College Football Chaos

Tuesday, August 8, 2023 5:09 PM
Stuff is out of hand. It’s times like then when you ask, how the hell is Vandy in a power 5 conference and schools like Cal and Stanford potentially not have a home? One positive note Big 12 football is going to be exciting because there’s no solid front runner. Anyone know of any solid predictions? Rumors I’ve heard lately: Big 12 wants to add UConn and Gonzaga basketball only. Maybe even St Johns. Wazzu and Ore St may end up in Big 10 or Big 12? Cal and Stanford to ACC?

9 comments

The typical fan doesn’t care but the Big 10 is more than a football conference. But university presidents and professors do. It’s actually an academic alliance where research, knowledge and expertise is shared. Some less popular courses are cross listed amongst the schools. That was always a selling point the Big 10 used when they were trying to woo Notre Dame years ago. I can’t believe that highly regarded schools such as Stanford and Berkeley are going to be happy being relegated to a place like the Mountain West when they could be part of the Big 10 academic consortium.
motorhead
9 months ago
“Big 12 wants to add UConn and Gonzaga basketball only. Maybe even St Johns” — That’s my fear I don’t want to see happen. Now you’re gonna end up with schools in one conference for football and another for basketball. I know Gonzaga and St John’s don’t have football but it’s a slippery slope. Let’s say the SEC wants Clemson for football but not for basketball. That’s going to really be a mess.
motorhead
9 months ago
Now that money is involved there are no more college sports, just minor league teams playing on a college campus.
skibum609
9 months ago
For the AS schools it was a must. Everyone talks about the California schools and that’s why Colorado, Utah, Washington, Oregon, and Az school left. They want a piece of that pie, and when Saturday football comes on all we see on the networks are sec, big 10, big 12 and so on but no pac 12 games come on. If there are pac 12 it is a USC game. Fuck them, cause their media coverage sucks so go to a power conference that will at least televise you. It’s a just and righteous move on the part of these pac 12 schools to leave. The PAC 4 have a lot of recruiting to do, or they’re gone! It’s looking bleak for the conference of Champions, a league that’s been around for 100 years.
Mate27
9 months ago
^ similar to what I’ve been reading a lot lately, 3 conferences is too big and there needs to be 4. If you look at the history of the PAC in the last few years they’ve made some really stupid blunders and that’s why they’ll be out of business in a few weeks. Motörhead - you are absolutely correct the list of universities available to join the BIG10 under current criteria is small. Off the top of my head Kansas and K-State I believe are eligible. The rumor is down the road the BIG10 may allow universities with land grand rights admittance which opens up the fort to a lot more schools. Again only a rumor for now.
shailynn
9 months ago
Ultimately there will be as many conferences as there are TV networks, regardless of geography.
iknowbetter
9 months ago
Eventually the Big 10 and the SEC will end up as 20 team megaconferences with all the top drawing programs and the big money. The members of those two conferences will be the cool kids. Everybody else will be at the kiddie table.
crosscheck
9 months ago
Academically, Cal and Stanford would be a good fit for the ACC with Duke, UVA, Miami, UNC, GA Tech, Va Tech, Notre Dame*. But coast to coast travel for non- revenue sports wouldn’t be feasible.
iknowbetter
9 months ago
With NIL, the colleges with the strongest ( richest, most rabid ) alumni will be tier 1. In football, SEC is #1 and Big10 #2.and Big 12 #3. In basketball, Big 12 is #1. It’s all sorting itself out pretty logically.
mark94
9 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion