What do you tip a VIP manager or VIP host/hostess?

Monday, November 13, 2023 10:12 PM
I saw a thread a few weeks back on the snoo website where some mongers discussed tipping at clubs. What surprised me was the OP of the post suggested he tips "10%" to the VIP host/hostess. That seemed outrageous to me. Personally, I like to think I tip well in general, especially to dancers, but I have always been pretty light on tipping VIP hosts. To me, they're management, and there more primarily for the clubs benefit than my own. The thread on the snoo site made me consider if I've been leaving a trail of bad feelings in my mongering travels by not taking care of the VIP staff, so I want to start a discussion and hear from fellow PLs (and especially dancers or club managers if any are listening) on what you all think is appropriate. One thought I have is, 10% of what exactly? To unpack this question, I want to give a few scenarios for VIP rooms across the country, and poll you all on how you would tip in each scenario. Assume in each scenario that you are having an excellent time at the club, have no complaints, and plan to return. Here goes: 1. NYC Club, like Sapphire. You pay a fixed fee (covering the room, and the dancer), of something like $1250 a specified increment of time, likely only like 30 mins, as NYC is hella expensive. 2. Vegas club, like Spearmint Rhino. You pay a dancer fee of something like $600 for an hour, and in lieu of a room fee, the club requires you to purchase a bottle for $280. In this case, you have potentially two people to worry about tipping, the VIP manager, and the waitress who brings the bottle. What would you tip each? 3. SoFla, Cheetah Pompano. You have negotiated a cash tip for the dancer's services of $600 for a half hour. The club requires the purchase of a $150 of champagne for the room, brought to you by a waitress. Again, you'd have two people to potentially tip here, the manager and the waitress. Do you tip on the total or just the bottle fee, and how much? 4. SoFla, Tootsies. You negotiate a cash tip for the dancer of $750 for a half hour. You are charged a room fee of $100 and there is no alcohol service or waitress involved in this arrangement. How much if anything would you tip the VIP manager who shows you to the room? 5. DTW club, like Flight Club. You negotiate a fixed-price arrangement with the dancer of $500. The VIP host charges you just $40 for the room, but you also wind up being asked by the dancer to pay the club a skip fee of $50 during the dances. What (if anything) would you tip the VIP host in this situation? BONUS QUESTION: if you are tipping the VIP manager, when are you tipping? Before the dance, or would there be any good reason to wait until after? I'm eager to hear your thoughts, have at it.

16 comments

I can’t speak to your hypotheticals. I don’t tip the VIP host/manager in most cases. Only exceptions are sometimes the dancer will ask for a tip for them to ensure a good time. I know it’s most likely a ploy but if it’s a reasonable amount I pay it so as not to get a session off on the wrong foot. I can adjust her tip as necessary if it doesn’t go well or goes real well. I’ve also taken to tipping one of the regular managers about $10 before a VIP that will cost me between $350-450 depending on what room I use and how much I tip the dancer. The manager has always looked out for me and I think will do her best to cover for me if a camera catches something it shouldn’t.
Hank Moody
6 months ago
Yeah @Hank, I've spent my mongering career thus tipping much like you do. Most cases nothing, sometimes a $10 or a $20 but only if I feel like they've done something special for me. I would tip the waitress who brings a bottle though. Looks like some reddit mongers who would be tipping the manager $35-45 on your $350-450 rooms.
RonJax2
6 months ago
My thoughts are stay the hell out of south Florida! You are overpaying and fucking up the rate for the rest of us.
gammanu95
6 months ago
Here in Vegas, if you don’t tip them we tip out of our pockets. It’s pretty much mandatory even if they don’t say it’s required they are going to get theirs regardless. So that extra $20-40 tip I ask for at the end of the dance isn’t even going to me it’s going to the house/host.
Cruz_LV
6 months ago
Interesting @cruz. So, like $20-40 on top of how costly a dance? What % of the total dance cost should be tipped to the VIP host?
RonJax2
6 months ago
There are some cases where tipping the manager lets you get extra VIP time for no additional cost (besides the tip). For instance if VIP is $600 for an hour, many dancers may be willing to even give you an hour 15 minutes for that amount of money, but you would need to pay the manager some to get that extra time. There’s also the stories of people paying certain managers so they look the other way while youre in VIP. And there are clubs where it’s become a formality for dancers to tip 10% of their earnings to the manager. I heard some dancers even tip the DJ at some clubs? I would still follow basic principles. If you’re already paying say $40 per one song lapdance, Youre already paying above market rate and shouldn’t need to tip. If the dancer or vip manager arent making enough off of $40 lapdances, then its the club/business itself that is probably ripping them off and keeping most of the dance funds. In that case, you can just push for OTC even easier to get rid of the middleman. If its $10-$20 lapdances, you can tip a $5 per dance. Just a sidenote i think the business of dancers tipping VIP managers start’s because a dancer wants to get favorable treatment. But then the other dancers all have to also do it otherwise they may not get treated as nicely. The benefits of tipping can include the manager suggesting them more to customers, the manager letting them get away with rule breaking or illegal behaviors… not firing them… etc. if a manager is getting 10% of the earnings of everything a dancer is bringing into the club, hes not going to want to fire her even if she breaks the rules or does something illegal. Rarely do you see a situation like this in other businesses where the employees or contractors can essentially bribe their own managers. IMO it’s something thats good for strip club managers because they get extra cash. Its good for strippers themselves because they get job stability and possibly can get away with illegal or rule breaking things. But all this is basically at the expense of the customers, as well as the owners/shareholders of the club. It makes no difference to the club owner whether the dancer keeps all her earnings or tips out 10% to the DJ or manager. It’s basically similar to corrupt managers who enrich themselves in ways that hurt the company stock price and customers. Tipping the manager helps the manager and the dancers involved but its overall a negative for the club as a whole… results in reduction of service quality and poorly qualified dancers continuing to remain at the club.
rickmacrodong
6 months ago
I generally don’t unless a dancer tells me it’s necessary and I take note if different girls tell me different things. Usually it’s good at sometimes extras clubs. Those are the ones where extras happen but they’re not assumed and they can get the girls in trouble. Those are the clubs where there may be arrangements with management we’re not privy too.
boomer79
6 months ago
TLDR; If it is a big club with lots of money flowing: What advantage do you get over other eqivalent OPs? Are you paying "significantly" bigger than what others are giving - to make you stand out? If you are one of the other 100 people who pays, OR (devil's advocate) one of the other 500 people who don't pay - What the heck difference does that do from their perspective to YOU in that specific club? - You innately know about this. Just ask yourselves and answer it. Longer story: You have been in this for a long enough time. So, things are very simple. You have a good control of this, no matter what anybody thinks or does. You would have already figured with your experience if you need to increase your tipping for the specific club parameters, or decrease it. There is no right or wrong here. Tipping on a regular basis increases good will and they will have a chance to side with you and give you "benefits". The same good will can be had with non-tipping as well - Being a good person / Buying them drinks / food / whatever other means. End of the day, if the staff has good will towards you - you win. Keep in mind - Dancers rotate, but the staff is semi-steady. Although this was a rare one: At one club, I had tipped a caretaker of the property, a few times, and eventually he gave me tips and #s that I didn't even expect. Being a good person will earn you brownie points, and I'm not expecting anything in return. If it gives benefit, it is a bonus.
stainglass
6 months ago
If we are talking about the curtain watcher for a VIP room? To each their own, as noted above, but imo and what I do is tip them decently. Consider that 30$ tip an investment. Someone mentioned LD areas (not private), I’ve never tipped anyone except the stripper.
Brahma2k
6 months ago
Most of my tipping at strip clubs is based on "rounding up" and then maybe I'll throw a few more bucks in there if they did something special or I'm angling for special treatment. I won't comment on the places that are hypothetical for me, but for Cheetah in south Florida I usually just round up to the nearest 20, 75 for the 15 minute room gets the guy 80. For the 30 minute, 150 just rounds up to 160. Initially I threw them a larger tip in hopes of getting some extra time, but I've since learned the girls signal them if they want strict timing or relaxed with each customer. Same idea at BT, 50 rounds up to $60. The girls have less control of the timing there though, so if you tip and are nice to the host you can get extra time as long as the girl is cool with it. In any case, I'd throw out the percentage based tipping idea in a strip club.
Dolfan
6 months ago
I believe $20 is reasonable, and helps to avoid interruptions.
funonthaside
6 months ago
You are making this way too complicated. If you want or need the bouncer/host/manager to be "flexible" with the rules about time or activities in the VIP, tip them $20 and thank them for their assistance. Then go fuck your brains out... because if you are agreeing to $500, $600, $700+ tips to the dancer, she'd better be willing to go all the way.
herbtcat
6 months ago
I sometimes give the guy watching the rooms an extra $10 or MAYbe $20. This just builds some familiarity, so they now know me. It gives me the confidence to stretch 30 minutes a bit longer if desired. I have been guilted into $20 tips for the waitress who brings bullshit obligatory champagne to the room at one club which I don't frequent any more. They are always punctual though no matter how much you tip, so, I just don't do that kind of VIP any more really.
5footguy
6 months ago
I mostly tip nothing. If I know the girl well, I'll tip whatever she tells me to do up to $20. If I'm gambling (and winning), the most I'll tip is $20. I usually don't pay skip fees unless the girl tells me upfront (but I'll most likely choose to wait). I also don't order bottle service and don't take rooms if they have it.
chiefwiggum
6 months ago
Ask the hostess how much she'd charge for an hour of her time in the private VIP of the club and tip her no more than 5% of that. If she's good at her job she'll make that amount or more in tips from each party that comes through the club on it's busy nights. You should never tip more than the price of a dance, unless the hostess is able to deliver an itc provider or something to that effect.
Jdo11
6 months ago
What stands out most to me in this thread is that there are substantive regional differences in terms of what's customary or common. To tie this back to my original list, it seems like: 1. NYC -- ?? 2. Vegas -- Tipping the VIP host seems to be customary here, as @Cruz_LV notes, but I'm still not sure if it's customary or common to tip a percentage. Years ago a co-worker and I dropped several grand at a Vegas club. It was an incredible time, right up until the point where we paid the tab. We tipped the dancers generously, but they wanted us to shell out another 2 or 3 hundy for the host. I offered one of the dancers a $20 tip for the host, but that was not enough for them. It felt like an ambush/scam after all the money we'd already dropped, and it marred the whole evening for me. One reason I avoid Vegas clubs these days. 3, 4. SoFla -- Seems like a small tip of $5-20 is customary and common, definitely not a % though. 5. DTW -- Doesn't seem like anyone tips the VIP hosts here.
RonJax2
6 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion