[OT] US Open Golf

Monday, June 19, 2023 12:01 PM
I used to be an avid watcher of golf on TV but have really lost interest the last 5-6 years. However, I watched a lot of the coverage over the weekend. I think the fact it was held in Los Angeles and allowed for prime time coverage helped. Unfortunately, neither of my rooting interests Rickie Fowler or Rory McIlroy could pull it out under pressure. But what was up with the annoying airplane buzzing sound. It seems with all of today’s technology it seems they should have been able to filter it out. It was non stop and brutal. And who the hell gave approval for the plane to fly over the airspace for the entire tournament?

11 comments

The airplane is used to pickup and relay the TV broadcast signals. This has been a part of most golf coverage for years, though I think they may sometimes use newer technology which doesn't need the plane.
licketysplit
a year ago
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch golf. Maybe the airplane is to provide some kind of excitement.
shadowcat
a year ago
Not so sure if it’s still this way, but TV golf ads really used to be targeted towards a wealthy demographic Mutual fund and investment companies Expensive cars - Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes—Benz IBM Rolex perhaps a high end strip club targeting whales would be an interesting Ad
motorhead
a year ago
with rock music, movies, and many major sports there's a behind the groupie scene the general public is unaware of. i'm curious what the pool of golf groupies looks like. the u.s. open is one of the premier tournaments, so the groupie pool must look pretty top notch.
rattdog
a year ago
^ Funny you should say that, I've been to a number of PGA sanctioned tournaments, and a few of the televised events are generally scrubbed and sanitised because of the country club environment, my guess is if there are groupies they work in the sponsor booths or are hired for the private events, the lounges at the country clubs are generally limited to members and their guests. It's hard to know, and it isn't overt like most other sports.
twentyfive
a year ago
My cousin used to travel the country running concessions at the tournaments. The groupies are in the tents going after wealthy guys who are sponsors.
skibum609
a year ago
Judging from the hot wives and girlfriends I’ve seen of PGA golfers - I’d say only Indy car drivers do better I think some of the golfers stay in their luxury motor homes during tournaments - the groupies need to find out where they are parked and start knocking on doors
motorhead
a year ago
Not a huge golf fan but just wanted to shit up the thread with a hearty "fuck Saudi Arabia"
SanchoRG
a year ago
Golf has gotten too easy, and the PGA has instituted new hazards, chief of which is an orbiting A-10 which, at specified intervals, will strafe the course with its vicious autocannon.. Hence, the constant aircraft noise..⛳😆
ATACdawg
a year ago
Rickie Fowler’s wife is hot.
mark94
a year ago
I do have to give a shoutout to Wyndham Clark for winning. This was my best sports bet ever, in terms of odds (+8500 before the tournament began).
DandyDan
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion