OT: If you want to feel old...

Wednesday, March 1, 2023 4:25 AM
Today is the 40 YEAR anniversary of "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" the final episode of M*A*S*H. A 30-second commercial was $450,000. By comparison, the same 30 seconds during that year's Super Bowl (Dolphins/Redskins) was only $400,000. And a few weeks from now, March 21, will mark 43 YEARS since an unknown assailant launched one of the greatest cliffhangers in TV history, with everyone asking "Who Shot JR Ewing?" I remember being at the beach that summer and about 1 in 5 people wore a shirt that said "I shot JR". Lol

13 comments

Never really watched M*A*S*H. I do recall the Dolphins/Redskins SB (I had recently turned 13) - that SB was for the strike-shortened '82 season. I remember the "Who Shot JR" thing - I used to watch the show Dallas since it aired on Friday nights.
Papi_Chulo
a year ago
Damn. More than half my life ago. I am truly an old fart.🫤
ATACdawg
a year ago
I think you'd be an older fart if it was less than half your life ago.
wallanon
a year ago
Considering I wasn't even a year old yet when M.A.S.H. ended and wasn't born when JR got shot this thread doesn't make me feel old. In fact reading comments on TUSCL makes me feel a lot younger than I do most other times.
whodey
a year ago
The Friday Night Death Slot really didn’t become a big thing until the mid 1980’s to 1990’s. When the VCR gained popularity in the 1980’s, Friday nights became “Blockbuster and Pizza Night” Dallas, Falcon Crest, Sanford & Son, The Odd Couple, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, and Love, American Style were all hits in the 70’s and early 80’s. Miami Vice may have been one of the last. And the X-Files first gained a following on Friday nights. Yup, I guess I am old
motorhead
a year ago
Hey, I'm just getting started.
twentyfive
a year ago
Believe it or not, one of my first memories is watching what was probably the 1st Super Bowl with my dad on our old console TV - the 1 TV we had. I say “probably 1st Super Bowl” because I remember the Chiefs, and not much else.
Studme53
a year ago
A lot of people today don't remember or never witnessed how 'TV by appointment' was such a ball-ache.
Call.Me.Ishmael
a year ago
The first Super Bowl was the first time I watched TV in color. Didn't live in a house with color television until I went to college. Looking back, we were poor.
skibum609
a year ago
Wow. It's been OFF the air for 40 years ? But I think I watched it more as syndicated reruns than when it was first aired shows.
Warrior15
a year ago
I was 4 when all this went down but I do remember my parents and their friends always talking about Dallas and MASH. TV by appointment is so true. Think about it. Things were so different back then. You had to BE THERE to watch that show. No DVR, rerun. Networks like HBO just ran movies, no original programming. I think people had a lot less to do back then. I remember going out to eat was an “event” there also were probably less than 20% of the restaurants that exist today, at least it feels that way.
shailynn
a year ago
@motorhead: you left Dynasty off of your list! Any show with Linda Evans and Joan Collins in a cat fight has to be memorable!🥹😍🤣
ATACdawg
a year ago
Linda Evans …. What a babe ! I loved her
motorhead
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion