Border Crossing

Tuesday, October 25, 2022 2:57 PM
So I have a regular passport and global entry card. But really not excited about getting stamped and having to explain that one. Is it possible to walk in and cross back home with just global entry and a driver's license?

26 comments

I've only been there once but they did not stamp my passport. I'm crossing over tomorrow for my second time so if they stamp it I will let you know.
Funkycold88
2 years ago
would a passport card be an option
K
2 years ago
^ A passport card *is* an option. I have one and that's what I use to avoid having my passport stamped.
EastCoaster
2 years ago
Been to TJ a few times, and I've never had my passport stamped. The agents just looked at it and gave it back.
OPIllini96
2 years ago
This is exactly why I got a passport card.
Warrior15
2 years ago
walking across the border Mexican customs wants to see a passport card or book. if you don’t have one do you have a chance you’re going to be paying somebody off to be allowed past customs. if you drive into mexico pretty good chance you’re not going to be checked for a passport. as to returning to the United States your global entry is gold. Just walk in to the sentri lane. more than likely the US border patrol won’t even bother looking at your passport.
Jascoi
2 years ago
Too short of notice for a passport card and if it does get stamped I'd have to "lose" it up on crossing again which presents its own set of problems. May just have to play the odds. Your feedback/exp is appreciated.
MaxMaxima
2 years ago
Max, It is hit or miss on having your passport stamped. There will be periods where they will insist on you completing a customs report and having your passport stamped and other times where they simply glance at the book and waive you through. Currently, we are in a period where they simply waive you through. It has been that way for several months now with my last crossing being Saturday October 22nd. The only guarantee is to have the passport card. And yes, as Jascoi said, the global entry card is "gold". That little gem has saved me countless hours of line time at the border.
mf92802
2 years ago
As others have stated, it's hit or miss whether they stamp your passport. I've crossed maybe 15 or so times (multiple times per visit during five visits) and have been stamped only once or twice, so I'd say a 10-15 percent chance. Not an issues for me but obviously could be for someone with a SO. If they stamp your passport, I'd recommend just carefully tearing out that page rather than spending the $150 or whatever it is to get a new passport. Of course, that might raise more suspicion if your SO is the type to go through your passport with a fine-tooth comb and notices there's a page missing.
JAprufrock
2 years ago
You can ask that they not stamp your passport. Go with a completed FFM card and if they look like they are going to stamp the passport, ask them not to do so. Also, if you buy a 180-day pass, unlikely that they will stamp your passport. I think the stamp is in place of a visa, so if you give them something to stamp, such as the FFM, you might avoid the passport stamp.
PutaTester
2 years ago
I fly into San Diego to go to HK once a month. They never stamp mine.
Redbaron12
2 years ago
@MaxMaxima I will play along and comment on your discussion. You wrote and I quote: “really not excited about getting stamped and having to explain that one.” I guess you have a significant other that you would have to explain your visit to Tijuana, where the Happiest Place on Earth is located. My recommendation is to buy her a souvenir from your visit to Tijuana when you went “to get some real Mexican Food” not the California Americanized Version, if yo are there during Halloween/Day of the Dead 💀 bring her some sugar skulls (not for eating) and some Mexican style dress, etc. In any case your passport or passport card or even Drivers License will be scanned and there will be electronic records of when you went out and come me back to the United States for sure. Also your cellular phone will keep track and records of your location all the time you are there. Remember you are visiting a different country with a different culture a different language, but very nice people and really good food, an interesting “experiences” that you should be able and happy to afford. As long as you behave like respectable, friendly, gentleman, you will be treated like a friendly, respectable gentleman. Don’t overthink things, nothing is going to be exactly like you imagined or were told, just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best that way you won’t be surprised. Just relax stay open to the positive experiences so you can have a good enjoyable time at The Happiest Place on Earth (according to Krusty) https://tuscl.net/photo.php?id=1401 Keep in mind the Russian proverb: “People greet you according to the way you dress and say goodbay according to the way you behave" Don’t drink or do drugs or do or carry anything illegal, focus on enjoying your first Hong Kong experience, relax and enjoy, don’t worry be happy.
CJKent_band
2 years ago
putatester, When they are in a cycle where they stamp regularly, I purchase a 180 visa to reduce the stamping. They always stamped at the time the visa was purchased but after that I simply walked through the Mexican National line flashing the valid visa and my passport and was waived through.
mf92802
2 years ago
I have a global entry card and passport too. In my last couple of times across they have not stamped the passport. If you’re really tweaking over it you could even request as much if you see the agent reaching for the stamper as you’re going through.
captainfun
2 years ago
makes me glad I’m been divorced now for so long. I pity you guys that have to juggle things around to hide from your wife.
Jascoi
2 years ago
I'm not married, so I don't have to worry about having to see explain something to a SO.
OPIllini96
2 years ago
If asked for ID I would hand the global card and keep the passport in my pocket. That is what I did last time with myNEXUS card and I was never asked about my passport. I have both the book and the card but didn’t show either.
2 years ago
Next time I go I will show my Global Entry card just to see how they respond
mf92802
2 years ago
mf92802 "Next time I go I will show my Global Entry card just to see how they respond" I did that once going into Mexico. They said, "Wrong. Passport please."
PutaTester
2 years ago
Max, if your significant other is looking through your passport to see if and where it was stamped, you have much bigger problems.
RTP
2 years ago
Get a passport card. Last time I crossed, they didn't even look at my passport card, they just saw that I had one in my hand and waved me through......
EmptyAngel
2 years ago
When I crossed yesterday he opened my passport just looked at it then handed it back. Didn't ask any questions at all and just let me go through.
Funkycold88
2 years ago
Thanks all so it seems like pretty low chance of getting stamped
MaxMaxima
2 years ago
I crossed Border with global entry card this morning. They did not ask for my passport. Agent scanned my global entry card, asked me where I am heading and waved me through.
stevesaba
2 years ago
“Max, if your significant other is looking through your passport to see if and where it was stamped, you have much bigger problems.” I’m neither married or plan on going to Mexico - but totally agree with this statement Good luck!
motorhead
2 years ago
Apply for the passport card, or if your book was stamped, trash it after getting home and apply for new one.
TJ Walker
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion