Hurricane Hilary

Saturday, August 19, 2023 12:11 PM
If any of my fellow mongers are in Tijuana this weekend stay safe. This storm is looking ugly! Please keep the rest of us updated...

21 comments

Looks like it may live up to its name .
etsutwigg222
9 months ago
The Tijuana river could overflow and spread raw sewage all over TJ and So cal.
shadowcat
9 months ago
Also concerned as well. The streets in Zona Norte don’t have good drainage and there are also plenty of potholes, so if the rain comes down fast as expected, street flooding is very likely.
OPIllini96
9 months ago
OT: What do a high wire trapeze artist, a high rise office building window washer, and a guy getting a blowjob from Hillary Clinton have in common ? A: They're all afraid to look down. Last I checked, Hillary expected to be downgraded to Tropical Storm (TS). Beware of trannies in TJ.
minnow
9 months ago
It'll be interesting to see how FEMA, state and local gov'ts handle the street/homeless people. FEMA is already deployed and ready to support The Peoples Republic of Kaliforna. Yeah, I know FEMA is there too to help when Florida and Texas get clobbered. I GET THAT TOO! OT: WH/FEMA blew-off Maui, "No comment", way too long while the Military sent another Billion-Dollar package to Ukraine. WH/FEMA is stumping Congress for money (re: tapaxpayers' wallets). How about less for foreign problems and more focus on America (and our borders/drug crisis) with our money. When a horrible event like a tsunami hits coastal countries we roll in a USS Carrier and use its nuclear reactor to provide electricity and medical help. Meanwhile Maui should have had a WAY better federal response. Even local "officials" had a horrible, incompetent response.
mogul1985
9 months ago
Bracing ourselves for tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's just a big rain storm. Mostly worried about flash flooding.
JamesSD
9 months ago
Pretty amazing timing. I had planned about a month ago to arrive Monday noon and stay until Wednesday at Cascadas. Was getting ready for the trip and got a warning from airline of weather so had to cancel room and flight. Feels like someone is telling me not to go down there for a while...lol
justinyoo
9 months ago
I'm guessing they are cancelling Monday flights because they know there will be backlog from today. It's gonna hit San Diego in about two hours. We will see how it goes
JamesSD
9 months ago
I’m hearing that in the middle of this. Tropical storm they are dealing with a 5.1 magnitude earthquake, when it rains it pours. This is going to be rough.
twentyfive
9 months ago
It is now just a Tropical Storm Now, so it shouldn’t have a major impact on the Happiest Place on Earth. “I'm going to show you kids the time of your life. Get ready for two weeks at the happiest place on Earth... Tijuana!” ~ Krusty the Clown ~ The Simpsons Season 4 “Kamp Krusty” https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SzOUvB1WSg Just be a careful out there like any other time an bring a good raincoat 🌦️ and a rain hat 🌦️and a umbrella ☔️ and remember: Pics and Vids or it didn’t happen. :D
CJKent_band
9 months ago
At least so far, this storm has been like it's political namesake, Overblown. SD has had less than an inch of rain and I haven't seen any high winds yet. I think the center of the storm has passed to the north but will be residual rain to come. We've had stronger winter storms than this in the past year or two.
mike710
9 months ago
Yeah it turned out to not really be much in San Diego. Decent sized rain storm you didn't want to be driving in the middle of but otherwise not a big deal
JamesSD
9 months ago
The sky is falling. The sky is falling...
Jascoi
9 months ago
The rare west coast hurricane
Muddy
9 months ago
84 years was the last SoCal tropical storm just looked it up. 1939.
Muddy
9 months ago
I’m seeing conflicting things maybe the last tropical storm was in ‘97. Well either way it’s been awhile. Last hurricane was in 1858 with the San Diego hurricane. At that point there probably weren’t even too many folks there yet at that time.
Muddy
9 months ago
From the Instagram page of the Happiest Place on Earth yesterday Sunday August 20, 2023: “Escape the rain, today, with a WILD #SundayFunday, at @HongkongGC Our bars are prepped, the big-screens are fired up for #NFLSunday, and Tijuana's most legendary weekend party is ON! Once you cross The PedEast border, our FREE Zona Shuttle will be standing by, to keep you dry!” ~ Hong Kong Gentlemen Club Just be careful out there like you would be at any place in the world where “adult businesses” take place. :D
CJKent_band
9 months ago
Suggestion for a fundraiser for the recovery effort: Tshirt sale. I got blown by Hillary in 2023. Sell at biden campaign events. Oh wait. Thats where the plan falls apart.
Lanechange
9 months ago
I'm sure there was some minor flooding here and there and extra water running down the Tijuana River. a friend told me that the power did go out for about 3 minutes and Hong Kong did not flood. I'm at the family cabin up in the mountains where we got 10 inches in rain. but still not a major event here in crestline. and today weather was beautiful with scattered clouds. I drove to Lake Arrowhead to pick up some grocery items and I think the worst I saw was some rocks on the road and some mud on the road sides. the vast majority of the roads and streets up here in this area are over 100 years old. narrow and twisty and up and down. but I had no problems driving my bad ass prius.
Jascoi
9 months ago
Lanechange, that is a great idea! Actually, it will probably go over well at Biden and Rump events for different reasons.
PutaTester
9 months ago
TJ is a real treat during ANY rainstorm...can't imagine the mess caused by a hurricane.
funonthaside
9 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion