Uber/Lyft

Monday, May 22, 2023 12:31 PM
Has anyone had experience catching an Uber or Lyft from the US side of the PedEast back to San Diego? Are they readily available? I usually head back around 1:00 or 2:00 AM. I normally stay in San Diego within walking distance of the trolley and take the trolley to TJ. However, for my July trip, hotels that fit that criteria are insanely expensive. Looking for other options.

4 comments

According to Google: “ Uber drivers are not able to drive you across the border. Probably for legal and insurance reasons. If you wish to take an Uber from downtown San Diego to downtown Tijuana, you’ll have to request a ride to the border, walk across the border on foot, then request another ride in Tijuana after you cross. It’s inconvenient, but it’s the only option at this time.” “In the past, there was a service called UberPassport which allowed you to cross the border from the US to Mexico in an Uber. This service was discontinued in 2016. You could ask your Uber driver if they are willing or able to drive you across the border. In this case, you would arrange a rate with them outside of the app.” Just use common sense, listen to your gut feeling and instinct and be careful out there in the world, and in The Happiest Place on Earth. :D
CJKent_band
a year ago
The question is, can you get Uber from the US side to a US destination. The answer is yes. Up the street on the left side as you are walking away from the border crossing is a stretch dedicated to ride pickup, much like at the airport. Drivers often hang out at the mall or nearby waiting to provide rides, so your wait time is short.
PutaTester
a year ago
@PutaTester-Thanks!
devl_dawgg
a year ago
I have used both Uber and Lyft from the US side. I have never had to wait more then 10 -15 minutes even at 2 in the morning. Both make you walk a bit of the way up San Ysidro Blvd past the Jack in the Box for the pick up area like @Putatester said.. I usually put in the request as soon as I walk out of the immigration building. More often than not the drivers were already dropping someone off at the border. Usually around $30 to go downtown plus tip. The drivers aren't stupid, they know if you are a single white guy where you are coming from, I have had some good conversations with some of the drivers. The last one memorably ask me if I enjoyed the Mexican food and the Chinese (Hong Kong pussy) food. I hadn't heard that one before.
rugrat
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion