[OT] Telematic Car Insurance Tracking App

Friday, May 26, 2023 10:23 AM
I’ve been insured by one of the well known national car insurance for many years. When the tracking apps first came on the market I thought to myself - I’m a good driver, maybe I can save on my rates. But then, I let the wary, paranoid side of my brain takeover and I didn’t want another intrusion in my personal life. When I moved to another state a couple of years ago and I stayed with the same company but my new agent coerced me into using the app. They jacked up my rates triple and when I called they said - oh, you can really save money by installing the app. So I did and my rates went down cheaper than before. But it’s weird using the app. It does force you to make better decisions in general - don’t speed, don’t run the red light. But I think it’s way too strict. No matter how hard I try I can’t get above an average score of 90 to 92. And while they claim cell phone usage is tracked but not scored against you - I’m not so sure. When I travel and use the GPS app, even if I touch the phone while moving, my trip score plummets.

20 comments

Do you plug a tracking device into your OBD port on the car ? If so, I’ve seen claims that harms the car mechanically.
mark94
a year ago
No plug in. There’s a transponder I stick to my window that’s Bluetooth to the phone
motorhead
a year ago
A few years before I retired I put tracking devices on our trucks, not only did it save a ton of money, it actually worked well, the vehicles that had tracking devices hat less mileage and fewer minor damages, as far as your personal vehicle, if your car is 2015 or newer GPS tracking is mostly built into every vehicle sold. So what's the difference, if you get involved in a major collision law enforcement will subpoena your data tracker, and being on public roadways, with tracking cameras, all around, you have no real presumption of privacy.
twentyfive
a year ago
^ We still have the presumption of privacy, but as a populace we are sheeple and traded our privacy for convenience. The only thing Orwell got wrong was that the police state would be welcomed, not forced upon us by a war.
skibum609
a year ago
^ in Florida traffic cameras are everywhere and you cannot prevent LE from accessing them, so how do you have a presumption of privacy when are out in public, please explain.
twentyfive
a year ago
We live in a country where laws and constitutional rights don't matter very much anymore. The government does as they please without regard for the rule of law. We may have a "legal" presumption of privacy, but as a practical matter not so much. Shit, we don't even have a presumption of innocence anymore when accused of a crime. Your life is ruined as soon as the TV news decides you don't deserve what you have.
misterorange
a year ago
^ For that you can thank the facists on the Supreme Court, overturning Roe v Wade was the most egregious assault on your presumption of privacy.
twentyfive
a year ago
Abortion is not an issue I care about one way or the other. If the conservatives want to see babies born into poverty-stricken households that don't want them, or if the libs want to hack them up before they're born, makes no difference to me. What I've got a real problem with is people tracking my movements whether it's by camera, GPS, automobile transponder, EZ-Pass, or a couple of government goons in a Suburban with darkened windows. When skibum said, "The only thing Orwell got wrong was that the police state would be welcomed, not forced upon us by a war," I think that was only partially right. Many people have this constant hunger to acquire the latest technology the moment it becomes available, so yes, as a society we welcome the enemy into our lives. But if you are someone who wants to resist it, the best you can do is put if off for a little while. You can't really live without a smart phone, upgrades are mandatory, and it's designed with a finite lifespan, so you need to replace it with the newest spy tech. Sooner or later you need a new car and if they're ALL built with tracking devices, nothing you can do. You could (I suppose) somehow live without EZ-Pass, but you're still photographed every time you pass through a toll booth, so what's the difference unless you just choose not to drive anywhere. It's like how the tranny faggots are forcing their way into our lives. Like it or not, you have no choice but to see that shit everywhere. If you don't like it, well then just never leave your house and smash your TV. Problem solved.
misterorange
a year ago
^ most people would prefer some semblance of privacy, and less tracking of their personal information and data. Before you bitch about the level of information that the government has on you, stop voting for authoritarian figures who pretend to be conservatives and vote for legitimate small government politicians who actually walk the walk, take a look at Asa Hutchison of Arkansas, the current Republican front runners are all phonies and are just as nanny state oriented as any of the democrats
twentyfive
a year ago
So Motörhead, I’m curious how much this saved you? What percentage less is your rate going this route versus your old rate? I do not drive my personal cars much, so I have thought about using this too, but every time I go anywhere, I live right off an interstate exit, and I routinely blare 80+ in a 70MPH zone every time I leave my house. Everyone does it around me too and there’s never any cops around. I probably “coast” through 4 stop signs a day - you know, coming off an exit ramp and nobody else is even around, we all probably do it unless you live in an area with traffic cams. I figured it I installed this and they saw how I drive they’d double my insurance!!!
shailynn
a year ago
In 66 years of driving, I have never had an accident where I was at fault and never filed any claims against my insurance companies. So do I speed? Yes. Do I drag race or drink and drive ? No. Haven't had a ticket in over 10 years. But my premiums are high for 3 reasons. My age, my HP and the high dollar amounts juries are awarding in accident cases. But I'll be damned if I ever let them put a tracking device on my car.
shadowcat
a year ago
^ Overturning Roe V. Wade was the most perfect Scotus case ever. Abortion is not healthcare and not a right Roe v. Wade found a constitutional right to abortion (which does not appear in the Constitution), based on a right of privacy (which does not appear in the Constitution), in violation of the 10th amendment, which reserves all rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution to the states. You embarrass yourself 25. Very sorry you murderous baby killers lost.....not. The party of illegals, thugs, welfare cheats homos and trannies has nothing to offer real Americans. Privacy is not a right int this country. It was a privilege we fucking gave away. The true fascist wants you to believe what they say even when you know they are wrong. Do you birthing people get that?
skibum609
a year ago
^ Your being an idiot I’m not embarrassing myself that your bailiwick. It’s a fact that the state is incredibly involved in decisions involving a woman and her doctor, and really have no business being there your position undermines your entire argument, where you want the state to be there to tell us what to do. You anti abortion fools need to mind your own fucking business.
twentyfive
a year ago
I'm also curious. How much you are saving by having the app? I would probably need my car insurance to be free to consider this. Does the app know when you are drinking a tallboy while driving?
sinclair
a year ago
^ I looked it up, back in 2019 we earned a 17.5 percent total reduction,on the auto premium in my BOP, and the reduction in excess wear and tear on our vehicle leases of over 500 dollars per vehicle
twentyfive
a year ago
Right to Life would more correctly called Requirement to Give Birth. Now, I don't have a problem with that IF we are equally as willing to provide the necessary support to allow those children whose mothers have been forced to give birth to thrive. What? No takers? Then we need to stay out of those very private and painful decisions.
ATACdawg
a year ago
All I can say is thank god my company doesn’t do this with my company car because I’d probably get into trouble quick. I don’t drive like an asshole but if there’s no traffic on the interstate I definitely go over the speed limit. Okay maybe sometimes I drive like an asshole when I buzz a jerk going slow in the left lane.
shailynn
a year ago
As far as savings….it’s been a roller coaster ride. I’ve never sat down and done the math for 24 months but my gut feeling has been it’s a wash. The first few months I saved $20 per month. Not sure if that was an introductory offer or establishing a baseline. Then it increased but still was saving about $3 per month. Then it went up $10 a month and now it’s up $13 from my pre-Covid rates. So not sure if it’s related to inflation in general or my driving. The app gives you a 2 week rolling average. I generally am around 92. I briefly got as high as 95. But then take a trip on the interstate and drive 80 with the flow of traffic and your score in the 80’s hangs with you for awhile. I’ve read you need near perfection, 97-98 to see any real reduction in rates and that’s impossible to achieve. I’m no daredevil driver but I get scored down a lot for cornering and hard braking. Coming to a yellow light is real challenge. If you brake hard you get scored low but if you don’t you run the risk of getting caught by the camera.
motorhead
a year ago
Find a new insurance carrier.
dha
a year ago
^^^ probably a good idea, but my ego keeps telling my I’m a good driver and I can beat it.
motorhead
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion