“Classic & “Semi-Classic” Movies I’ve Never Watched

Thursday, November 10, 2022 10:11 PM
The several movie threads of this past week inspired me to write this. Although I consider myself a film buff, when I look back, there are a lot of movies I’ve never watched for one reason, or another that are considered classics by many. In no particular order - The Godfather Trilogy Scarface The Matrix Blade Runner Citizen Kane Raging Bull Any Star Wars movie except the original The French Connection Chinatown

25 comments

Rocky. I know it's a good movie that I'll almost certainly enjoy. I haven't actually avoided it, but I've just never gotten around to it.
Call.Me.Ishmael
2 years ago
The Godfather Raging Bull Cuckoo's Nest
TheSingularity
2 years ago
It's a Wonderful Life Driving Miss Daisy Forrest Gump I give watching all of them zero fucks.
SirLapdancealot
2 years ago
the wizard of oz casablanca schindler's list is talladega nights considered a classic?
rattdog
2 years ago
Most of the classics I haven't seen are by foreign directors like Bergman, Fellini and Kurosawa. I recently watched Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress". It was quite good. It influenced Lucas when he was doing "Star Wars".
docsavage
2 years ago
Kind of glad to someone else that’s never seen “The Godfather” I’m not really into the Mafia stuff. I only watched “The Sopranos” this year. I liked it better than I expected but it’s FAR from my favorite TV show of all time. Perhaps just outside of the top 5 And as I mentioned in the Scorsese thread, “Goodfellas” is ok, but it’s not really a favorite of mine, and is bit overrated in my book
motorhead
2 years ago
I’m not sure what movies I’ve missed over the years and I’ve seen most that were mentioned, but I’m going to recommend that you watch a movie that I think is as good as The Godfather, watch Once Upon A Time in America it’s great and not that well known.
twentyfive
2 years ago
Shawshank Godfather Scarface Goodfellows
Longball300
2 years ago
The Notebook Harry Potter series Sound of Music All the comic book stuff - Iron Man / Spider Man / Hulk / Wonder Woman - I’ve seen the Batmans, one Iron Man and one Spider Man but none of the others Men In Black 2 (didn’t care for the first one) Muhammad Ali All the animated movies. I saw the first Toy Story and that was it. Shriek series (could be lumped with animated)
shailynn
2 years ago
Sorry meant SHREK
shailynn
2 years ago
Almost exactly the same as what shailynn said except that I did see MIB2. Too many others to say regarding my own list and I don't have the time to think about and list them ATM.
TheeOSU
2 years ago
BTW, I did like the first MIB.
TheeOSU
2 years ago
I don't normally seek out "classic" movies to watch. I stick with what I like not what some critic likes. I did bend the rules recently and watched "The Notebook" just because I had seen references to it lately including in another movie. I didn't like it.
shadowcat
2 years ago
I was avoiding posting in this discussion, as I’m embarrassed to show the classics I’ve never watched. Casablanca It’s a wonderful life Basically any old B&W film - I’ve never watched. If you include colorized old B&W films too - I’ve never watched them too. I saw about 5 minutes of Blade Runner in high school before I fell asleep. In my defense, I drank half a bottle of gin before going to see it. Star Wars - I saw the first movie and didn’t watch any others.
Cashman1234
2 years ago
I thought the first two Godfather movies were outstanding. The third was just outlandish - never watched it again.
ATACdawg
2 years ago
Gone with the Wind - frankly, I just didn't give a damn.
datinman
2 years ago
Godfather 3 - Sofia Coppola was a terrible actress, but a nice piece of ass.
misterorange
2 years ago
I'd make gnocchi with that version of Sophia Coppola any day.
mike710
2 years ago
Citizen Kane Titanic Psycho Gone With the Wind A Fistful of Dollars/A Few Dollars More/The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I want to watch them, but I find Sergio Leone's directing, editing, cinematography, sound mixing - all of it!- to completely unwatchable Raging Bull The Searchers Shawshank Redemption Casablanca The Notebook
gammanu95
2 years ago
I haven't seen Gone with the wind or the Notebook either. THere are others but I just can't think. But motorhead some of those films I would check out. Come on Blade Runner and the origianl Matrix were incredible movies. Star Wars 2 and 3. Scarface. Watch those at least once. I'm almost jealous I wish I could see some of those again for the first time.
Muddy
2 years ago
Scarface is honestly just ok. It's an interesting study in how power and money can corrupt a person. But it's definitely not on my list of movies someone "needs" to see. Godfather 1+2 are must watch films.
JamesSD
2 years ago
I recently watched the real Scarface, with Paul Muni. I wasn't aware that the Pacino one was remake and was stunned at how unoriginal the remake is. Not just the fucked-up accents which don't sound Cuban at all, but the blood and gore was over the top. If the ones listed on this thread are the classics, then I have seen them all. Old yeller is a classic. Shane is a classic. 12 Angry men. The grapes of Wrath is a classic.
skibum609
2 years ago
I've never been a big fan of horror and zombie movies. I've seen a few early horror movies, the shining (excellent), P=ycho (OK) and Hush, hush sweet Charolette. But I haven't been interested in the more recent horror genre that features zombies, Jason, etc. I suppose that a few of those might qualify as "semi-classics."
Electronman
a year ago
I’ve watched pieces but could never sit thru all of Shawshank, Jerry McGuire or Forrest Gump. Really I never watch more than a minute of Jerry McGuire.
Studme53
a year ago
I've only seen clips of 12 angry men and Grapes of Wrath. The pacing of 12 angry men is way too slow for my brain.
JamesSD
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion