Death.

Monday, June 5, 2023 3:34 PM
I was stuck sitting next to this fat ass middle aged woman going on and on about how important her funeral will be and how she wants everyone to remember her, blah blah blah. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this and it always seems like it’s 2 type of people who talk about this (that I see): 1. Overweight women mid 40s up - Gen X / some boomers 2. Gen X men - most of them never married but not all of them. Maybe they just listened to the Cure too much in high school. Who knows. But seriously is this a big deal? Do you think I give a hoot about what happens when I die? Hopefully when I die it will be an old death, my parents will be long gone and my wife will be financially secure. That’s all I really care about. Do people really give it that much thought? Especially someone in their 40s that potentially has a long road to go?

29 comments

I'm around your age and I have a will and instructions of what to do when I pass, but it's more about the practical shit. Really, the wake and funeral and that shit are about helping the living comes to terms with it.
Tetradon
a year ago
it's self-reflection and caring about what people will feel about them when their time has come. your actions should be what's most responsible for how others you're close with perceive you, not the event of your funeral. that fat ass' way of thinking is just totally fucked up.
rattdog
a year ago
I recently created a will and advance healthcare directive. In the section that talks about internment and treatment of remains or whatever I literally just wrote "The cheapest way possible."
misterorange
a year ago
I probably fall into category 2, but I don't give a fuck about a funeral or burial or any of that nonsense. Toss my corpse in the Gulf or the Atlantic, or use me to bait lobster traps or something. Toss me the the trash compactor or incinerator, or prop me up beside the jukebox. IDGAF, not even a little. If I die tomorrow, there's a few people I'd like to ensure are secure financially as you mentioned. I expect I'll likely outlive most of them though. All bets are off if/when they go first.
Dolfan
a year ago
Grief is for those still living.
ATACdawg
a year ago
I’m a Boomer and I don’t give a fuck. I don’t want a funeral. (Probably no one would show up anyway). No viewing or any of that. So many people my parent’s age and older made a big deal about wanting to be brought back from Florida to “home”. WTF. I never understood paying the airline $1000 to transport the body back home. You’ve lived in Florida for 25 years - that’s your home now, not somewhere back in the Midwest. Bury or cremate me where I die.
motorhead
a year ago
And if the people I leave behind insist on a service, they better not play any “Amazing Grace” or any of that somber shit. They better be playing some Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix
motorhead
a year ago
If you have children or a spouse the best thing you can do is make a health care directive and if you can afford it the best advice is to get a preneed funeral including your burial or cremation so your family doesn’t have to deal with the arrangements at a stressful moment, my family is cared for, and my funeral arrangements are fully paid for.
twentyfive
a year ago
Carl Jung said that every patient he had over the age of 40 had a fear of death as a root cause of their psychological problems.
mark94
a year ago
My mom was extremely utilitarian about death. She saw no sense in the money spent or the fuss & planning. So, she insisted on no funeral/church service, no grave site/burial, no headstone, etc. She asked us to spread her ashes on her favorite beach and that's it. We had to talk her into a couple of newspaper announcements and a simple, small "family & friends" gathering (which we wanted). Honestly, not having to deal with all the logistics of burying someone made the grieving process a lot less burdensome and emotionally draining. So, I plan to do essentially the same thing as a favor to those I leave behind.
Call.Me.Ishmael
a year ago
I'm 81. It's hard not to think about it when you read about so many people younger than me dying. 10 years ago I prepared my family for my passing by preparing a will and a living will. I have added my daughter as co holder of all of my bank accounts and have made it clear that I want to be cremated and don't care what they do with the ashes. In the mean time, I try not to dwell on it and live each day the best I can. 3 weeks ago I ordered a 2024 Mustang Gt Premium with 480hp. I intend to use it to drive to my favorite strip club. My biggest worry right now is what to wear to my 25 yo grand daughter's wedding.
shadowcat
a year ago
While we're talking about wills, this is very important: Even if you don't have a lot of assets and/or you are ok with everything just passing along according to law, IF YOU OWN FIREARMS you need to consider a will. I have life insurance with my wife and two kids as beneficiaries. I own a small condo outright with no mortgage which will go to my wife. Beyond that I've got IRA funds that already have beneficiaries declared, a car, a motorcycle, and a big pile of junk like everyone has. You might not think I need a will. But I own a bunch of guns, mostly handguns. You have to check the laws in your state. Maybe it's not a problem for you. But if you live in a state that's not gun-friendly, you could have a problem if you don't have a will. Not you, but your heirs. Here in NJ, if I dropped dead without a will, all my guns would automatically go to my wife. She owns one small .38 revolver, but she's not into guns like I am. If she inherited all my guns she would want to get rid of them. But the problem is that in NJ in order to legally transfer a handgun, the person receiving the gun would need to apply for a Handgun Permit and go through the exact same process as if he was buying a new gun at a gun store, and that's for each and every gun. So if she wanted to give them away to my friends who would appreciate them, they would have to go through the whole process for each gun, and then an FFL would have to execute the transfer, and charge a fee, also for EACH gun. Which means the guns would need to be brought TO the FFL where the transfer was to take place, and the people receiving the guns would need to have a NICS check done, also for an additional fee, and it could take a couple days so that means two trips to the FFL. It would be a logistical nightmare. I believe for long guns the process is simpler, but the person inheriting the rifle or shotgun would need to apply for a "Certificate of Eligibility" before the transfer could legally take place. All of this bullshit is avoided by having a will that designates specific heirs for each firearm. Don't ask me why, but in NJ if your firearms transfer by means of a Last Will and Testament, your buddies or whoever can just come pick them up from your wife. They don't even need to register them or file any paperwork whatsoever. Anyway, that's my PSA for today. If you own guns, find out how your state's inheritance laws relate to the transfer of firearms. For 70 or 80 bucks you can do a will on LegalZoom and save your family and friends a lot of grief.
misterorange
a year ago
Under the wide and starry sky, Dig the grave and let me lie. Glad did I live and gladly die, And I laid me down with a will This be the verse you grave for me: Here he lies where he longed to be; Home is the sailor, home from sea, And the hunter home from the hill. Robert Louis Stevenson
twentyfive
a year ago
^Good for you… let’s just hope that new Mustang is able to attract strip club sluts your granddaughters age, but doesn’t accelerate the inevitable. Keep it between the ditches. You’re a role model to us much younger, old farts.
iknowbetter
a year ago
I plan on dying on a Wednesday night so that my wife can utilize trash day, stuff me in 2-3 bags and put me out at the curb with the recycling bin. Live forever or die tonight; don't give a damn either way. Dying isn't even on my top 100 things to think about.
skibum609
a year ago
Much younger old farts. Now thats funny. Come down to North Florida Shadow & Orange. We like our Mustangs AND our guns. And the clubs are the best.
dha
a year ago
I also told my loved ones to donate every part of my body, from my liver and heart to my toenails, to those needing transplants, or to science.
Tetradon
a year ago
I still want to be shadowcat when I grow up.
Dolfan
a year ago
One of my points of this post which I failed to make (my own fault) is there are people obsessing over what their funeral is going to be like, because I think that’s all they have to look forward to because their current life (in their eyes) is miserable. I find a lot of poor life choices have led them to this, where that’s all they have to look forward to. I have a relative like this, and well, he’s a loser so I’m just trying to understand where he’s coming from. What they fail to realize is - it’s never too late to turn it around. They are worried about how people view THEM at their funeral and likely not the concern of grieving family and friends. I’m like “you’ll be dead, you’re not going to be able to review this after the ceremony, let it go.”
shailynn
a year ago
I keep seeing those Colonial Penn commercials where you get life insurance for 9.99 a month with zero medical questions or exams. I knew it must be a rip-off, but thought it would be fun to surprise a few of my buddies with an insurance payout to throw a party, or maybe do a Vegas trip to remember me after I'm gone. I'm thinking like $20,000. Do you know that 9.99 a month only gets you $1,300 of insurance? I'd have to spend $150 a month to get 20 grand. And with my rotten luck, I'd probably live another 25 years. Lol
misterorange
a year ago
I'm in my early 40s and I don't give my death much thought, but I am prepared for it to happen so that it doesn't become too much of a logistical hassle for my family. After watching my great uncle go through alzheimers and then die without a wife or any children and seeing what a mess his funeral planning and estate became I vowed that I would never put my family through that mess. I have had a will, advanced healthcare directives, beneficiaries for all of my policies and my bank accounts set up to transfer upon my death since my early 30s and I review and update that information every couple of years with my attorney. I plan to donate my organs and any tissue they can use and have the rest cremated. My will asks for my ashes to be spread along the shore of the pond on my property. Beyond that, my family knows that the closest thing I want to a funeral is for them to all get together just to make sure they have a chance to grieve together if they want. If they don't feel the need to grieve for me they can all just get together to eat, drink and visit with each other.
whodey
a year ago
I hope to live long enough the main people who come to my funeral are my descendants.
JamesSD
a year ago
“… I plan on dying on a Wednesday night so that my wife can utilize trash day, stuff me in 2-3 bags and put me out at the curb with the recycling bin. Live forever or die tonight; don't give a damn either way …” Finally – reading thru the thread I was hoping for an uplifting POV!
Papi_Chulo
a year ago
I'm such a conceited douchebag that I'm planning on living forever as the SUPREME RULER OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!! But on the off chance I don't, all of my assets (a busted ass Honda accord, $2k in strip club money, a Goonies VHS tape and various Gatorade bottles that I urinate in when Mcdonalds won't let me use their bathroom) will be divided up between Papi_Chulo, shailynn and misterorange.
Muddy
a year ago
And Rick Dugan can have my white suit with the pastel blue undershirt and loafers w/no socks. For only he can carry on the legacy of leaving strippers stunned in a state of shock and awe in his wake. It’s sort of the mongers version of King Arthur’s sword and this gift I shall bequeath upon him (even though he already has a closet full of them)
Muddy
a year ago
I’ll take the goonies VHS - Papi will take all the Gatorade bottles
shailynn
a year ago
Yeah, Papi needs some mouthwash....😜
ATACdawg
a year ago
Do people really give it that much thought? I had a brother die ( unexpected) in December. A dog die in January. Watched a sister die in February (she lived with us her last 7 months). So, yeah, have thought about it more than I used to. But it's the train we are all on. Definitely had me down for a while, but pulling out of it. Life is sweet, whether enjoying good food, playing music, getting carnal with the wife, or handsy with sweeties at the local club. Life is to be enjoyed; this be our only chance.
gSteph
a year ago
I haven’t put together a will or anything. I’ll probably opt for donating my body to science. But there are a couple of songs that I’m hoping will get played in my honor: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIdRJlzERo&pp=ygUbZGluZyBkb25nIHRoZSB3aXRjaCBpcyBkZWF https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H48kOqqaWv0&pp=ygUYZGVhZCBteSBjaGVtaWNhbCByb21hbmNl
nicespice
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion