Old Restaurants

Wednesday, November 3, 2021 12:31 PM
Dining has changed over the years and in my view for the better, for the most part. The variety of food and concentration on flavor palettes, combined with more ethnic foods has made dining out much better than it was fifty years ago. The only exceptions I see is the loss of some of the styles of cooking which are not chic, but were great. When they disappear, they are gone for good, because no one opens new ones. Example? Jewish Delicatessen. There's less than 5 less in NYC. The loss of giant corned beef sandwiches, knishes, latkes, kugel is sad. Cantonese Chinese food has become slop. Chow Mein, Lo Mein, roast pork, real egg rolls, all pretty much gone and replaced with salty, bland chains. Red sauce Italian. Real chicken Parm; Stuffed shells; manicotti, meatballs. All pretty much gone. We wanted to go out to eat Monday, which used to be tough, but now, due to Covid is almost impossible. Scrolling through closed on Mondays notices on the website, I found a place I had last been to 40 years ago: Carbone's. Originally opened in 1933 and handed to the kids 30 years later. Went on the market for sale, restaurant and land and no one wants to buy it and the owners cannot give it up. Hostess is 90. The food? Classic red sauce italian 1960. The iceberg lettuce salad I never liked...unchanged. The decor....unchanged from 1957. The red sauce? I'd drink it as a milkshake. The stuffed shells? 3x better than my favorite restaurant and go to place. Wife declared her chicken parm the best evah in her life. Even the potato skins were better because there was no grease. Bottle of wine $22. Going back saturday after the breedeers cup. Hopkinton MA, rt 85. We wnet for the nostalgia. Will go back for the food. 88 years, so you know its good, but wow, better than good Monday. Where are your old restaurants?

45 comments

Old family run places are usually great some of the best restaurants I’ve ever been to have been over 50 years old, excellence begets longevity
twentyfive
3 years ago
Mondays. You’re right about that. All the “local” restaurants in my area are now closed on Monday where some were open 6 or 7 days a week pre-COVID. 2 of the restaurants got smart, and are closed on Sunday and Tuesday, instead of Sunday and Monday.
shailynn
3 years ago
I live in Indiana. At one time Indiana had more cafeterias than any other state in the country. Most of them are gone now. Someone recently wrote a book which had a nostalgic look back at them called "Tray Chic". One cafeteria chain called MCL still exists here. Young people call the food there "old people food" and mostly don't go there. It's pretty much the type of food everyone here in Indiana ate 50 years ago. The old people going to it are just eating the same food they ate back when they were young.
docsavage
3 years ago
I actually wait for the Skibum biannual nostalgic restaurant quest and take note! I recently acted on a Skibum tip and enjoyed Frank's Steakhouse in the Republic of Cambridge. My favorite trip down memory lane "locally" is "The Stockyard" in Brighton MA. I will not put it up with other Skibum restaurant favorites, but it hits the mark for me and suits the OP's original post.
rockie
3 years ago
My favorite restaurant, gotta be Mario’s on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. Since 1919. Turned down being a scene in The Godfather. Great food. 3 delis I like. Lionis (don’t know the year but it’s old af) and Defontes (‘22) both Brooklyn. And Sorriso (‘79) Queens. All throwback awesome spots been there for decades and decades. Pizza. Di Fara in Brooklyn since the 60’s same guy still makes them, Dom.
Muddy
3 years ago
S&S restaurant (Cambridge) for breakfast! I've been a fan for 53 years, as it was a staple visit when Dad had to go to work on a weekend.
rockie
3 years ago
S&S is killer.
skibum609
3 years ago
Joe Jost's long Beach CA. Opened 1924. My grandfather ate there. So did my uncle and my father. My family and friends including my kids. https://joejosts.com/
shadowcat
3 years ago
I like this place.... https://chezjays.com/ But there are a lot of old places I like al and beas el paseo inn la cabana maos kitchen ...
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
Oh puhleeze. You don’t have a sophisticated palate Skifredo. Most apes would know good food if it knocked on their door holding a sign saying “I’m good food!” Add to that the fact that Skifredo is a homeless crab. Few crustaceans have good taste. I did meet the cool crayfish named george and we shared some detritus after having crazy sex with a hairless ape whore, but georgethecrayfish was the exception that proved the rule. Squawk!
rickthevulture
3 years ago
Rockie - The Stockyard is a consistent favorite of mine. A seat at the bar, a crock of french onion soup, and a nice steak or chop. One of life's simple pleasures.
crosscheck
3 years ago
NJ may not be very well-known for great restaurants, but having lived here all my life I've found some gems. This is one of my favorites: Steve's Sizzling Steaks, Carlstadt, NJ Opened in 1936. Inside it's like a rustic hunting lodge, with rifles hanging from the ceiling, swordfish and deer heads mounted on the walls, and signed portraits of hundreds of celebrities that have visited, mostly iconic sports figures. As the story goes, the original "Steve" and Babe Ruth were fishing buddies. Ruth was a regular at the bar, so was Billy Martin, and Yankees from every era have gone there. Many different cuts of steak available, all are outstanding. Seasoned with some amazing secret sauce that can't be described. The sauce soaks up into the fries, making those potatoes almost as good as the steak. You'll get 3 button mushrooms on your plate, unless the chef makes a mistake and gives you 4. Either way you'll wish it was 20. There's other stuff besides steak on the menu, but in 50 years I've never ordered any of it. The seafood appetizers are pretty good, shrimp cocktail and such. In the mid-70's the Meadowlands Complex was built about a mile away, so Steve's became popular with Giants and Jets fans, as well as the players. It's a fairly small place so I always try to go at some off hour during the week. Forget about before, during or after a Giants or Jets game because you probably won't even get in the door. It's really a one-of-a-kind place.
misterorange
3 years ago
We need to terminate all of the COVID mandates right now! SJG
san_jose_guy
3 years ago
Luby’s is a Texas chain that is cafeteria style. Especially like their chicken fried steak and the liver and onion. I was really bummed out when I heard they were shutting down this summer, but somebody swooped in and bought it out. 😋 I agree with docsavage about the decline of the cafeteria style. I like that format. I guess the only awkward part is knowing how much to tip the server. Like it’s not a full restaurant, why make them be there? I tip 15 % Zitos in San Antonio is an old school style sandwich place. http://www.zitosdeli.net/ Chris Madrid in San Antonio as a basic burger place. https://www.chrismadrids.com/main-menu/ The last two were opened in the 1970s so idk if they count as old enough. But they have stuck around and don’t really change much.
nicespice
3 years ago
There is somewhere, I think Texas, a chain which is like a Latina version of Tilted Kilt. Anyone know the name, have a link? SJG
san_jose_guy
3 years ago
I have never heard of a Latina only breastaurant chain 🤷🏻‍♀️
nicespice
3 years ago
Well, there is one. It's just Latina flavored in the selection of waitresses. Tilted Kilt has better uniforms than Hooters. A Latina chain is probably even better. Thanks, SJG
san_jose_guy
3 years ago
Luby's was my favorite cafeteria when I lived in TX. King of the Hill fans from TX should get the "Luanne Platter" joke.
steve3000
3 years ago
I can't believe that Carbone's is still there. I used to take job candidates there for lunch back in the 70s. I'll have to check it now out in its old age.
loper
3 years ago
Did you ever have lunch at the Deli House (sp?) in Shopper's World? Great Jewish food.
loper
3 years ago
Bill Knapps. Happy birthday to you Skibum
Uprightcitizen
3 years ago
When I was in high school there was a drive-in restaurant in town that you went to after going out on a date to the movies. It was one of a kind Had the best burgers a a shrimp sandwich which was wonderful. I have fond memories of the girls I took there. When I came back to town after being in the Navy. The original building was gone and there was an Irish Pub in its place. I was sad, so many memories.
FishHawk
3 years ago
^^nicespice❀✪✔ 13 Hours Ago I have never heard of a Latina only breastaurant chain 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think it’s called “Fa-Tata’s”
gobstopper007
3 years ago
Ojos Locos Maybe this is it. Says 13 locations and has some waitress pictures https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojos_Locos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojos_Locos#/media/File:Ojos_Locos_waitress_pouring_drink_(cropped).jpg https://ojoslocos.com/locations https://www.azlocalbusiness.com/ojos-locos-restaurant-mesa/ Yes, I am sure it is the one I heard of before, recognize their web site pictures. SJG Gabriela Gunčíková - Whitesnake - Fool For Your Loving - cover - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2XTrxucVg&list=RDmL2XTrxucVg&start_radio=1
san_jose_guy
3 years ago
Vegas has 2 really old red sauce type places. Batistas and Chicago Joe's. Also Try LA Palapa Casa Don Juan Dona Maria's for old Mexican restaurants
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
I'm sure those same girls order off fast food value menus. Telling you a place us beneath them is just a strategy to up their perceived worth and your spending. Surprised they haven't had liver in some form. Pate foie gras or whatever
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
It's in hotdogs bologna etc...
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
Scrub you got a liver issue
Uprightcitizen
3 years ago
I like the smell of liver and onions but not the taste. I only tried it once and that was at USAF boot camp at Lackland AFB, San Antonio.
shadowcat
3 years ago
I recall Luby's having good food. Much better than typical cafeterias. And better than many diner-type restaurants. Of course, it was over 20 years ago and quality and service were better in the good old days. Note: I never tried the liver. Not a fan in general.
steve3000
3 years ago
I can't stand the thought of eating a piece of liver prepared like steak. But a liverwurst sandwich is something I enjoy. I guess it's like eating a hot dog. You try not to think about the ground up lips, testicles and anus that go into making it.
misterorange
3 years ago
Never ate liver and onions and liver wurst is disgusting just the smell alone is enough to mane anyone gag But I was wondering after reading this thread do any of you guys remember The Automat on Park Avenue near City College used to be able to get all kinds of good stuff for less than a buck, my favorite was the Mac and cheese.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Thumbs down to liver. Growing up, my mother used to make chopped liver on occasion and the smell would force me out of the house.
crosscheck
3 years ago
@25 Not sure, but my dad took me to one when I was a little kid (probably 45 years ago?) I remember it was a short walk from the Empire State Building. Don't know what I had to eat, just remember being fascinated by all those little windows.
misterorange
3 years ago
There was only one that I remember the Automat on Park Ave would have been walkable from the Empire State building, it was in the something block of Park, on another note my first job as a window washer, was at the Empire State Bldg. My best friend just retired from his job at the same building with bldg. management, we started at the same time but I left for greener pastures and worked in NYC as a state certified rigger, before starting my own business then moving to Florida.. as a partner in another business after selling my share of the NYC business.
twentyfive
3 years ago
^ Meant twentysomething block
twentyfive
3 years ago
^^ Lol. I'm not afraid of heights so I would probably get a thrill out of that. But I would be afraid of dropping the squeegee and killing someone on the sidewalk!
misterorange
3 years ago
we used to joke about dropping a squeegee and having it land embedded in the sidewalk, but really guy, that couldn't happen every tool was attached to a lanyard.
twentyfive
3 years ago
^ Btw, it's got nothing to do with being afraid of heights, those climbing cranes we used to operate, required climbing up a ladder to whatever floor the crane was at, plenty of buildings required a climb of several hundred feet, starting before the site was open at 4 or 5 am, by the time you reached the cab you were exhausted.
twentyfive
3 years ago
I hate to ask what happens if you gotta take a dump while you're up there!
misterorange
3 years ago
^ pail, piss in a wide mouth OJ, container, life is what it is, if the buck hoist ain't running neither is the site.
twentyfive
3 years ago
Damn, it's funny how this thread devolved from a discussion of restaurants to shitting in a bucket a hundred floors above the ground! Lol
misterorange
3 years ago
LOL
twentyfive
3 years ago
gobstopper007 wrote, " I think it’s called “Fa-Tata’s” " "Well, as any feminist will tell you, the tata theme is offensive." https://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/07/13/in-defense-of-breastaurants/ I think tatas just means tits. Otherwise I can't find anything for that name. But Thanks, SJG https://tuscl.net/member-photos.php?id=672586
san_jose_guy
3 years ago
We all know nicespice is a troll nut a lot if these retards support her coz it's the only free interaction they get with a girl.
Icee Loco (asshole)
3 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion