The interesting case of Derick Jones

Monday, April 4, 2022 12:55 PM
I wouldn't call it "interesting." More like sad or unfortunate or bizarre. [view link]

7 comments

Sad and unfortunate is correct.
Call.Me.Ishmael
2 years ago
i'll say that it's both bizarre and interesting in that legally he could sexually engage with that girl for a month until that guy turns 25 years old.
rattdog
2 years ago
“ Jones, taking advice from his father, who had recently been released from prison, Woods, his sister, said, dismissed his public defender and represented himself.” Seems stupidity runs in the family.
doctorevil
2 years ago
It’s unfortunate, but this guy was no model citizen. It’s not like an upstanding and contributing member of society was improperly arrested. This guy was previously imprisoned for drug dealing, and then he got involved with an underaged girl who he met in a strip club. Maybe he was sniffing around that club looking for a young stripper to pimp out? I doubt he was there to do any good. Taking advice from his father on defending himself wasn’t the first stupid thing he did - it was another stupid act in a long list of stupid shit.
Cashman1234
2 years ago
As Honest Abe once opined, "One who represents himself has a fool for a client."
kilgoretrout12
2 years ago
He basically harbored a run away underage girl he had sex with. The sister said she wasn't in high school regularly. Which means she knew she was under 18. He would have served time even if he had a lawyer.
Icee Loco (asshole)
2 years ago
Even the worst public defender would have been a better option than representing himself. Perhaps he could have gotten enough sympathy within the jury to avoid conviction. It only takes one hold-out to result in a hung jury, and a case like this might not have been re-tried. But instead, all 12 jurors voted to convict. I'm willing to bet that this guy came off as a real jackass while attempting to defend himself, as if it was some street argument rather than a court of law. He probably was like, "Yo I ain't know nuffin bout dat girl. She in da strip club, yo, and she be playin' me. Ya gots to believe me."
misterorange
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion