Trump for Speaker?

Wednesday, October 4, 2023 7:08 AM
Would the left explode if the right were to install Donald Trump as Speaker of the House?

129 comments

Sure. But it would also be a giant bow-wrapped gift from the Republicans to the Democrats. Also, it'll never happen.
Call.Me.Ishmael
7 months ago
I personally would like to see Jim Jordan or Byron Donalds step in there. I’ve been really impressed with both dudes in recent years.
Muddy
7 months ago
Turning your base up too high, blows out your speaker.
twentyfive
7 months ago
There is a speaker. Let him stay.
skibum609
7 months ago
Gaetz is a ranting jackass who gave the democrat house caucus a big fucking gift. McCarthy did a decent job in a really tough position. He did not do a stellar job, but their narrow majority in only the House prevented him from doing much better. The House Republicans should have completely turned over leadership after performing as poorly as they did in the last election. I think a change in leadership is needed, but the timing is fucking awful. Trump for speaker? Too toxic and polarizing. They need someone who can take firm stance without a surplus of divisive rhetoric. Not to mention, he would have no time for chairing the House as he is always out campaigning or in court.
gammanu95
7 months ago
Seems like, if that were going to happen, it would have already happened. I think Trump gets it that a big slice of Republicans support him only as a necessary evil. He doesn't think he can totally piss them off, at least not yet. Becoming Speaker would totally piss them off.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
I think the post was meant in jest, but all the responses were serious so… Republicans making history by being the first party to ever remove their own speaker because he saved us from shutting down the government and the first thought is “we should put in Trump and pwn the libs!” They’ve forgotten that voters are watching this shit show. We are not impressed.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
If they do, how long do you think it would take for them to try to impeach (or otherwise remove from office) both Biden and Harris since Trump would be next in line for the oval office?
whodey
7 months ago
Hank Moody is a dyed-in-the-wool lib, so the Republican does not need to give a fuck what he thinks. whodey just made the mic-drop argument for choosing Trump for Speaker of the House. I am 100% all-in.
gammanu95
7 months ago
I have politics fatigue but will comment that they need to find someone to do the job whose only interest is for genuine good for the people. and do not bring in someone looking for personal gain like Matt Pedophile Gaetz. The real reason he’s ousting the speaker is because he wants to run for governor of Florida and wants publicity. What a pedo!
Mate27
7 months ago
@gamma As usual, your anger blinded you to the fact that I was agreeing with you that Gaetz bad and Trump bad. I also agree McCarthy did what he had to do to keep the govt running. You’d rather engage in masturbatory arguing with yourself than actually read or consider anyone else’s opinion. And I’ve been a registered republican since I was 18. But you know that.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
I would explode in my pants at Trump as Speaker. It would be a glorious train wreck. Speaker is a hard job where everyone argued with you all the time. It's like the opposite of Trump's style.
JamesSD
7 months ago
@hank I read you like an open book. 25IQ has tried claiming a Republican registration as well. I never said you weren't a Republican, I said you are a dyed-in-the-wool lib like Cheney, Romney, Bush, Kinzinger, or McCain. I will revise my earlier comment to read that true, principled Republicans need not give a fuck what you think.
gammanu95
7 months ago
Whatever man. I was agreeing with you and you don’t give a fuck what I think? Clearly you’re more focused on doling out insults than anything else. You do you.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
^Always trying to pick a fight, the hallmark of a loser troll. It drives him crazy when you ignore him.
twentyfive
7 months ago
Anyone who supports Trump and yet thinks they are a principled republican is so totally fucked up we need new words to describe how fucked up they are. Trump has literally no Republican beliefs. Republicans are free marketers protectionist tariff assholes like Trump. Republicans are patriots who do not lick Putin's ass or call scumbag North Korean dictators peers. Hank is a fraud playing both sides against the middle and trying impotently to troll. Pray to God that Trump has a massive coronary in the next 8 months.
skibum609
7 months ago
Why is 25IQ calling Hank a loser troll when they have so much in common?
gammanu95
7 months ago
^ clown boy you’re the loser trying to pick fights SMH
twentyfive
7 months ago
Lol. I still own him.
gammanu95
7 months ago
^ sad little child
twentyfive
7 months ago
2bits, always ready to engage in a piss fight.
Mate27
7 months ago
^ Yawn, another boring fool
twentyfive
7 months ago
Looks like congress.......
skibum609
7 months ago
Hi all, I personally don't care either/or about Trump or who becomes speaker of the House, but I am interested about whether or not it's possible. I don't think there's anything in the constitution that speaker has to be from someone from the lower chamber, and if Trump does get picked, it would be the first time in history. However, that is not what seems to be getting in the way. Apparently, there's Rule 26 that has been trending that a "member of Republican Leadership has to step aside if indicted for a felony for which a sentence of two or more years imprisonment may imposed." But who knows, maybe they will change the rules again. Here's a fun read if you are all interested. https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4238156-why-rule-26-is-trending-trump-speaker/
tuskular
7 months ago
The problem with Rule 26 and Trump is that every sane, honest person and unbiased legal experts agree that all of these charges against Trump -federal and state- are pure bullshit and political persecution. They are designed to prevent him from winning office again, not to deliver justice. With that said, when rules are abused to achieve dishonest, partisan objectives, shouldn't they be set aside to avoid a miscarriage of justice?
gammanu95
7 months ago
Well, I don't know much about the charges, but you say is true, wouldn't the best course of action be then to get rid of Rule 26? That would be the best course of action rather than just putting things aside which would upset a lot of people who believe in upholding the law.
tuskular
7 months ago
Trump for Prison would be more like it. The federal charges are sound and serious. It would be the appropriate outcome for Trump to join those whose lives have been ruined by their association with and support of him. Trump’s 2020 crusade has led to 700 years in prison sentences https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/09/06/trumps-2020-crusade-has-led-700-years-prison-sentences/
wld4tatas
7 months ago
25 does not even realize it is BASS AND NOT base as in baseball
rawhide
7 months ago
The only thing one should be concerned with today is the downstream impact of the elevated rhetoric. I have spent a few years each in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and you cannot imagine the challenges that you encounter in conducting any business with the government - no one is interested in following process or in the progress of the country. Each government employee and private citizen is chipping away at the country’s wealth (economic, infrastructure, climate, you name it) with their own personal benefit as the only desired outcome. I have started seeing the same in the US - bribes were non-existent at the consumer level as recently as 5-7 years ago. I recently found out that building plans were being approved by a local govt for a price. Do you want to hear about the next bridge or building collapse in the US instead of some 3rd world country?
tuscl666
7 months ago
Gee Rawhide are you a member of the bass ?
twentyfive
7 months ago
I may hate Trump but the scumbag Merrick Garland should be charged, tried and executed. Listening to Democrats, who elect, worship and are all thieves and thugs, say things like "uphold the law" is nauseating. Wow, America is becoming a failed third world country? How could that have happened since we are allowing illegals and other scum to flood across open borders.......
skibum609
7 months ago
@tuskular: How do you change or delete a rule which has any indicted politician step aside without the worst optics imaginable? As I wrote before, the rule is being abused by immoral, corrupt, and abhorrent malicious actors, but those same actors will then amplify and distort the change in the rules to make it look worse than it is. I think it is better to just ignore it, and explain the abuse and misapplication as the reason for it to be ignored. Understand, even though Trump had the best results of any president in decades, I do not want another four or more years of his personality and the liberals' amplified toxic rhetoric. I also worry whether we could find enough talented people to serve in his administration while being attacked and vilified by the leftists. However, Biden has been damaging enough to the country that removing him and Harris from the executive roles, and using rules of succession to replace them with a POTUS with a demonstrated record of successes would be the best thing for the nation. And it would make the left explode. Totally worth it.
gammanu95
7 months ago
Trump won't be Speaker Trump. He will be Prisoner Trump.
jackslash
7 months ago
None of the criminal charges against Trump are slam dunks.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
The documents case is as close to a slam dunk as there is. Only risk is a FL jury ignoring the facts and law.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Americans have had to put up with Bronx juries for so long it's become an actual phrase, so hopefully Florida follows suit, and the jury tells the feds to fuck off.
skibum609
7 months ago
Why the hell not. Trump is what the republicans have become, he’s certainly the avatar of the party for the moment. It’s what a lot of gop want and will give the dems something to hate. He certainly is good at talking. It’s not like the congress gets much of use done…. They barely pass a budget and its an act of heroics when they do.
drewcareypnw
7 months ago
Trump was asked directly about becoming Speaker, and his response was, "I'm focused on becoming President".
funonthaside
7 months ago
The dems voted to oust McCarthy. Rewarding their avarice with Speaker Trump would be more than just desserts.
gammanu95
7 months ago
I thought Matt Gaetz was the one who proposed to have McCarthy out?
tuskular
7 months ago
God, again, please make Speaker Trump happen. It would be like my birthday and Christmas rolled into one Actually don't. I might die from excitement. I wish speaker was subject to open floor debates and not backroom deals. The odds of Speaker Trump committing a crime while speaker is at least 10 percent.
JamesSD
7 months ago
The republicans have a house majority. It’s truly ignorant to say the dems voted McCarthy out.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
^ Afraid not. I havent been paying much attention to this but just happened to pop in here and see your comment. From the little I know about this I heard 8 Rs voted with all the Ds so it's ignorant to act like the dems had nothing to do with it. They were the vast majority of the votes.
TheeOSU
7 months ago
Just some thoughts. Gaetz wanted McCarthy out because McCarthy compromised with the opposition to keep the gov open but gaetz voted with the opposition against his own party. Gaetz fucked his own party because of his spite for McCarthy. yes gaetz started the process but what he did will hurt the Rs in the long run while it helps the Ds. Gaetz is a fucking fool!
TheeOSU
7 months ago
A lot of people who use to like AOC now say she's a traitor. They think she should have done to Pelosi what Gaetz did to McCarthy. The poop is that all the Democrats feel like McCarthy welched on his deal with Biden. Otherwise, maybe a lot of them would abstain to keep him in charge.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
I mean let's be real, the Democrats benefit from the Republicans looking disorganized and infighting. But given the choice the Democrats would prefer a different speaker. Like a Democrat. The Republicans are free to pick a speaker. The Democrats can't stop them. They don't have enough votes.
JamesSD
7 months ago
@theosu You don’t understand basic math.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Really now? I'd ask you to explain how that is but make believe fuzzy math can't be explained. So here's the basic fact... Eight House Republicans and 208 House Democrats voted Tuesday to oust House Speaker Kevin McCarthy — the first time in U.S. history a House speaker has been removed in a no-confidence vote. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-vote-mccarthy-speaker-roll-call-oust-democrats-republicans/ Is that basic enough for you to understand?
TheeOSU
7 months ago
That’s not the correct equation. You’re being intentionally obtuse and you know it. 210 mainstream republicans > 208 democrats > 8 of Gaetz’s idiots. If McCarthy and the mainstream republicans wanted to keep the speakership they had to bargain with either the democrats or Gaetz. They’ve known this since it took 15 votes to elect a speaker and they had to concede the single representative vacancy motion to get McCarthy elected. They’ve known it since they needed dem votes to raise the debt limit and were reminded again when they needed dem votes to avert the govt shutdown. McCarthy chose to bargain with neither. The Republican Party is broken. The break will be on full display during the next speaker elections and when the next shutdown looms on Nov 15. Blaming the minority party for not saving the majority party from themselves is ignorant, naive or willfully failing to take responsibility for your own party’s failure. I’m a republican and my party is broken. Which are you?
Hank Moody
7 months ago
The idea that the 8 assholes who caused this are any worse than the left in the Democratic party, which represents 100% of everything wrong in this land is fucking retarded. Left wing Democrats may be citizens, but they are not Americans in any way, shape and form. They wanted chaos and helped create it. McCarthy is gone, it's on 8 assholes and 208 Democrats. Hopefully Ukraine never gets another cent and the government doesn't pass a budget for 3 months. No raise to the debt limit again ... never. Burn it down and let the poor suffer. Once the money is shot, the garbage flow of illegals will end. I will take a broken Republican party of the party of misfit toys. Kind of funny that anyone in favor of free speech, free thought and freedom of association would describe a difference of opinion as a failure. Young people: your life is over.
skibum609
7 months ago
'That’s not the correct equation.' It's exactly what happened, the equation that produced the end result, period. It is what it is. You can talk about different circumstances of what could or might have happened but the bottom line is that none of it did. Now we obviously see things differently, I fail to see how us going back and forth on this will change the other's view and the end result isn't going to change. I have work to do, I don't have the luxury of waiting for another response so I can respond again ad infinitum, ok bye.
TheeOSU
7 months ago
File this under “something I learned today” I’ve vaguely followed this thread but I’m not nearly up to date with current politics as many of you. But I kept wondering how can Trump be Speaker? Today I learned “a speaker of the House need not be a member of Congress” Hmmm…interesting obscure fact just like Competitive Art used to be an Olympic sport up until 1948
motorhead
7 months ago
What we call parties are coalitions of parties in other democracies. Very common, in other democracies, that a large party needs a fringe party (like the :"freedom" caucus) to form a working majority. A big difference with our system, is there's no way to have early elections, to try to get a working majority. The real problem, that began in the 1970s, is that people can't think that their kids will probably be better off economically than they are. No one has a solid plan for fixing this.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
President 91 Felonies is endorsing Gym Jordan for speaker. This’ll be fun.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Hank Moody's illogical math proves he's the same kind of lib who deficit spends, prints quantitative easing, ignores true unemployment figures, thinks illegal immigration numbers are improving, and can't balance the budget. 100% of the dems voted McCarthy out for the purpose of creating chaos. 96.4% of the GOP voted to keep the Speaker. There's your math, the dems own this, the dems are the party of obstruction and chaos.
gammanu95
7 months ago
Every time there has been a Speaker vote, the default position of the minority party has been to vote en masse against that person. This has been true for both parties for quite some time. It's a small group of Republicans (Freedom Caucus) who are leveraging their own party's razor-thin majority against their own party. It's the Freedom Caucus who insisted that a one-vote procedural "Sword of Damocles" be hung over any Republican Speaker's head. It's McCarthy who agreed to take the job with this one-vote Motion to Vacate in place while also knowing that he and Gaetz hate each other. It's also McCarthy who could have approached the Democrats with an offer to get several of them to abstain and save his Speakership, but he didn't. It's 200 or so Republicans who can't or won't take any action against eight Republicans who have essentially taken their own party hostage via their slim majority. It's not a good look. Meanwhile, the Democrats are doing exactly what the Republicans would do in a similar situation (which I don't think is great for the US regardless of the party doing it). But, in this instance, it's the Republicans who are joyfully eating their own young and doing it pretty publicly.
Call.Me.Ishmael
7 months ago
Interesting to me that there are so many conservatives on this platform. Let me just say this, Republicans have spent the last few decades promoting dehumanizing rhetoric towards Democrats, so much so that's it's become a de facto policy. McCarthy only worked with Dems to pass the temporary budget because he felt it would look worse to shut down the government altogether, otherwise he's been nothing but antagonistic. If he'd wanted to keep his position, he should have been trying to actually govern and at tried to work with his opposition before it came to this point. This shit show is all on the Republicans, any deflection of blame is misguided.
galabad
7 months ago
I’m hearing that McCarthy is resigning from congress, just more proof that he was only out for himself not about doing a job for the American people.
twentyfive
7 months ago
"Interesting to me that there are so many conservatives on this platform." Why? This country had been nearly 50-50 partisan split for years. "Let me just say this, Republicans have spent the last few decades promoting dehumanizing rhetoric towards Democrats, so much so that's it's become a de facto policy." Not nearly as maliciously as the democrats. Deplorables? Smelly wal-mart shoppers? ACAB? Calling all Republicans racists/nazis/fascists? Harassing and assaulting Republican politicians in public? Refusing to serve the Press Secretary and her family in a restaurant? Schumer threatening Kavanaugh and Gorsuch on the steps of the Supreme Court? Virtually anything and everything uttered by Maxine Walters? Note that I'm not even bringing up the contentiously improvable rape and assault claims against Kavanaugh. The fake Steele Dossier and made up oppo research used to attack Trump and obtain secret wiretapping warranta would fall under that same topic, but that leads to the Deep State rabbit hole. "McCarthy only worked with Dems to pass the temporary budget because he felt it would look worse to shut down the government altogether," Are you angry the government didn't shut down? At least he tried to work across the aisle, which Pelosi, Reid, and Schumer never did. " otherwise he's been nothing but antagonistic. If he'd wanted to keep his position, he should have been trying to actually govern and at tried to work with his opposition before it came to this point." Do you think anyone in either party or an independent would have had any more luck with slim majority in that house, and a Senate and White House controlled by the other party? Obviously, no. " This shit show is all on the Republicans, any deflection of blame is misguided." I have demolished the arguments you used to reach this conclusion. Also, again, 100% of the democrat party voted in favor on this "shit show", 96.4% of Republicans voted against it. Facts. 0 0
gammanu95
7 months ago
Do you ever get tired of being wrong? https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kevin-mccarthy-denies-report-considering-resigning-from-congress-after-being-ousted-as-house-speaker https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kevin-mccarthy-denies-reports-that-hes-resigning-from-congress/ar-AA1hOfn4 Do you have the guts and class to retract your attack against McCarthy? Of course not. You're a child, a narcissist, and a troll. You do not have the self-awareness, shame, or humility to recognize your utter failure as a human being or member of society.
gammanu95
7 months ago
I don’t waste my time debating 12 year olds, go have your tantrum and then go to bed
twentyfive
7 months ago
But you do, 25iq, you do and you always lose. I own you and I run your retirement. You are such a loser.
gammanu95
7 months ago
Well, whatever happens I hope we can all come to some sort of compromise that would benefit all Americans for a better future. I hope all the politicians can be sensible and know that real lives are at stake. It's depressing to see how many Americans are angry at each other and can fly off the handle. I kinda miss the days when the few months right after 9/11 everyone in my town was extremely cordial and went out of their way to help out one another (I lived in a very diverse town where our parents went to NYC to work). And it was very much "we are all in this together" sorta moment. I kinda wish we have that mentally again.
tuskular
7 months ago
^that rules out democrat party politicians. They are only interested in what benefits the democrat party, and all their little subgroups only care what benefits their identity (gay, trans, black, progressive, et al)
gammanu95
7 months ago
@tuskular Seems like there’s a lot of anger in here amazing to have such animus towards someone you’ve never met But that seems to be how these trolls roll around here
twentyfive
7 months ago
^who would know better than you- the most useless troll on here!
gammanu95
7 months ago
gamma - It's interesting that there are so many conservatives here because typically that side says it promotes "family values" and this thing we're all originally here for does not really jibe with that principle. And I'm not judging any individual for whatever they are doing here, we all have our reasons, but I can also acknowledge that it's interesting on some level and that statement wasn't as partisan as you interpreted it. Also, you haven't demolished any of my arguments, you've only offered your opinions steeped in the continuous misrepresentation of the liberal side in conservative media. For instance, when Democrats were in a stronger position, they absolutely did try to reach across the aisle to get legislation passed, offering compromise mostly to be outright rejected. Surely there are many core differences between each side's goals and how to reach them, but Dems still try to reach deals with Rs and there isn't some stigma on the Left for trying to do that. In contrast Gaetz's issue with McCarthy, in this instance, wasn't that he was ineffective, but only that he actually worked with the Dems on the temporary budget increase. He has stated that plainly. He's not even interested in what is best for the American people, i.e. compromise and good governance, he is only interested in party purity. He may be on the extreme edge of that, but a good amount of that exists on the Right currently. That blind party loyalty is projected on to the Dems, but it doesn't actually exist. The Left is a mess because there are so many individual issues people back and the party is really secondary. You missed my point too about the budget measure. I didn't want the government to shut down, that wasn't what I was saying at all. I was saying that it seems like that's the only time McCarthy was willing to acknowledge that he had to work with Dems. If he were serious about actually doing his job, he would try to do that more, but he has not given any indication that he is willing to do that. He only just this once, begrudgingly, worked with Dems and made fun of them the rest of the time. Rs let McCarthy go because he wasn't pure enough, Dems let him go because he wasn't good for the country. The hope is that the next speaker will see what happened to McCarthy and so make more motions to listen to Dems to make his position more secure. It's a risky move, but it's a weird time. I had more, but I have other things to do today. Maybe I'll be back later.
galabad
7 months ago
It's help a lot to understand currently US politics if you look back at the big recession at the beginning of the 1980s. People lost middle class jobs, and blamed Jimmy Carter. They eventually got a new, but much lower paying job. But they were grateful for it, and gave the credit to Reagan. Thus, Reagan got love from employers (lower labor costs) as well as workers. There's a big segment of Republican politicians who dream of repeating that scenario. They see it as a way to take down Social Security and Medicare. For politicians, hard compromises are a last resort, to avoid a crisis. So, if having a crisis is part of a politician's political strategy, they've got zero motivation for hard compromise.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
Gym Jordan 0-2 and a net loss of -1 on the second vote. Do they keep doing this or try something else? I have no idea what the something else would be. We’ve got aid to Ukraine and Israel to fund, a border crisis to attend and a government shutdown looming in a month. Tick tock.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Jimmy Carter was blamed for high inflation (his fault), a fucked up foreign policy (his fault) weakness causing oil supply problems (his fault), a terrible economy (his fault), very high unemployment (his fault). Reagan brought pride in America, great paying jobs and world power. The best times in America, killed subsequently by the democrats and their illegal immigrant hordes. Kind of funny that in order to pass a budget and keep their hold on power democrats can work with Republicans, but when it comes time to do the same thing with a speaker, they do nothing but showboat and whine. Without a speaker there will be a shutdown and then nobody in this country will have any power. Never thought I would see this country crumble and fail during my lifetime, but hey that has been the democrats' plan for 20 years and odds say they'd eventually succeed at something
skibum609
7 months ago
Jordan's plan is to play chicken, and not back down. Whether he shuts down the House or the whole Federal Government, probably all the same to him.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
A tactic much more suited to the minority party. Republicans are (at least nominally) in a position of strength and need to lead. That seems to be lost on some of them.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
The first thing that comes to mind, is these pseudo Republicans are afraid to govern, these people are just a bunch of hypocrites, they’re afraid they might actually have to do some of the work they’re taking a salary for not performing. These lazy shitbags should all be prosecuted for dereliction of duty
twentyfive
7 months ago
It's divided government between the two parties. Our system isn't set up for that. Karl Marx and the Founding Fathers made the same mistake. Thinking, once the revolution is over, everything will be great, and everyone will be more or less on the same page. I think it all boils down to the fact that Trump is facing a high chance of going to jail. He's got no incentive to hold the system together when it's going to put him in jail.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
^ this isn’t divided government this is literally not governing intentionally
twentyfive
7 months ago
We’ve had a divided government many times before. Without looking it up, I’d guess it’s way more common than having one party hold the presidency and both houses of congress. We’ve always managed to keep the lights on and they’ll figure it out, but this is a lot of unnecessary bullshit due to republican infighting.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
If we had a competent President this wouldn't happen. Reagan worked well with congress. No Democrat since Clinton has. Democrats could have helped elect a speaker, but chose not to.
skibum609
7 months ago
I missed your shitbag comment 25. You seem intent on making Gam seem right. You sir and others like you are the problem.
skibum609
7 months ago
^ Really this is anarchy not governance, fund the fucking government, let these lazy legislators stop the hostage taking, and pay the fucking bills, if they don’t want to sit down and do the work let someone else get it done, they dumped McCarthy two weeks ago, they are getting paid, yet they’ve done nothing at all except travel back and forth between their home districts on our dime and done nothing since then. Tell me exactly what is a shitbag comment, and for the record gamanu hasn’t ever been right.
twentyfive
7 months ago
Maybe you should read what you post because you posted the shitbag, not I.
skibum609
7 months ago
So last year (2022) there were 112 working days in the session, these greedy bloviating fuckers each earned a minimum of $174,000. Salary plus all sorts of perks and expense reimbursements, and it came out of our tax dollars, yet you think that’s not a real problem. Fuck the president and the rest of these greedy scumbags, these motherfuckers just don’t want to do their job, that’s the problem, nobody here is doing anything better, but they put themselves front and center by firing McCarthy for the first act of governance that he committed, paying the salaries of the people who actually work in this country.
twentyfive
7 months ago
'Reagan worked well with congress. No Democrat since Clinton has.' Ski, Clinton worked with the opposition because he had no choice. Gingrich wrote up the 'Contract With America'. IClinton was against it but fighting it would make him look bad so he went with it then claimed credit for everything. He wasn't called slick willy for nothing, he lived and breathed that moniker.
TheeOSU
7 months ago
Divided government has caused government shutdowns before. Whatever you want to say about McCarthy, he risked (and lost) his position as speaker so it wouldn't go that far.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
I was in a hurry and going by memory when i posted above. To clarify, clinton fought the 'CWA' but claimed credit for what he couldn't veto or change.
TheeOSU
7 months ago
Jordan is reportedly backing speaker pro tempore Patrick McHenry to hold more power through January to deal with the wars and budget. It is not clear that even this measure will pass as several republicans see it as a cop out that insults voters. You can’t make this shit up. Lead, follow or get the fuck out of the way so the country can do its business.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
That didn’t last long. Back to Gym Jordan trying to bully votes. Sorry Patrick.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Jordan 0-3. Newsworthy about this vote is that he lost three votes and didn’t convince any others to come over to his side after the second vote. I’d say that’s the end of his candidacy but who knows.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
I'd really like to see a viable candidate brought in from outside of the current members of Congress. Unfortunately, they think they are owed and entitled to keeping that position amongst their members.
gammanu95
7 months ago
This whole circus is awesome
JamesSD
7 months ago
He lost the secret ballot on whether he should be speaker nominee as well, he’s a bully and got his comeuppance, shows where the GOP doesn’t have the guts to take on the MAGA group head on. Bunch of pussies, they need to grow a pair and get rid of the last remnants of the Trump losers. Amazing how 8 arrogant entitled fuckheads can shut down your entire government.
twentyfive
7 months ago
25IQ is a bully who gets his comeuppance from me daily. He doesn't have the guts to face his own stupidity and impotence head on. He's a pussy, he needs to grow a pair leave this board from his demented, childish, rants. Amazing how an arrogant entitled fucked thinks that he matters to this board..
gammanu95
7 months ago
^ sounds like you’ve got issues
twentyfive
7 months ago
I'm just here to call out your bullshit. The best way to fight disinformation and lies are with facts and truths.
gammanu95
7 months ago
^ Seek help maybe they can give you some medication that’ll calm your nerves
twentyfive
7 months ago
3 weeks without a speaker and no clear plan. Republican Party needs to unify itself, but around whom? Who can lead this band of idiots? They might’ve had a chance if Jordan supported Scalise instead of undermining his candidacy. Jackass.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
If the democrats cared about this country at all, instead of their obsession with causing it to fail they would work with the Republicans. Shut down the government, it won't be the wealthy suffering.
skibum609
7 months ago
Both parties have colluded to make the post of Speaker too powerful. Speakers stop bills from coming to a vote, so members can avoid taking clear stands, and talk out of both sides of their mouth. Pelosi did this as much as any Republican Speaker. We would not be seeing ugly fights about who should be Speaker, if the position only had reasonable powers. Similar problems in the Senate, but with both party leaders.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
Shut down the government until welfare leeches like 25IQ die off. The rest of us are tired of carrying water for him and the other losers.
gammanu95
7 months ago
^ What do you think it means that Jim Jordan had over a hundred votes against him on the secret ballot? Of course you’ll just continue to act like a jerk and deny reality.
twentyfive
7 months ago
^Reality is that your a cancerous malignancy on this board . You lie constantly, you have no knowledge of facts, you're a bitter, outcast, old dick who is in denial of his own sum-zero life. Deny it, but you know that I am always right.
gammanu95
7 months ago
You two need your own forum.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Why do I need a forum, if that 12 year old wasn’t so obsessed I’d never bother with him, just look at every thread, I never initiate contact with that little child How about you be honest @HM and stop trying to be such a roll over for these online trolls There’s no equivalency, stop pretending that I’ve done anything to cause this and attribute his mental deficiencies to his lack of intelligence
twentyfive
7 months ago
^He lies so much he believes himself. Look at the facts, things were calm until his narcissism took over and he wanted to make everything about himself. He's right about there being no equivalency. He is wrong - either more lies or sheer ignorance- on virtually everything. It is important that he be called out on his bullshit and the facts and truth brought to light. All I do is call bullshit and post the truth. People asked us to stop so I publicly offered an olive branch. He refused and here we are. He attacks anyone who he disagrees with, like Hank just now, and anything he dislikes is labelled racism and hate speech. He is the embodiment of the worst of this board.
gammanu95
7 months ago
^ you’re an obsessive psychopath who needs help Get some.
twentyfive
7 months ago
@25 If you guys are debating on topic and want to insult each other, fine. I just get bored reading your back and forth name calling with no substantive contribution to the thread. I say that with full understanding that this is a flame room on a titty board. You guys can’t even crest that low bar. I’m not rolling over. I just don’t give a shit and wanted to let you know how it looks to others.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
^ I never start any interactions with that troll again I try to stay on topic, but it seems that any time I comment on any thread the troll is right back in my face, I went 3 months without responding to his attempts to bully me and until a few others responded to him he just gets worse and worse. I since you seem to have such a strong opinion about this what do you suggest I do? And if it doesn’t work how will you fix this?
twentyfive
7 months ago
It’s not up to me. I’m just posting feedback about how it looks. I ignore insults and occasionally I’ll use the IGNORE button. If you can’t or won’t do that, I guess we all get treated to the tedium.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
^ So basically you just decided to dish out some shit under the guise of being noble and having everyone’s best interests at heart Got it
twentyfive
7 months ago
No, he is asking that we stow our beef and be more considerate of the whole board. Not everyone who disagrees with you is attacking you. Quit acting like a 12 year old girl being told "no" for the first time.
gammanu95
7 months ago
So is Trump speaker yet?
JamesSD
7 months ago
I LOL'ed
gammanu95
7 months ago
founder needs to run some AI that will screen out complaints about people I have on ignore.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
The latest republican nominee for speaker, Tom Emmer, has dropped his bid without a vote. There were a couple dozen objectors including the former Tweeter in Chief who objected while sitting as a defendant in a NY courtroom where the court has decided to revoke his licenses to do business in NY. Emmer had voted for a peaceful transfer of power in 2020 and that is apparently a disqualifying factor for a speaker of the house. If you pitched this as an episode of West Wing or even House of Cards, nobody would believe you.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
^ Trump Derangement Syndrome. Everything is Trump's fault.
gammanu95
7 months ago
How old are you Hank? Gridlock in Congress is nothing new. We've had government shutdowns before. The reason the Republicans are divided this time is, the voters have a history of blaming the Republicans for shutdowns.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
“Gridlock is nothing new” WTF are you talking about? For the FIRST time in history it took 15 votes to elect a speaker. For the FIRST time in history the majority party moved to vacate its own speaker. This isn’t ordinary.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
It’s his fault that he cratered the vote for Emmer? Uh, yes.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
@Hank - not even Joe Biden believes that Trump is the leader of the Republican party. He just says that to trigger the useful idiots following the democrat party line. You still believe that he is a comic book villain, a Mr. Big, pulling all the strings behind the scenes. It is simply not so.
gammanu95
7 months ago
What about Mike Pence? He has no chance of winning the nomination. He's an honest man. He's principled. He has the experience and politicl savvy to make the office work. He's no fan of Donald Trump, but close enough that Trump diehards cannot oppose him. Hell, Trump diehards should be happy if Pence ends his candidacy to become Speaker.
gammanu95
7 months ago
You might be the only MAGA who’d vote for him for speaker. “Hang Mike Pence.”
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Since several of Trump's lawyers have now been criminal and civil defendants, the new backronym for MAGA is Making Attorneys Get Attorneys.
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
@Hank you're not making a proper counter-argument. If I say ¨ice cream is nothing new", you can't counter it by saying "but it's carrot-flavored ice cream".
ilbbaicnl
7 months ago
@Hank: amazing. Every single word of your last post was wrong.
gammanu95
7 months ago
Smoke above the Vatican! We have a new speaker. That was easy.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Congratulations, Mr. Speaker. Does that close this thread?
gammanu95
7 months ago
👍🏼
Hank Moody
7 months ago
Although I’ll put on my best gamma impersonation and criticize the media for railing about Johnson being an election denier. So was McCarthy. Fucking media hypocrites. Lol
Hank Moody
7 months ago
^I'm loving watching Hank and the other libs get triggered. Go hide in your safe space, little snowflake. Good times. PS don't quit your day job
gammanu95
7 months ago
Trump is absolutely better than most democrats and republicans right now, even his comments on israel Palestine for the most part. Its also mostly confirmed that obama is better than biden. Im wondering if biden is even in his senses. Who exactly do they have controlling biden and directing him on what to say? Is he having an earpiece feed him stuff to say in his speeches
rickmacrodong
7 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion