Otay Mesa

Thursday, October 28, 2021 12:06 AM
Has anyone used the Otay Mesa pedestrian crossing? I'm staying at the Hampton Inn near the airport for my next Zona visit and am curious if the wait times are better than Ped East for my return to the US? It looks like an Uber from the Hampton Inn to HK is a little over $6...

8 comments

@devl_dawgg As far as I know Uber drivers can drive/take you into Mexico. However most tuscl members recommend to walk across the border because it is faster with less hassle, and take a taxi or the limo to Hong Kong. The “Hong Kong Gentleman’s Club” is one mile west of Ped East and the Otay Mesa is 7 miles east from Ped East. In my humble opinion and limited experience the Ped East is your best fastest option,
CJKent_band
3 years ago
Yes, it's usually faster to cross at Otay because most people walking across take the trolley down to San Ysidro: https://bwt.cbp.gov/details/09250401/POV https://bwt.cbp.gov/details/09250601/POV As far as Uber is concerned, I remember a few years ago that there was some serious bad blood between taxi operators and Uber drivers. Don't know if that ever got resolved, so you may get some drama. By way of comparison, a taxi ride from that hotel to HK will be about $20.
booji boy
3 years ago
The pedestrian crossing into Mexico is almost always fast and easy. However, you might be asked to buy a $30 180-day visa. This requirement seems to vary. More difficult is crossing back into the US. I am in line now and expect a 90+ minutes wait.
PutaTester
3 years ago
^ Google says: “Pedestrians crossing into Tijuana at the San Ysidro crossing need to complete a Mexico Visitor's Permit (FMM ‒ FREE if the trip is 7 days or less and you cross by land) and present a passport. The FMM is a simple form, you can acquire one at all land border crossings.”
CJKent_band
3 years ago
“If you travel beyond the 22 miles/35 km "free zone" after crossing a land border into Mexico you will need to pay a fee of around US $22.“
CJKent_band
3 years ago
Google information is pre Covid-19. Boots on the ground say different. Also, things are going to change again in November.
PutaTester
3 years ago
Thanks for the info!
devl_dawgg
3 years ago
Is this near Otay Panky?
Uprightcitizen
3 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion