Having a review say a club is closed—yay or nay?

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 4:22 AM
It seems the usual thing that happens is that these reviews get approved, with 1-3 dissenters. Personally, I think something like that is fine for a review. Reporting as permanently closed would be better, but that is the second best thing for people to actually see what happened. I’m sure there are a lot of tusclers who don’t pay attention to the discussion board—and a thread posted talking about a club closing wouldn’t be noticed. I know I wasn’t aware of the discussions when I first registered an account. What do you guys think?

20 comments

I feel the same way - it's a good heads-up and as you mentioned there are likely many more TUSCLers that may only look-at/peruse the Reviews section and rarely if ever look at the Discussion board
Papi_Chulo
2 years ago
I agree, I've done one of those. Doesn't hurt to say a bit about the club history if you know any.
gSteph
2 years ago
If it’s permanently closed, isn’t the best option to post a club update saying it’s closed? If it happens to re-open, another update could be done then.
RockAllNight
2 years ago
There could be more to it than simply "it's closed". It may look closed or it could be temporarily closed - there may be a sign on the door with details on remodelling - a patron may visually notice something that tells a story beyond "it's closed" and that intel adds value. A review captures that intel. But once it is truly verified to be permanently closed, the listing should be updated as such.
ww
2 years ago
If you follow that line of reasoning then should club shootings be reported as reviews too?
shadowcat
2 years ago
There are ways to report a club being closed without writing a review. I think it requires work on Founder's part though.
Liwet
2 years ago
^^ Actually reporting club shootings would be very important. I would want to know that if it happens often.
Warrior15
2 years ago
Shootings belong under club discussions. An uncorroborated report that a club is closed is not so easy to approve. If it is written by a veteran custie of that club, who is trusted by the approvers, and maybe including history and memories as a eulogy would, then it should be approved with DMs to Founder to change the club status.
gammanu95
2 years ago
The club details section allows anyone to update hours, days open, and other basic details. It’s essentially a note to founder within the club detail section that Founder will update if it appears logical to do so. There is no credit for that refresh, but it can save many from thinking a clubs open based on 2003’s details.
rockie
2 years ago
While the club discussion section and the club details sections make sense, it doesn't place the info in the highest place of visibility. The club discussion is not a high visibility feature and is easily go unnoticed there. In the case of "club details", that section could be updated daily and review approvers will still push for multiple components contained therein to be part of a review i.e. cover price, lap dance cost. If one is expected to put those items in a review although covered in details, why not place some actually relevant info in the review, like a closing and/or shooting into it? It's the same logic - place the intel where people can readily see it.
ww
2 years ago
How many people take the time to submit an update club details? Just get that review in to get the VIP credit! Btw I submitted a new listing for a domestic club on April 29th and it still has not been added. Founder may be overwhelmed.
shadowcat
2 years ago
IMO, the folks that can add value to the board aren't in it for VIP credit.
ww
2 years ago
I think the non-permanent club closings belong it the club comments/discussions area. If a club closes permanently, then it’s a club information/details update - and our fearless leader Founder must get involved. This is valuable information, as it will save other customers a trip to a closed club. Whether it is valuable enough to warrant VIP status, I don’t know. That is up to the top dawg Founder!
Cashman1234
2 years ago
A note to Founder within the update listing section of Club 51 gave this result in 2018 [view link]. What’s
rockie
2 years ago
Valid question, until one ignores the built in fix to an empty visit. Any closed club doesn’t show up unless you search for it by name.
rockie
2 years ago
we - I haven’t seen a consistent effort to update days open, new hours, and other basic info in the opening page of the clubs that I’ve been interested in over the years. It might be overlooked or the interest is not focused on the clubs opening page due to no credit for an update.
rockie
2 years ago
Yay!
MackTruck
2 years ago
@rockie - that's my point. Placing information in the listing or the club discussion page or the larger discussion forum is not consistent and potentially overlooked. The most visible place that allows interested patrons to view intel is within a review. Forget the credit aspect - bottom feeders that just want credit are only going to do the minimum. Most of the folks that are trying to provide the "outside the box" info on a club (i.e. temp closure, raid, fight, shooting) are simply trying to assist there fellow monger. @shadowcat - most of those 2am'ers would add more value as a review because more eyes, specifically those most interested in the club, would see it. But in your case, you survey so many of those occurrences, it's easier to place them as discussion threads, which I totally get that.
ww
2 years ago
Approved with some dissenters. That’s probably the right result. I can see the difference of opinion but I’m not stingy handing out Founder’s VIP time. As long as a reviewer provides some valuable info, I’ll approve. Club closed? That’s valuable info and I’ll approve the first reviewer who posts it. It’s the most visible place for that info.
Hank Moody
2 years ago
Letting people know which clubs still operate is very important, one of the reasons this site is so important for Chemical Engineers wearing their suits on business trips. SJG The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter - 2013 School of Rock AllStars Team 4 [view link]
san_jose_guy
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion