems like you can’t read well enough to know that the front room isn’t for political shit. You should really consider a remedial reading class. Might help you with your job. You’re welcome!
DoctorPhil.
3 years ago
Bonus points if you can spot the errors in my posts on this thread. Just trying to hep you with your remedial reading. I like being a nice guy. Your welcome!
DoctorPhil.
3 years ago
^ good save bro
48-Cowboy
3 years ago
Come now Mr. Cowboy. You should really embeded some errors in your posts to help Mr. Skibum. If we come together we can use his inchoate rage to further his education. . Please help Mr. Skibum. A mind is a terrible thing to waste!
DoctorPhil.
3 years ago
The schools are such difficult issue. Many communities when it’s time to vote for the local school budget will vote yes thinking that money is actually going to the kids when it really goes to the teachers. Not that that’s a bad thing some teachers deserve that absolutely but soem don’t and there’s nothing anybody can do about shitty teachers. I forget the story maybe somebody can chime in but in California there was criminal teacher that they still had a hard time firing because of the teachers union is so strong in that state. There’s also the really tough conversation about not all kids are above average students. That may not be entirely their fault but it’s hard to explain that certain kids don’t have a shot in hell at being Nobel prize winners in the same way I have no shot in hell in playing center for the Knicks. Some of this stuff is just genetic. Nobody did anything wrong but when you spend trillions of dollars trying to get equal results with not that much to show for it’s tough situation all around.
Muddy
3 years ago
The true racists are those who see only race and they are all Democrats.
skibum609
3 years ago
So Muddy ape, where exactly did you expect the money to go? The janitorial staff? I take education seriously because cubs and apelings are the future. But you’ve got to pay the teachers because it is their job. No doubt that your apeling schools could be better, but that’s just because you damn dirty apes are so limited. The world would definitely be a better place with more cats and fewer apes. Anyhoo, the asshole with the “tests” for Skifredo has a point. Keep the politics out of the front room. The front room is for general discussions and rickvice (when we ricks are willing). Keep the politics in the moron room where it belongs. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
3 years ago
Note that this rick respects the janitorial and cleaning staff everywhere I go. School janitors deserve good pay. Indeed, they deserve better pay than they get. After all, they clean up some pretty unspeakable shit. It is kind of like the time the shark, the gator, the vulture and I rickbanged this sexy female hairless ape and then felt peckish. We got some Olive Garden takeout for the female because she earned it. I went to the zoo and got an antelope for the shark, the gator, and myself. The vulture got himself some possum off the road. Anyhoo, do you know what a hotel room looks like after a rickbang and antelope slaughter. And the smell of the Olive Garden and sun dried possum was pretty rank. I tipped the cleaning staff good. Of course, I also gave the girls the tip of my BSLC, but that’s another story. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
3 years ago
Are you Carl-the-Lion’s brother? He was a very smart janitor indeed. He deserved to paid more than Mr. Vernon. But that’s a rare instance.
motorhead
3 years ago
===> "The failure of our public school system is a lot more complex than just blaming the political agenda of one party or another. I just wish it was that simple." As right leaning as I am, I have to agree with this. There are so many other societal ills that play into this problem that simply blaming it on schools paying teachers too much is simplistic. Using your Mom's own observations that kids used to go into first grade knowing basic numbers and letters but now are lucky if they can velcro their sneakers, that starts at home. My kids could read pretty well by first grade and knew some numbers, colors, etc., but that's only because we started educating them well before they walked into a school for the first time. With so many single parent households nowadays, kids just aren't getting this same level of early education and support. Now I will say that I do blame the Dems for social policies that already make it way too easy for mothers to raise kids out of wedlock. The term "welfare Moms" takes on real meaning, especially in generous blue urban districts. But the problem is no longer limited to just the large cities. Poor whites living in poorer rural areas are also having kids out of wedlock in much higher numbers and the results are pretty much the same, with those school systems filled with kids with little to no parental support. At some point we need to stop believing that throwing money at the problem is the answer and start promoting the development of family support units. Those big urban areas throw gobs of money into their schools yet have the shittiest results, precisely because of the underlying rot that schools just can't fix. NYC spends $20k per kid and we know how that's going. My own kids' school district, OTOH, spends $7,500 per kid with amazingly superior results. The difference is utterly in the family structures supporting these kids.
rickdugan
3 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion