OT: Home Run Jackpot

Thursday, September 29, 2022 2:02 AM
Sitting at a bar the other day, one of the drunks mentioned that if/when Aaron Judge hits 62 homers, that ball is estimated to be worth between $800,000 and $1.2 million. The question came up "what would you do?" if you caught that ball. The drunk said he's got so much respect for Judge, he'd give the ball to him and hope that maybe he'd get some cool stuff like a signed bat and some free game tickets. The bartender is an avid Red Sox fan. She HATES the Yankees but admits she respects Judge as a player and a person. Regardless, she says she'd chuck the ball back onto the field and want nothing in return. I find it hard to believe that a middle-aged woman who tends bar for a living would throw away a million bucks, but anyway that's what she said. When they asked me, I said there is no way in hell I would give that ball back. I would put it up for auction and if Judge wants it bad enough, he can bid for it and pay me. The drunk and the bartender both said that's a real dick move, especially since Judge is such a nice guy / gentleman. My reasoning, which I explained to them, is if you happened to meet Aaron Judge walking down the street and you said, "Hey Aaron Judge! You don't know me, but how about writing me a check for a million dollars?" Do ya think he'd do it? Of course not. So why in the world should I give him a million dollars? What would you do? By the way, a few minutes ago he hit #61 tying Roger Maris's record. It landed in the Blue Jays bullpen so getting the ball back to him wasn't an issue. Also the Blue Jays fans were classy and gave him a standing ovation.

9 comments

'My reasoning, which I explained to them, is if you happened to meet Aaron Judge walking down the street and you said, "Hey Aaron Judge! You don't know me, but how about writing me a check for a million dollars?" Do ya think he'd do it? Of course not. So why in the world should I give him a million dollars? ' Excellent point! yeah he can afford to buy it back. .
TheeOSU
2 years ago
I'm glad you made a thread MO I wanted to talk about this.
Muddy
2 years ago
wouldn't the value of ball #62 go down should judge somehow manage to hit 63 or 64?
rattdog
2 years ago
HELL NO. I ain't chucking that back. I'm a Met fan I have no love for the Yankees. Although I am glad a Yankee it's doing it for the Maris AL record it seems fitting and it's making for a fun time in this city right now. But to your point, it's like that Yankee fan that GAVE BACK Jeter's 3,000 hit. What are you fucking stupid? Sell it for mad money dude. Jeter has his money, you don't, you don't need to be doing this multi millionaire any favors. I bet you that guy is busting his ass right now at work all day just trying to get by while Derek Jeter is banging models.
Muddy
2 years ago
By the way I don't want to see MLB acting like Judge owns MLB home run record. No, Barry Bonds has the record. That's what it is. Period. MLB can't turn a blind eye to steroids when it suits them and then turn around and hop up on their high horse down the road later on.
Muddy
2 years ago
The guy that caught #59 (I believe) gave it back, Judge signed balls and bats with this guy and his large group of friends and had an opportunity for photos with him. I think the estimate on that ball was in the ballpark of $400,000. The classy thing would be to give it back but really where does $1 million + fall into your lap? I imagine Judge will sign the biggest or one of the biggest baseball contracts ever in this off season so I can’t blame some poor schmuck for selling the ball and changing his life overnight.
shailynn
2 years ago
I think if I were to give it away I'd give it directly to the Hall of Fame. Sal Durante, the kid who caught Maris' 61st, tried to offer it to the outfielder. Maris refused it, saying that Durante should sell it to get a leg up on life. That's a classy move. Apparently he bought a house with the $5k he got for it. I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would pay a million dollars though. Memorabilia is cool but seven figures? (I'm a huge baseball and Yankee fan, btw.) I guess there's a point where you have so much money that all you can do is blow it on silly things.
caseyx
2 years ago
Scrub is way off his meds this week.
shailynn
2 years ago
Unless you don’t need a million dollars, sell it. Maybe wait a year until Judge signs his deal after the season for $350 million or whatever he (deservedly) gets so that he can match or beat the offer, but sell it. Only downside is you’ll probably get cyber bullied and potentially actually stalked and threatened by the crazies.
Hank Moody
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion