OT: Yellowstone: The Duttons are villains. Change my mind

Tuesday, November 15, 2022 11:48 PM
I never heard of the Yellowstone TV series before a year ago. Even then I thought it was on Paramount+ streaming only. Neertheless, I watched all the rebroadcasts and got hooked. Now I hate it. Kayce and the brother that were killed are the only characters who have not been shown to be true villains. They think nothing of killing employees they fire. They never warn them that if they hire on, they will be expected to perform criminal acts up to and including murder. They never warn them that the only way out of their employment is a bullet in the back of their head and their body left out for coyotes and vultures. Rip even seems to enjoy being the head executioner. Beth is the most vile and reprehensible female character ever given a leading role. Sure, Kelly Reilly is hot AF. It's practically criminal that she hasn't done any full-frontal nude scenes with those beautiful, natural funbags. Her character may be the worse. (fictional). person. ever. She asked her brother for an abortion, how was he supposed to know that the free clinic was also giving out free sterilizations? It was decades ago, get over it. She doesn't have to forgive him, but she has no right to endlessly harass and torment him. He should have killed her or let her kill herself when he had the chance, and he has had several. Now, in season five, she has promised to torture, humiliate, and dehumanize im even further. Is it any surprise that it seems like he may be driven to work for Market Equities against the Dutton clan? He as no other way to liberate himself from his vile foster family. Then we have John. The patriarch. Mister "I won't let my children run as Republicans." He wants all of his adult children to live at home and serve the ranch as a lawyer, as a inside trader and fraudster, as a partial and politically motivated livestock commissioner, and seat himself as governor to advance his business interests. Not to serve the people of Montana. Not to serve and uphold the constitution of the state, preserve its precious natural resources, or to protect individual liberties from government overreach and iummoral coporations. No, to protect his one ranch and his family alone. John Dutton manipulated politicians and elected officials into putting two of his children into the most powerful offices of the state, and has his daughter running the governor's office as Chief of Staff. All because he wants to keep his ranch, and keep it at the expense of any and all else. He does not care how any other Montanan business or family is ruined by his greed. I'm a conservationist. I hate the coastal elites as much as anyone. I hate the subjugation and destruction of our wildlife and natural spaces for profit and ego as much as any Greenpeace activist. Place the Yellowstone in a conservation trust is the only decent thing that the Dutton Clan has ever done - if they do that. Please, change my mind.

6 comments

I really enjoy the series. I also enjoyed the spin-off mini series, "1899". And I'm looking forward to the upcoming spin-off mini series starring Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren ("1923"). That said, as I was watching the two new episodes, I was thinking about how the show really isn't about rooting for the "good guys", so to speak. So, I'm probably not going to be the one to change your mind.
Call.Me.Ishmael
2 years ago
When season 3 started i went back and watched from the beginning. I’m hooked now. It’s one of only 2 or 3 new shows I watch I spent a summer in the vicinity of where it takes place - except the first 3 seasons were mostly filmed in Utah not Montana The inauguration party seemed pretty authentic depicting how guys in that part of country dress. Except for newcomers, they’re true cowboys. You go to church on Sunday and guys wear jeans and a tie and everyone wears a cowboy hat. At least when I was there in the 80’s they still herded and drove cattle like the Old West. Doesn’t matter if you’re driving on a road. You stop - the cows have the right of way
motorhead
2 years ago
I don’t disagree with you the Duttons are the villains. The show teases some nudity but could certainly use more. The barrel racers are kind of cute. And we got a glimpse of Beth’s fine ass in season 1, but not much since It was a big deal 10+ years ago when Mad Men and Breaking Bed occasionally said “fuck”. Now, it’s almost too common
motorhead
2 years ago
Beth Dutton is a total badass. My favorite rewatchable scene was her rescue of her Native American sister-in-law from the boutique that was accusing her of shoplifting. They didn’t know who she was until Beth showed up, dismissed the cops, locked the door and proceeded to trash the store and owner. It’s absolutely classic Beth. Kaycee’s wife Monica (played by Kelsey Asbille) is the hottest female character on the show IMHO. She also appears in Wind River, an excellent movie made by Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan. The whole Governor Dutton thing feels like a shark jump to me, not sure where the show’s story goes from here. People as powerful and rich as John Dutton don’t usually run for office (despite Trump…), they simply install and control those in elected positions to do their bidding. Oh well, it’s just entertainment.
azdd
a year ago
I've never watched and got this topic confused with the Fox News program "Streaming soon on Fox Nation: 'Yellowstone One-Fifty' with Kevin Costner".
shadowcat
a year ago
Gamma, was this a revelation? The Duttons were always the villains. Doesn’t make them any less fun to watch. And Monica is hot as fuck but I’m tired of them making her the damsel in distress all the time. I thought Sheridan understood it was an old cliche when they had her set up the highway rapist, but then there was the car accident this week. Cringe.
Hank Moody
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion