OT: Best and Worst cooking tip you've ever received

Thursday, August 11, 2022 10:47 AM
I am sure there are a lot of bachelors, single women, and single parents on this board. Food is something we all have in common, and the struggle of eating healthy while enjoying the meal is a struggle we all share. I learned to cook well as a bachelor, and have enjoyed trying new recipes and improving my culinary skills throughout my adult life. On the thread about foods one cannot stand, one reply stated that people tend to overcook skinless chicken. I think the problem probably starts earlier in the prep process than cooking. Almost all chicken is frozen. Even if it is thawed when you buy it, it may have been frozen earlier in processing or shipment. (You would be surprised how much bread is shipped frozen, which converts the starches into sugar.) Even if the chicken is fresh-never-frozen, it should be brined. A simple brine consists of: 1 gal water, 2/3c brown sugar, 1/2 cup sea salt or 1/4c table salt. Let the chicken brine for 12-72 hours, it is best if frozen chicken thaws in the brine. This will give you a whole new outlook on chicken. I should have known the worst advice I was going to receive. He was an art major from Arkansas married to a lawyer, who was truly insane. We were talking homemade spaghetti sauce. If you make homemade spaghetti sauce, you know what a pain it is to get all the spices chopped/ground/shredded/diced, cook the sausage and ground beef, peppers, tomatoes, onion, strain the basil leaves out on time, and simmer it to the right consistency. Then you cannot make it in small batches, so you have a freezer full of red tupperware bowls. But I had found an amazing recipe that was worth it every few months. My improvement to the recipe was merlot. I don't have a measure, just to taste, more than dollop. I shared that tip with Damon, and he made a big deal of looking around to ensure no one was nearby or eavesdropping, and he told me his secret was a half teaspoon of vanilla. I love vanilla. I always pay a premium fr the real thing, no artificial extracts for me. I put that shit in everything - whipped cream, cookies, pancakes/waffles, french toast/monte cristo. If I love bacon, then vanilla is my mistress. He swore by it, saying it balanced the acidity of the tomatoes and other vegetables. He was wrong, one teaspoon of vanilla gave the whole pot just this weird off-taste. It took a lot of shredded parmesan to cover the taste. Bonus tip: I always cooked my ribs to 165. I figured pork ribs were like beef - cook it as little as possible. Since 165F is the necessary minimum temp to ensure all microbes and parasites are dead, then that was the optimum temperature, right? Wrong. For juicy, slide off the bone ribs, you need to achieve 190-degrees fahrenheit. That is the temperatures which cooks and melts the tendons and ligaments, adding more juice, taste, and tenderness to your ribs. Blew my mind when I learned that, but when I tried it I learned it was true.

41 comments

My mother learned to cook when she could barely reach the stove from her German born mother in rural North Dakota. She went on to become a restaurant cook in California. Her advice when dining out is to always order food that had to be cooked when the order was received. Avoid stuff that could have been cooked days ago and refrigerated.
shadowcat
2 years ago
1) Most people overcook meat - buy a meat thermometer, pull the meat 5-7 degrees before done and let it sit. It will continue cooking and reach temperature, while letting it rest seals in the juices. 2) Buy a meat hammer - wrap your chicken breasts, sirloin, pork loin in saran wrap and beat the shit out of it, pounding it flat. 3) When you cook pasta, pull it off the stove dump it in the strainer and blast it with cold water. That stops the cooking at the texture you want, instead of guessing when to pull it off and have it keep cooking until it cools naturally.
skibum609
2 years ago
I cook my ribs in a crockpot. Some people broil them for a few min after they’re done but I don’t even bother (bad advice). Often though my ribs would be scorched at the end of the day when I’d come home from work. (good advice) I learned to pour around 1/4 cup of apple juice in the bottom of the crock pot keeping the ribs moist and not ruining the flavor. Crock pots can often overcook things but the apple juice neutralizes that issue with ribs.
shailynn
2 years ago
My worst experience was a horrible crock pot homemade BBQ sauce recipe that was supposed to cook with my pulled pork. As anyone knows, a good homemade BBQ sauce is not easy to make and this one was so bad that it rendered an entire 5 pound Boston Butt entirely inedible. It's just not worth making homemade BBQ sauce when there are so many commercial brands on the market - anyone can find one that they enjoy. The best advice I ever got related to the tomatoes I use for my homemade red sauce. For years domestic tomato growers have been breeding their tomatoes to get sweeter, less acidic versions. It has gone so far that the FDA now requires virtually every domestic canned tomato or jarred tomato sauce producer to add citric acid to keep these tomatoes safe/shelf stable. But the problem also extends to fresh tomatoes, though at least if you use those you won't be adding citric acid to your sauce. I was turned on to Cento San Marzano canned tomatoes. They come from a specific region of Italy and have no citric acid in them I was skeptical at first, but damned if it didn't make a real difference in the quality of my sauce. No wonder so many of the cooking show hosts on the Food network use them, including Bobby Flay. They are expensive - about $3.50 for a single can and you need multiple cans for a good size batch - but are well worth it. As far as brining chicken, better you than me. That's a lot of salt and sugar for a delicate meat. I marinate skinless chicken in a modified Italian dressing marinade for at least 24 hours and we get a ton of flavor without the heavy salt and carbs. I do salt and pepper the chicken prior to cooking, but I wouldn't want every bite to be a salt bonanza. I do brine pork chops, but even then I'm careful about how long they stay in - a few hours is more than enough to get them salty and juicy before I coat (if oven baked) or sauce them (if grilled).
rickdugan
2 years ago
Simple trick but cut green peppers correctly. It seems like you are wasting a lot of the pepper but cut off the top and bottom then the seeds come out cleaning to julienne the strips I used to try and cut the stem out in a circle
motorhead
2 years ago
I smoke ribs but don’t use a thermometer. When the meat pulls back from the bone about half an inch, they are most likely done. That’s about 4 hours for baby backs and 6 hours for spares at 250-275*. I confirm with the ‘bend test’ by picking them up from one end with tongs. They should bend in about a 90* angle, indicating tenderness but still enough firmness so that when you bite into them you get near tooth marks. I’m not a fan of fall off the bone ribs. Too mushy for me. If you are using a thermometer, 190-203* is probably about right. It’s what works for pork shoulder/pork butt and beef brisket and is needed to break down the tendons and render the fat while leaving the meat juicy. I use a thermometer on those cooks because they are longer than ribs, but always test by probing. If the thermometer or probe slides in and out like peanut butter, they are done. Anyway, best tip - when cooking brisket buy a full packer, not just the flat, and buy prime grade, not choice. Worst tip? That pork butt needs to be injected. Complete waste of time. It’s plenty juicy without the hassle.
Hank Moody
2 years ago
@heaving: But being overly sweet is part of the problem. A good sauce has to balance the natural sweetness with a little acid. The reason that Cento can get away with selling canned tomatoes in the U.S. without adding citric acid is because the version they grow in the San Marzano region of Italy has more natural acid. I pay more per pound for those canned tomatoes than I would for the vine ripened fresh ones in my produce department, lol.
rickdugan
2 years ago
Rick is right about San Marzano tomatoes. I use a pizza sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes and is it by far the best off the shelf sauce I have bought. I just add some oregano and that’s it. Aside from the reason Rick mentioned, San Marzano has volcanic soil which is why tomatoes and grapes (wine) go so well over there. Italian White wines are exceptionally crisp from that region. Whites are often overlooked from Italy with the exception of Pinot Grigio (yuck) and Prosecco. There are so many other options.
shailynn
2 years ago
This thread is arguably the most useful thread on here lol. I love to cook. In the civvie world I probably get more spontaneous ass on a date from being funny and a good cook than anything else. Forget ass. Just makes a really nice date. Great thread guys, really
Jimmybigtits
2 years ago
Scrub - buy your ribs at Costco. They contract with Smithfield and their other vendors to remove the membrane before packaging. Confused the fuck out of me before I googled it. Otherwise, I just grab the edge with a paper towel and pull. Not always successful so I just go to Costco now. 🤷‍♂️
Hank Moody
2 years ago
As a cub I was told to eat the wildebeest raw. Now that I am a sophisticated rick I’ve realized that wildebeest can be prepared in many delightful ways. My strategy is to go to a Michelin starred restaurant and tell the chef that he’s going to accompany me to the zoo and prepare a delicious wildebeest dinner. I hunt the wildebeest and the chef uses his judgment regarding preparation. If said chef balks the it’s raw chef for this lion. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
2 years ago
Best tip I ever got was to cook wild game low and slow. Worst tip was the suggestion to add milk to scrambled eggs.
Huntsman
2 years ago
With Pork ribs it's not just about final temperature, it's about how long they're in "the zone" where the collagen is melting but not so long as to allow all the liquid to evaporate out. Wrapping the the 3-2-1 technique is a great start, and then you can modify timing of each stage to suit your preferences from there. I disagree about homemade BBQ sauce. I'm not quite talented enough to do it reliably, but a previous girlfriend was fantastic at it. Off the shelf stuff is often good enough, I'll agree to that much, but a good homemade BBQ with some sort of twist can really set some ribs or brisket apart. Things like a fruity compliment that either blends with or contrasts a side dish can turn an average meal into a memorable one. A hint of apple in the sauce and the slaw, or peach in the sauce and the desert, shit like that. I've received a ton of advice that has had poor results. I tend to blame myself more than the advice. But, I'm gonna say that basically any advice including some sort of soda has universally been bad. Dr Pepper BBQ, Coke Cake, none of that shit is ever good.
Dolfan
2 years ago
Best baking tip: Follow the recipe baking if it's something you've never made before. Modify only after mastering organic chemistry. :D Best meat tip: Low and slow. Crockpot, smoking, braising, slow roasting, will make virtually any cut of meat tender. Especially something like venison. Best fowl tip: Brining/marinating will make almost any commercially raised bird better. Less so for game fowl. Best veggies: Steaming or stir fry. Overall: Butter, garlic and bacon. Worst tip: Huntsman beat me to it. I have never, ever tasted anything more disgusting.
georgmicrodong
2 years ago
I learned the hard way - don’t steam garlic - especially in a tiny kitchen with no ventilation.
Cashman1234
2 years ago
Pro tip- weighing ingredients is better than measuring. More consistent recipes every time when you use weights. Worst tip- anytime someone tries to convince you that a microwave can get you similar results of an oven.
Ulrik79
2 years ago
I don't cook, but this might be somewhat related: The good: My mom always said if you're walking with a full bowl of soup and don't want to spill it, look straight ahead, not at the soup. It works. The bad: As a somewhat spoiled kid growing up, when I got married at age 23 I had never used a dishwasher before. Wanting to be a good husband, I loaded and started up the dishwasher. Well, I didn't know you're not supposed to use the regular dishwashing liquid I found next to the sink. Our kitchen looked like one of those nightclubs where they shoot foam all over the dance floor. The ugly: Again, I don't cook, but I do own a few pots and some plastic food containers. I store them in the oven, since it never gets used. A friend stopped by one night and brought some food with him. Unbeknownst to me, he decided to preheat the oven. I suppose the good news is the Tupperware on fire got our attention before the handles melted off the pots.
misterorange
2 years ago
My best tip ever wasn't really a tip, but a cookbook. Specifically, it was the Wartime Edition (WW2) of the American Woman's Home Cookbook that my mom gave to me when I went to Florida for my first job 48 years ago. It had been her personal copy, and she was an excellent cook. It was fascinating reading, including hints on saving rendered fats for ammunition production, avoiding the use of rationed items like meat and breads and a lot of other tips that also resulted in really good meals at bargain prices. To this day, I use very few processed foods when I'm cooking. I have since passed that book on toy older daughter, who has become an excellent cook in her own right.
ATACdawg
2 years ago
"toy" should have been "to my". Can't blame autocorrect on this one - just my fat fingers.
ATACdawg
2 years ago
You can make a chuck steak taste like a rib eye if you use the reverse sear method. Saves a lot, and it’s so good.
Jasdoit
2 years ago
When I was a youngster, I added milk to scrambled eggs. When I was older someone recommended sour cream, so I tried that. Neither did anything to improve the taste or consistency. The worst advice was to beat the eggs as little as possible. For good scrambeld eggs all you need is a whisk and an elbow. Whip the hell out of it for 30 seconds to incorporate as much air as possible, and pour it straight into a medium warm pan. Scramble it as soon as the curds begin to form and cook to taste. Like other proteins, remove it before it's done as it will continue to cook. There is nothing that ruins the taste of eggs like those brown overcooked bits. Don't salt the bacon before cooking it - it will remain runny longer and overcook. Overrated: baking bacon. You can microwave bacon. If you have a high quality microwave specific bacon dish (Nordicware) and use high quality bacon (not Oscar Mayer), you can get deliciously crispy bacon from the microwave. It varies to the wattage, but I do 5 min for four slices with predictably flawless results.
gammanu95
2 years ago
===> "The worst advice was to beat the eggs as little as possible." For me that was actually great advice if you are cooking with butter rather than oil. My pan scrambled scrambled eggs are super light and fluffy.
rickdugan
2 years ago
Anyone who cooks eggs with oil should be drug into the street and shot. RickDugan beats his meat but not his eggs. That explains a lot.
gammanu95
2 years ago
The best cooking advice I got was from my grandma. When cooking a roast in the crock pot cook it on brewed coffee. The acid in the coffee makes the roast really tender and juicy.
crazyjoe
2 years ago
===> "My best tip ever wasn't really a tip, but a cookbook. Specifically, it was the Wartime Edition (WW2) of the American Woman's Home Cookbook." @ATAC: Nice. I am going to order that book just to have another good source for recipes. The book that got me started 20+ years ago was the Joy of Cooking. It includes not only a ton of recipes, but comprehensive discussions on different cuts of meat and various cooking methods (braising, roasting, stewing, etc., etc.). After my first divorce at a young age I found myself alone and almost helpless in the kitchen beyond a few basic dishes and this book was a lifesaver.
rickdugan
2 years ago
===> "RickDugan beats his meat but not his eggs." Why would I want my eggs to be like my meat? 😁
rickdugan
2 years ago
This rick can confirm that the dugan makes pan scrambled scrambled eggs that are super light and fluffy.
rickthelion
2 years ago
Sometimes we feed ‘em to the sexy female hairless apes that we rickbanged the night before. We’re gentlemen. Well, a gentleman, a gentlelion, a gentleshark, a gentlebarnacle, and so forth. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
2 years ago
Regarding the meat beating, why would we beat out rick meat? You pay the sexy females to take care of the rick meat. You people really haven’t learned much from my brother’s posts, have you? In the future you should PAY ATTENTION! You’ve got the smartest hairless ape on the planet posting tidbits of his knowledge and you’re makin’ masturbation jokes? That’s just sad… ☹️
rickthelion
2 years ago
The best tip I got was to start using sous vide, especially when making steak, brisket or wings. It produces consistently tender and moist results, retains a lot more of the original flavor and makes it hard to over cook. It takes a lot longer to cook this way, 3-4 hours for steaks and wings, 36-40 hours for brisket but the results are so worth it, especially if you have a pellet grill to sear the steaks or add smoke to the wings/brisket. Also works great for vegetables and potatoes.
BaggerRider
2 years ago
^ True. Wildebeest sous vide is delightful.
rickthelion
2 years ago
But sous vide isn’t good for everything. My bud macktherat tried it with dumpster pizza. I told mackie that he was never going to be classy ‘cause he’s a frickin’ pizza rat. Crazy sumbitch attacked me for that. I only survived because I’m a rick. Also, I was so drunk at the time that it’s possible I was alone. Who the fuck knows? One thing I do know: don’t cook dumpster pizza sous vide. Even if the whole mack thing was a hallucination I feel confident saying the words don’t cook dumpster pizza sous vide.
rickthelion
2 years ago
Mr. Lion, you're forcing it now, which never makes for good comedic content. IMO your best stuff comes from natural plays off of other posts rather than forcing points in a way that makes you sound more like a snarky girl. We've come to expect better from you than that. 😉
rickdugan
2 years ago
I agree with Dolfan on the 321 method for spare ribs and varying the times based on preference of tenderness and bark. Wrap with butcher paper during the middle stage if you want more ‘bite’ and wrap with foil and apple juice coffee or soda if you want more tender. I don’t glaze my ribs and serve sauce on the side. If you glaze your ribs the final stage should account for how long you want the glaze to set. For baby backs, it’s closer to a 4 hour cook and 211 is a good place to start, adjust for preference.
Hank Moody
2 years ago
Best stick to classics. Slow and low cooking Worst all those ig trendy cooking tips. Microwaving food. I don't use it.
Icee Loco (asshole)
2 years ago
Another good tip I received was never to waste good chicken and roast beef drippings. Gravy always makes everything better and isn't that hard to make once you've done it a few times and get the ratios of added stock and slurry right. Though when I roast a chicken sometimes instead of a gravy I'll cover the bottom of the pan with seasoned chopped up potatoes, onions and carrots (all lightly coated in olive oil), lay the chicken on top and let those taters and veggies roast in the chicken drippings - yum.
rickdugan
2 years ago
Ladies when the cooking class finishes those of you who’d enjoy hanging around with Oprah’s book of the month club gather in the lobby for a spirited discussion of Louisa May Alcots Little Women from 2-5, wine will be served along with crudités, please join us there as this thread will close for oven cleaning.
twentyfive
2 years ago
SOME dang good cooking tips here… gonna try some of them! most any will be an improvement for my Bachelor ass.
Jascoi
2 years ago
Who was it?…..I think maybe it was Abraham Lincoln said on a internet post… ‘overcooking is a waste of good food.’
Jascoi
2 years ago
Scrub ape, I am glad you are calm on this thread. Are you taking new meds? I was expecting you to say: SO YOU BEAT YOUR EGGS!!! I knew it OH FUCK IT I HAVE TO SAY IT FUCK YEAH CLUB AD!!! Now I just jizzed in my pants. Not that this rick is judging. Just sayin’ that you cum in your pants when you type the words “CLUB AD” Now where were we… that’s right about food. Oh yeah, I like to put some whiskey in my wildebeest omelet. Helps take the edge off the frickin’ eggs. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
2 years ago
It was only a matter of time until PL and BBQ intersected! I love it!! Scrub: use a finger or butter knife to get up under the membrane, then grab it with a paper towel. It wont slip out of your fingers and voila. My best "advice" came from Heath Riles: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5wnwuIZ2M you don't need to know that he's a competition winner to see that this fat fuck makes good ribs. Rub, let sit for 20 minutes, Smoke @275 until bark forms (2-2.5 hrs) and you pass the smear test, braise in foil until 206-207 (1-1.5 hrs). Remove, lightly paint on sauce and smoke for 15 minutes, remove cover and let sit for 30. Perfect competition bite, no fall off the bone bullshit, tender and juicy af.
drewcareypnw
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion