A couple of quick Memorial Day thoughts:

Monday, May 30, 2022 6:35 PM
Every time I hang Old Glory on a flag holiday, a liberal is triggered. That makes me smile. On a more serious note: for everyone who posts about Memorial Day on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TUSCL or where the fuck ever, for everyone who comments on one of those posts, for everyone who virtue signals to themselves by telling a veteran "thank you for your service" (which always sounds like "better you than me" to my ears), when is the last time that you put your money where your mouth is and volunteered in a soup kitchen which outreached to homeless vets? When is the last time you donated to Wounded Warriors or Tunnel 2 Towers? Was it 2002 or 2020? Anytime in the 2010s or 2020s? These are just rhetorical questions, something I would like everyone to think about and take a long, hard look in the mirror before answering.

14 comments

“Martyrdom has always been a proof of the intensity, never of the correctness of a belief.” ~ Arthur Schnitzler ~ Born 15 May 1862 Vienna, Austria ~ Died 21 October 1931 Vienna, Austria ~ Occupation: writer and playwright ~ Language: German (the fatherland)
CJKent_band
2 years ago
How about supporting progressive politics that would house those homeless veterans
Icee Loco (asshole)
2 years ago
I actually have, somewhat regularly, though not constantly, people ask if I'm a vet and offer to pay for my coffee or meal when I'm wearing my USMC hat. I always tell them that I appreciate it, but if they really want to help, donate to something like https://www.militaryveteranproject.org/22aday-movement.html, or some other veteran oriented charity of their choice. I realize most of them really just want the immediate dopamine rush from "doing something good." For a while, I've been tempted to take their generosity and then turn around and do the donation myself, but I already donate to a couple of organizations, and periodically help out the USO when troops come into the airport.
georgmicrodong
2 years ago
I’ve gotten involved in a few organizations that support veterans. It’s important to help the folks who give so much. It sounds minor, but service dogs provide an important service to veterans. They provide unconditional love and they are amazing animals as they can sense oncoming panic attacks. The more I’ve learned, the more I’m convinced this is a worthwhile cause.
Cashman1234
2 years ago
Driving around today, I saw people with Ukraine flags on their property, but no American flag! I bet these same people will have their rainbow flag out soon for "gay month". I used to go to the cemetery every Memorial Day and help put American flags on the military graves. That was always a humbling experience.
sinclair
2 years ago
Only myself and one other house (an 80-yr old couple) on my block of 7 homes had a US flag up on Monday.
gammanu95
2 years ago
I don't agree with the OP. By all means, donate to whatever charity you deem worthy, but no one needs to "put their money where there mouth is" by donating to a veterans organization. Your tax dollars already fund the biggest veterans organization in the county, the Department of Veterans Affairs, which provides health care, disability payments, payments to widows and children, death benefits, etc. Despite what you see in the occasional news expose, the health care provided by VA is generally good. Every military member also has $500,000 of Servicemembers Group Life Insurance, and the family gets a $100,000 death gratuity for a combat death ($600,000 total), plus additional benefits. Many of the ads for these veterans organizations make it seem like the family and servicemember is just kicked to the curb after an injury or death. Sure, additional assistance is welcome, but many of the "veterans" organizations are just playing on the public's sympathy for veterans, especially after 9/11. Wounded Warriors had a scandal a few years ago for wasteful spending. And I get sick and tired of seeing every panhandler holding a "homeless vet" sign. I just don't believe every male panhandler is a vet, and even if they are, I think it's dispicable to use veteran status to beg for money. But by all means, donate to any charity you deem worthy, but don't feel shamed into giving just because they tack the word "veteran" onto their charity name or scrawl it on their panhandler sign. And yes, I do give to charities, including veterans organizations, but know who you are giving to.
doctorevil
2 years ago
I also get sick and tired of seeing panhandlers holding up signs claiming to be a homeless vet, if you really want to help veterans vote for responsible politicians, and if you really want to be charitable, get in touch with your local chapters of VFW or American Legion, and volunteer with USO, legitimate charitable organizations, where you can do the most good. doctor evil raised facts about these well known charities, they make a fortune fundraising and spend small percentages of the funds raised on actual charitable work.
twentyfive
2 years ago
@doctorevil: "Despite what you see in the occasional news expose, the health care provided by VA is generally good." While I definitely agree with most of what you posted, gonna have to disagree with you on that part. I personally know a fairly significant number of vets who've been treated by the local VA hospital, and it's a clusterfuck. Misdiagnoses, denial of service, non-existent after care, etc. It makes me super happy that I have my own insurance, even if I pay out the nose for it. @Cashman1234: "but service dogs provide an important service to veterans." Absolutely, 1000% this. If you can, this is one of the most worthwhile causes to which you can contribute. Do your research though, there are scammers out there.
georgmicrodong
2 years ago
^ My thoughts on the VA hospital system it depends which center you go to, in Riviera Beach care is generally excellent and my experience is not just my own, but I cared for my dad the last few years of his life, and the doctors and everyone associated with the hospital was involved and caring, not trying to say they were perfect but many more successes than failures in my experience with them.
twentyfive
2 years ago
I'll freely admit that the problem might be local. I've unfortunately heard similar horror stories from friends with whom I've maintained contact in many areas of the country. We're all getting to the age where it's starting to matter.
georgmicrodong
2 years ago
I only went to the Cleveland area VA once several years ago. I hated that place so I never went back. When I saw the movie 'Born on the Fourth of July' it reminded me of my VA visit. I've heard it's better now but how much better I have no idea. Another VA center opened up nearer to me about 15 miles away and a couple of my friends go there with no complaints but their services are limited. I have good health insurance so I use the Cleveland Clinic which has branches all over the area for any medical needs so I will probably never seek out VA services in the future.
TheeOSU
2 years ago
We see a lot of patients referred by the VA. The general healthcare services there are decent, but they lack many specialties such as what my practice provides. They are also an infuriating bureaucracy. Were they serving anyone but veterans, I would not have joined their network.
gammanu95
2 years ago
My HOA plants a small flag next to every mail box on all appropriate holidays.
shadowcat
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion