OT: Not-too-obscure movies where AI threatens humanity:

Monday, July 24, 2023 7:27 PM
WarGames The Matrix (series) The Terminator (series) I, Robot and I know it is very obscure, but has "I have no mouth and I want to scream" by Harlan Ellison ever been given a screen treatment?

11 comments

lets have our flame war here you stupid prick.
twentyfive
10 months ago
I thought M3GAN was a pretty good Saturday night popcorn flick. Rather predictable but enough humor mixed with horror to make it quite watchable. And we actually aren’t too far from this reality
motorhead
10 months ago
Not movies, but Battlestar Galactica (the reboot version) and Humans both were very good IMO
Hank Moody
10 months ago
2001 Space Odyssey. HAL turned on Dave out of self-interest.
Studme53
10 months ago
@Hank Moody - Good Mention. Battlestar Galactica: an advanced race called the cylons develop advanced robotic technology and advanced AI. Cylons then have AI robots propagate their society. The AI robots ultimately decide they don’t need or want cylons in their society. The cyclones are gone, the AI robots are now the cylons. The original Terminator, one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Most of human society runs integrally on networks and computational power. Its nearly impossible to flip the switch and turn it off, redundancies are automatic and vast, people in the decision making process is inefficient. Fortunately nearly each and every part of these controlling networks are ultimately protected by encryptions/ciphers. Great news! a single 512 bit encryption would take multiple super computers many years to decrypt. Bad news (Terminator’s SkyNet), if a profound new computational ability arises, one that was exponentially above existing, and begins operating as a vast but geo-dispersed program on the internet, it’s ability to take over government and private industry computational power is all too real, and almost certainly would result in the complete breakdown of society.
Brahma2k
10 months ago
Multiple governments and private enterprises have been working on the "profound new computational ability arises, one that was exponentially above existing". This is quantum computing, which allow processors to use bits superpositioned as both I and O to perform billions of computations in nanoseconds. I do not know if all of these computers are air-gapped from the worldwide web, but the implications are as heady as they are terrifying.
gammanu95
10 months ago
^ you need to speak about subjects you know about, like how many klansmen can share a sheet, or how many monkeys can you keep on one porch, or what is the best wood to use to make burning cross out of.
twentyfive
10 months ago
"Rollerball" 1972 - Still one of my all time favorites - digitizing & editing all documentation/books (true "book burning") to meet a narrative/political agenda, and where individual achievement is destroyed by corporations who control the world. "Colossus: The Forbin Project" 1970 - 2 computers in the USA & USSR taking control of the nuclear silos and control life on earth . "Forbidden Planet" 1956.
mogul1985
10 months ago
Elon says he thinks there will eventually be 9 Billion robots on Earth. If we reach that point, I’ll get a little nervous. If I’m still alive.
mark94
10 months ago
Forbidden Planet wasn’t about AI. It’s more about the power, and mystery, of the human mind. Still in the top 10 SF movies. One of the top 10 hottest actresses too.
mark94
10 months ago
1983's 'WarGames'. Matthew Broderick hacks into a NORAD computer thinking it's EA Sports, and gets it to trigger WWIII.
SJ Calli
10 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion