Professional Athletes Living to be 100

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 9:31 PM
I saw today that former Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Lujack died today at the age of 98. He also had a short career with the Chicago Bears in the NFL. This segues into something I heard a few weeks - that no professional athlete has ever lived to be 100. A quick google search proves this untrue. However the list of NFL players is quite short. Maybe 5 or 6. And nearly the entire list of people who did make it to 100 are not recognizable to even hardcore fans. Makes a fat, out of shape guy wonder “what’s the point? If men and women who were once in peak physical condition don’t even live to be 100, what about the rest of us?” I guess it’s maybe all in the genes. And if you what to make the topic relevant to TUSCL, I’ve seen my share of dancers not make it to old age either - and they were once in pretty decent physical shape

6 comments

Longevity is a great thing, but only if you’re not incapacitated, as long as you can do things you enjoy and have people around you that care about you and your wellbeing life is great. I’ve great admiration for folks that live well as they age, and enjoy their life.
twentyfive
10 months ago
Fact is that except for a couple obscure places in the world there is a very small percentage of people that make it to a 100th birthday.
TheeOSU
10 months ago
I don't think I'm going to live to be 100. nor do I want to. I think getting just up to 80 as old enough. I mean who the heck wants to be an old person well over half their life?
Jascoi
10 months ago
Well, jascoi, we'll see how you feel about that when you hit 79.......😏😉
ATACdawg
10 months ago
Pro football players tend to not live a long time because of multiple head injuries from running into each other. Studies of places where people live a long time have found that regular low intensity exercise leads to a longer life. We weren't meant to sit all day in front of a computer or television. When I'm out taking three-mile hikes at state parks I seldom see any other gray haired 67-year-olds beside me. I spent my whole life never visiting a doctor or being in a hospital until I caught a disease at the age of 64 that had been created in a Chinese lab with funding from the U.S. government. I'd like to live to a hundred. The past dozen years have been the happiest years of my life. I make enough money to engage in all my favorite hobbies, including having pretty young women being friendly to me, talking to me and doing lap dances with me.
docsavage
10 months ago
My paternal grandfather died at 61. My dad was 59. And I'm almost 57. So if it's all in the genes I guess I'm fucked.
misterorange
10 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion