Entitlement - It's Not Just for Strippers Anymore

Wednesday, October 11, 2023 8:50 PM
Olympic gymnast Mary Lou Retton is in ICU. Her daughter posted Instagram post asking for donations, specifically stating (a) she won't disclose details of her condition, and (b) she is not insured. Sure, honey.....happy to help. Your Mom was irresponsible (and even breaking the law) by not having health insurance.....fellow citizens will just send money to help.

16 comments

Not breaking the law. It's never been illegal to not have health insurance. not even at the start of ObamaCare. There was just a civil penalty for it that has long since been zeroed out. That's not to say that it might not have been irresponsible. People who are irresponsible still deserve sympathy though that doesn't necessarily mean they deserve financial support.
caseyx
7 months ago
To hell with a national hero right? If she shot a protestor I bet you would be the first to donate. Instead of pointing out how embarrassingly flawed our healthcare system is in the wealthiest nation on the planet, you choose to rip her apart. Nice.
BumHip
7 months ago
It’s reading things like this that reminds me how grateful I am that we have the NHS, free at point of use for everyone no matter what their condition is. That said, it’s nowhere near perfect.
londonguy
7 months ago
Woman gymnasts from the USA have mostly dominated the Olympic all-around Gold Medal this century, but for the younger folks, you may not realize that post WW II, the USSR and the Soviet bloc countries throughly kicked America’s ass. Until the 1984 games in Los Angeles when Mary Lou Retton came along. Cute as a button. A breath of fresh air. Good on TV. A marketer’s dream. Multiple endorsement deals. Heck, she was on the Wheatie’s Box when that was a huge thing Flash forward to 2023. She’s in the hospital with a serious medical issue. Reportedly she has no health insurance. Google is vague on her net worth. Estimates range from $2 million to $8 million. And one site estimated she earns about $400,000 annually from motivational speaking and endorsements. I have sympathy she is seriously ill at her age but it’s hard for me to even consider donating to her Go Fund Me. Yeah, I guess I’m a stone cold conservative - but where’s a little self responsibility when it comes to financial management? Best wishes in getting well. I was a fan - but I’m not giving you my card number.
motorhead
7 months ago
She does commercials and as such probably belonged to SAG. She chose to not protect herself for less than 20k a year, when she had 2-8 million? Bad decision. I feel bad for her, but enough with the rich begging for money from the poor to cover their mistakes. As far as the bullshit about our healthcare system. Not covering the fucking illegals would go a long way to improving it. Monitoring payouts would go a long way to improving it. Having Democrats stop lying about poor people having no healthcare, when they do, just not traditional health insurance, would go a long way to improving it. The idea I would give up my health insurance to the same government people permitting terrorists to pour into this country over the open border and let them run healthcare is a forever non-starter. Government needs to defend the borders and when they do that right they get something else to do, such as, never mind it won't happen.
skibum609
7 months ago
@bum, so you are no taking, or going to take advantage of Medicare? Or are you just another loud hypocrite?
BumHip
7 months ago
^Calling me a hypocrite is beyond stupid and false flag bullshit. I have to take medicare asshole, everyone does. I still use my regular insurance. I will work and keep my real insurance for a long time. I pay my way.
skibum609
7 months ago
The Go Fund Me goal was only $50,000 which won't buy much considering she is in ICU with a rare form of pneumonia. At last count the goal was exceed and contributions reached $260,000. Why was the goal set so low?
WiseToo
7 months ago
@TooOld4ThisShit: Medicare is not welfare - we were forced to pay into it for many MANY years, just like SS. What is you beef? At this point, there are a lot of medical insurance options for all. A lot of athletes have really bad financial management - Not My Problem. What I do know is medical insurance & costs went up, INSANELY WAY UP, after ACA was passed. I see people on MEDICAID with smart phones and tats - so much for being responsible. The reason I know they are on MEDICAID is I've stood inline at a pharmacy and they say the have MEDICAID. "Lighten up Francis."
mogul1985
7 months ago
A lot of these go fund me's are crazy
Muddy
7 months ago
A lot of these go fund me’s are crazy as @Muddy said. I don’t know the story behind Mary Lou Retton but she was a national hero at one time. That I recall she never besmirched that or was tacky with that fame. She’s ill now and maybe needs the money. On a side note to the libs above, go ahead and have your great desire for your NHS. Go ahead and like whatever you like. No thanks to your NHS on this side. Even without officially gov run healthcare here, I see what government interference does. Now make it 100% controlled? People really believe a shit sandwich is filet mignon when a shit sandwich is all you know.
Brahma2k
7 months ago
@bum, I did not call you anything, I asked if you were a hypocrite. You are a suspiciously, and predictably defensive there. As long as you, and those like you, focus on the relative pennies the poor are receiving, the rich, and powerful extract litteral trillions over decades. They applaud your service to them. You're a good little soldier for their cause. Bottom line is it gives me great comfort knowing a person with your beliefs strongly disagrees with me. Now fire some more of those comically frustrated nasty profanities at me. I can take it. You hating me is flattering actually.
BumHip
7 months ago
Did this daughter just want a new car and said her mom doesn’t have health insurance to fund it? Over the years I’ve met Mary Lou several times. I’m trying to grasp… didn’t she do several ads for health care related things, like get your flu shot at Rite Aid a decade ago, but today she doesn’t have health insurance? WTF?
shailynn
7 months ago
Too old the idea I hate you us just more simplistic foolishness from a fool. Phrasing an accusation or insult as a question changes nothing other than proving you're a lousy liar. You're just mad you're attempt at moving the goal posts foiled. Progressives love to virtue signal and live off those they pretend to care about. Hate you lol. You're just a fool typing and nothing more.
skibum609
7 months ago
Vote with your wallet. Send money if you’d like, don’t send money if you don’t support her. The morality and personal responsibility police is overly preachy. People find themselves in desperate situations for all sorts of reasons. Criticizing someone without all the facts is pretty stupid. If you care enough, contact the daughter and ask. Our healthcare system sucks and is overly expensive. It may be the best system for some people, but it still sucks and is overly expensive.
Hank Moody
7 months ago
MY healthcare is great and cost effective. As ye sow, so shall ye reap. If you have 2-8 million, you're not in a desperate situation. Jesus fucking Christ that is a dumb statement.
skibum609
7 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion