Thanksgiving Football

Thursday, November 24, 2022 12:30 PM
While football isn't anywhere near as popular here as it may be in Texas, Thanksgiving Day football is. In fact, going to the Needham- Wellesley game this morning. Its unique, very unique because it is the oldest High School football rivalry in the entire country. Today will the 135th time they have played. Do you go to the game? Did you ever?

8 comments

@Ski: I don't know how common Thanksgiving HS football is outside of MA. Here in FL HS football is predominantly a Friday night thing. Various divisions/conferences are currently competing in playoffs and I don't see them scheduling games on Thanksgiving, which would require at least one team to travel on the holiday. But I know exactly what you're saying. I grew up enjoying the same tradition. My old school still plays football on Thanksgiving in a rivalry game that goes back many decades. But I think that is a more of a regional tradition rather than one enjoyed nationwide.
rickdugan
a year ago
Nobody cares about high school football, SKi-Fagg, not even in dreary New England. Just admit that all you Boston fucks are depressed and suicidal since Brady left. I'm watching the Bills-Lions game only because I wanna see if Buffalo is a real threat in the playoffs to my beloved Chiefs. I might watch the Mich-Ohio State game on Saturday since both teams are undefeated, but quite truthfully I want both teams to suck my dick and die.
Thick-5-Incher
a year ago
High School football is definitely a Thanksgiving tradition that remains vibrant in MA to this day. I was a regular at my alma mater's Turkey day game for at least 5 years after my HS graduation. The next 5 years had me attending my HS alma mater's game when the game was held in my former hometown and Thanksgiving meal was still hosted at my parents home. I've probably attended 7 High School Thanksgiving games in the last 35 years, with most of them being home games in my adult home town (along with my children). Every visit does evoke pleasant memories of Thanksgiving's past!
rockie
a year ago
I grew up in northern NJ and our high school always played football on Thanksgiving, and always against the same rival team the next town over. Location alternated back and forth. When it was at the other town's field, we'd decorate our cars and drive a vehicle convoy all around the town for like an hour, beeping and shouting obscenities at anyone we passed! And they did the same to us. It was also an unofficial homecoming with former graduates even older than my parents showing up. As far as I know it's still going on, but I haven't gone in years.
misterorange
a year ago
When I was growing up we always had a pretty good sized crowd for Thanksgiving and it was always at my aunts house across the street was a school and we always had a football game going before we sat to eat Turkey don’t remember any high school games but we always had a Detroit Lions game on thanksgiving
twentyfive
a year ago
"High School football is definitely a Thanksgiving tradition that remains vibrant in MA to this day" It's definitely a New England quirk because in PA and OH where high school football is popular, I never heard of a game being played on Thanksgiving.
Thick-5-Incher
a year ago
It's fun to go to a 10:00 am high school football game on Thanksgiving, usually in fairly cold conditions, and then return to a warm house with food almost ready to eat.
rickdugan
a year ago
Here in Iowa, they already decided the 7 state championships for HS football. They already moved on to basketball and wrestling.
DandyDan
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion