Out of Business

Monday, April 10, 2023 2:56 AM
I don’t know why, but I went and scrolled all the clubs I have raviewed over the years. I didn’t count but it looks like at least 25% (1/4th for the fraction nerds) are now out of business. It even shows how some have changed names and THEN went out of business. If I look back to where I live, every single shitty strip club has gone out of business and none remain. Over half of the clubs in the closest metro area to me are gone now too. Almost all my favorite clubs across the country are still open, but most where really “good” clubs to begin with, most the ones on my list that have closed were never great (there are a few that were good). What about your old haunts? Still going strong or closed up and now a Starbucks?

17 comments

Two of my first strip clubs that I ever visited are gone. Blue Goose and Tropicana. One burned down and became a parking lot. The other changed owners and they renovated the whole interior, made it look nice and modern, but it became a shithole. Had a lot of fun in their VIP storage closet back in the day.
Mike Rotch
a year ago
“Storage closet”??? I hope you didn’t have sex with a mop!
shailynn
a year ago
No mops in there but there was a few girls who had vacuums for mouths.
Mike Rotch
a year ago
Off the top of my head not too many but a handful. But the northeast has a lot of these go go bar places that are a dime a dozen. One place that took a shellacking was El Paso. It lost about half its club in just a few years. Used to have about dozen now I think it’s 5 or 6. I think it’s gonna get rough coming up and you’ll see a big wave of lesser clubs go down once discretionary income really starts to take a shit. Maybe like we’ve never seen before.
Muddy
a year ago
One of the clubs I used to visit all the time before it closed looks like it got taken over by an auto auction company. Another looks like it simply became a regular bar. Two others were in rural locations and look like buildings left out there to rot.
DandyDan
a year ago
Pressure from local governments have closed five clubs from the earliest days of my clubbing career. These were out-of-state clubs for me. Economic pressures and/or poor management have closed another three other clubs from my early days too. These were local clubs for me. In both cases, anlmost all of those building are now vacant or have been bulldozed and not replaced with anything.
IfIGottaBeDamned
a year ago
Here in South Florida I can come up with more than a dozen between Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach, including a very well known one back in the day called the Dollhouse that was the setting for Motley Crue's video "Girls, Girls, Girls." along with the Landing Strip In WPB, the Mermaid, Morey's, Platinum Gold, and so many others, most were shuttered by the local municipalities, a few just gave up or moved Like Solid Gold, which has been struggling since it shut down because of the pandemic, the way I see it unless the business is in an unincorporated area, they face too much pressure from the local power brokers to withstand the forces allied against them.
twentyfive
a year ago
Yes 25, a lot of the ones I went to disappeared in south Florida l. I think the landing strip burned down? So I heard. I dated a dancer there before I realized she worked there. A lot of the clubs here changed names before eventually being shut down via city ordinance. Tiffany’s changed to Aphrodite’s then platinum gold before shutting down. Showtime changed to platinum showgirls before getting raided and shut down for prostitution and drug activity. Further north, one of the best in its heyday Peek-a-Boo was briefly known as the Wild West before becoming Scores. Another one of my former favorites Flashdance is now the Rose. T’s lounge is now club Ultra. I don’t recall ever going the the mermaid but I do remember hearing about it a few times
Specialj
a year ago
I just did a search on nearby strip clubs. It listed 24 clubs and 36 that were "out of business". What's the point of listing all of those closed clubs?
shadowcat
a year ago
I agree shadowcat at least founder deleted out of business clubs from the top 40. Cheetah pompano is currently at 9 how high will it go?
Specialj
a year ago
^ When I moved to SoFlo in 1989, there were clubs in most towns Boynton Beach, Lantana, Deerfield, Ft Lauderdale had a few, but about 1995 property started getting expensive, and the land those clubs were on was worth more than the businesses they supported, don't forget there SWs all over the place, Dixie, Federal, and this area was a real free for all. but as the residential areas started getting very expensive, the nanny state took over. South Florida is so changed from how I remember it. It was a great place and fun was all over, times have really changed.
twentyfive
a year ago
Probably over a third of clubs have closed here in Indianapolis in the dozen years I've been visiting local clubs. Some are showing here as still open. One was moved from the open category to the closed category when I emailed the owner of this website. It may just be no one has checked out certain clubs and then emailed in they are not still open. The clubs that closed were all the worst clubs. There isn't one that closed where I think how much I miss it.
docsavage
a year ago
Small town WV. We used to have 5-6. Now we're down to two. One strip of road outside of Charleston used to have almost a dozen most of which were nothing more than brothels that posed as strip clubs. They've all shut down. Only one club remaining in Charleston. Surprising for the largest city in the state.
slider0
a year ago
Sadly strip clubs are dying off, for all the reasons noted like politics, local community standards, increasing property values, and bad management, but also because society and the sex industry business model has changed.
iknowbetter
a year ago
“What about your old haunts? Still going strong or closed up and now a Starbucks?” This made me laugh because that’s exactly what happened to my favourite club from the early 2000’s.
Eric_Murphy
a year ago
Of my reviews here (last 13 years or so) 19 are still around and 14 are closed. I had visited many in my pre-tuscl days. I think quite a few of those are still around. Certainly the famous ones are. Memorable clubs now long gone include the Tanga, Chez Joey in SF, Atlanta Gold Club, Atlanta SHE bar, a couple on the Block, a couple in the Boston Combat Zone (only place I ever saw afternoon FS going on visible from the sidewalk through the open door), some on Harry Hines that might still be there, ...
goldmongerATL
a year ago
Many of the clubs mongers consider “good” are those where extras can be provided. They are also the ones that local authorities are looking to close if possible. Many of my former frequently visited clubs have closed.
TxVegas
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion