Random Topic

Wednesday, February 8, 2023 11:06 AM
I saw a news headline that Bed, Bath, and Beyond is planning on closing another 150 stores - building upon the 250 already closed. Sales have taken a nose dive and they are deep in debt. In my 6 plus decades on the planet I have never stepped foot in a BB&Y store. Will anyone here admit they have? Unless it was to buy a gift for your lovely ATF? It’s no wonder they are in financial trouble - they are totally missing the mark with an above average income demographic. ($350k pre inflation level)

22 comments

It's a wtore oriented towards women. Women are hit more by the economy. So over priced scented candles become a lower priority.
Icee Loco (asshole)
a year ago
I acknowledge getting my shower mat there, but other than that, nothing.
DandyDan
a year ago
Eh, BBB is just another store. Many years ago I needed to build out my post-divorce bachelor pad from scratch. BBB had good selection and once you factored in their coupons, the prices were fine. But the coupon thing was tiresome on a regular basis, so I was less inclined to go on a regular basis for normal things. No need to go during the pandemic. Went once recently before it hit the news. It was obvious they were hurting; poor selection, empty shelves. Walked out without buying anything. Hit up Target and Amazon instead. I’m not going to miss them; plenty of other options out there. Their demise is just part of the natural life cycle of a company. @motorhead: TBH, I doubt the $325k demographic was ever BBB’s target customers.
IfIGottaBeDamned
a year ago
I've been in there, I can't remember why. It wasn't a remarkable experience in any way. I'm more likely to go there again than a Walmart though. Evidently, my personal shopping habits make little difference to either company. It's sure not saving BBB and Walmart is doing just fine.
Dolfan
a year ago
This rick has not been to a Bed Bath and Beyond in some time. But I have to say that their scented candles are a life saver. Do you know what my Tesla smells like after a good rick bender? Well, lemme tell you damn dirty apes…it smells like Jack Daniels, fast food, and used condoms. You don’t wanna smell that shit when you sober up. Add a lil sandalwood candle and it’s all peachy. Now where the fuck is my drivin’ whiskey? ROAR!!!
rickthelion
a year ago
Amazon is putting the hurt on a lot of retail stores. I used to go into BBBY stores a lot. My business had to buy a lot of things they provide and there was good quality and good selection there. Now, everything is available online at a much cheaper price and it can be there the next day. There will be more of this.
Warrior15
a year ago
I recently online ordered a new Keurig from BB... they utilized a Door Dash driver and it was at my door in less than an hour. Been in the store 6? times but, not recently. When you are buying certain things it is still better to be able to see the item in person. Tools, clothing, bedding, appliances..... kinda tired of ordering from Amazon and having to return it to.... Kohls... where I could have seen something similar and known not to order it.
Longball300
a year ago
It's probably been 15+ years since I visited a BBB and back then it was shopping for household items that I couldn't find in any other stores. I found them to be higher prices than other stores. My town of 15,000 people also has a JC Penny Co. that I have never been in.
shadowcat
a year ago
For 80% of the population, these days every dollar has to go to essentials like food, housing, and gas. No money left over for scented soap and decorator pillows.
mark94
a year ago
Mismanagement and discounting sales has cost this company its market share, everything available in stores is available for 20-25% less on Amazon, and customer service being almost nonexistent has cost them their customer base. It doesn’t help that the stores are dingy and need updating, as well as the merchandise they do have is carried in every big box store in the country. They won’t be missed.
twentyfive
a year ago
Stores are crowded (shelves too close to other shelves) and expensive vs competitors (even sometimes after using a coupon).
funonthaside
a year ago
I think the coupons ultimately had a negative effect. They sent out so many that I'd wind up with dozens cluttering up drawers and my car, but seldom seemed to have one handy when I needed it at the store. Then paying full price without the coupon felt like punishment. But I didn't want to have to go home and come back with the coupon later. Plus standing in line, only going when open, etc. Who needs the hassle? Amazon fixed it all.
Rod8432
a year ago
According to Wikipedia, as of 2019 they had 1,020 BB&B branded stores (not counting subsidiaries) in all 50 states (before the mass closings). That's an average of over 20 per state, but assuming states like Wyoming and Hawaii probably have about 2 or 3, I figure the large populous states must have more like 30+. Walmart or Home Depot, I get it, but who the fuck needs that many towel stores? I'll admit I went there once, years ago, looking for vinyl mattress and pillow covers. I was having a certain lady friend over, and I knew it was gonna get messy! Turns out they had exactly what I needed. Two different price points too. I bought the more expensive ones.
misterorange
a year ago
I shopped BB&B perry regularly. Otvwas great for office gifts, stocking stuffers, white elephants, and last minute mid-range replacements when something broke.
gammanu95
a year ago
I got new bath towels and a few other things for the bathroom there about 4 months ago. Like others have said it is nothing really special and most things are a lot cheaper online. I mainly went because it is hard to judge the texture of towels when shopping online and the last set I bought online sucked so I wanted to be able to actually put my hands on them before buying a new set.
whodey
a year ago
I bought a juicer from a location I think two years ago? I remember they had cute knick knacks there. But on the other hand, I’m not surprised at what is going on. I could have sworn I have seen home good stores listed on one of the “Millennials killed…” clickbait headlines that were popular a few years ago.
nicespice
a year ago
I was never much of a BBB shopper personally although I’ve been in their-stores over-the-years mostly to drive my Mom or Aunt there since they didn’t drive (but haven’t been in a BBB since pre-Covid) – per what I remember (at least pre-Covid) they seemed to have a pretty-good selection compared to the avg brick-and-mortar store and a bit higher-prices but also seemed to have a bit-better-quality. I assume what “did them in” was online-competition mainly Amazon (not only hard to compete w/ the online/Amazon prices; but also the seemingly-endless online-selection). BBB is far from the only brick-and-mortar store to go out of business due to online-shopping/Amazon competition and actually lasted more than many. I don’t like being in stores for hours looking for stuff – I think most people prefer the online-convenience (as well as lower-prices) and/or don’t have the time to be driving to stores and fighting traffic etc. I’m not a big-shopper and usually buy stuff b/c I need-it vs just b/c I want something new to have – I still prefer to go to a brick-and-mortar when it comes to buying clothes and shoes b/c I wanna see how it fits; but for almost everything else I don’t see the appeal of the brick-and-mortar.
Papi_Chulo
a year ago
I have to imagine a store like this, especially with all the real estate and overhead, must have been pummeled by Covid. Seriously, there's not a single item in the whole store that people "need". Lots of people "want" new towels, or sheets, or a juicer, or a Keurig machine. But when times are screwed up like they were for a couple years, pretty sure people can deal with their faded old sheets, and dry off their ass and armpits with a dishrag if it became necessary.
misterorange
a year ago
Catchy name but like Circuit City, this appears to be the end, closing these stores are just hail mary's.
Muddy
a year ago
^^ Sheesh. How many electronics chains have come and gone? Just a few I can remember from around the tri-state area: Circuit City, J&R Music World which evolved into J&R Computer World, Crazy Eddie, Incredible Universe, Nobody Beats the Wiz...
misterorange
a year ago
Those electronics chains keep going bankrupt - and then another one pops up with a different name - and another set of sleazy sales folks. There is a Best Buy in West Paterson and it feels like a cavity search when you leave that store. Bed Bath and Beyond seems to keep dipping in and out of bankruptcy. They close stores, and then they seem more efficient for a quarter or two, and then they get into another cash crunch, and drop back underwater. Its odd. They carry so much merchandise in each store, so they must have a high carrying cost. I was at one over the holidays, and I think they carry too much merchandise. The aisles are filled with displays, and they might do well to have less junk? I’m not going to that store to buy a lavender scented dog bed, or a barbecue sauce gift pack.
Cashman1234
a year ago
I saw that there were a record number of car repossessions last month. If people can't afford to make their car payments, then they probably can't afford a lot of other things. There is also a record number of people holding two jobs. They can't live on the income from one job. Also, credit card debt reached a record level in the last quarter of 2022. With all this going on, I would bet on businesses providing for necessities doing the best in the near future.
docsavage
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion