Annoying Phrases

Wednesday, November 22, 2023 7:54 PM
From Dancers: “Why aren’t you smiling” (I would like to say “Watching a girl take off her clothes ain’t exactly a Richard Pryor concert”) On Social Media: “This is a good read” Everywhere: “Posted on X (formerly Twitter)” how long do we need to keep saying that - go back to Twitter if it’s a problem

27 comments

From dancers: "Why not?" - When I've just told her I'm not interested in having her join me at the table, or not interested in getting dance with her. Boy does that type of questioning rile me up, but I've learned it's best to just reflect it back on her with something like, "why do you think I'm not interested?" > Everywhere: “Posted on X (formerly Twitter)” Hilarious and agreed. It's been like 5 months, people have figured it out by now, or if not they didn't even know what Twitter was in the first place.
RonJax2
6 months ago
Agreed with @RonJax2 on the "why not" question. It doesn't happen often but having to explain why I don't want dances with certain dancers tends to annoy me. If I've decided I'm not interested in a dancer, there usually isn't anything she can say that will persuade me so having to explain myself is a waste of both of our time.
Elitis
6 months ago
On Reddit. “Can Confirm” hate it
Muddy
6 months ago
“It’s been a minute”, since the last time I’ve seen you. Why did this quote ever stick around? Hear this from strippers, work people, on TV. Makes no sense how it was ever used, yet here we are.
Mate27
6 months ago
I scratch my head when somebody says that.
Jascoi
6 months ago
The term Side Hustle irks me. What happened to having a part-time job or side job?
elmer
6 months ago
New slang phrases don’t annoy me. I sometimes feel a little old or disconnected from the younger people who use them, but that’s on me. I may feel a little stupid using new slang, so I don’t, but it doesn’t annoy me when the younger generation uses their slang. Now, grammatical mistakes? I refrain from correcting people’s grammar but it makes me cringe. Not knowing when to use “me” or “I” or saying it’s a “mute point” instead of a “moot point.” “I could care less” instead of “I couldn’t care less”. “Irregardless.” Drives me ballistic and makes me wonder how people got through middle school.
Hank Moody
6 months ago
Everyone thinks X is stupid except Elon
JamesSD
6 months ago
"rate of speed". The term "speed" is already a rate (distance over time). So "rate of speed", if it were to mean anything at all, would mean "acceleration". But people use it to mean simply "speed".
ancientlurker
6 months ago
From Dancers: “I'll be right back” as she begins to walk away after having a brief conversation. I would like to say, "I'll give you 5 minutes." In reality, I'm moving on to the next dancer as soon as she leaves.
WiseToo
6 months ago
“Do you have change?” NO, NEVER. Lol.
PinkSugarDoll
6 months ago
I hate it when people say something is “for sell.”
PinkSugarDoll
6 months ago
Lol. When I was an engineering manager, I ran a one man campaign against "utilize" and "utilization". I would ruthlessly redline those and substitute "use". Way too many people use multi-syllable words in reports to sound more learned, when using simple, direct language is much more effective. As I used to say, "Write it so that even an admiral can understand it."
ATACdawg
6 months ago
^ Eh, ATACape, sometimes it is fun to use language that is more elaborate than is necessary. For example, if I want to scare somebody into complying with my lion-y wishes do I simply let loose with a mighty ROAR!!!? Well…sometimes I do. But other times I want to tease my prey. That is when I tell them they will one day be walking alone and hear a word that will chill them to the bone. A word that rhymes with “schmildebeest”. Far more creative. And even an admiral ape can understand it. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
6 months ago
^^ 100% agree with the "anti-utilization" campaign! That word is over-utilized. Oops. :)
steve3000
6 months ago
How people use "spicy" these days to mean stripper or similar like what lol? When people don't know the difference between they're, their, and there as adults. I also agree with some above post that when people are quite clearly trying to sound smarter than they are - I can no longer take them seriously. This one is more for people you already kinda know enough to know they're idiots though.
blahblahblah23
6 months ago
When people consistently use the word literally, when they definitely mean something figuratively, I begin thinking about the wood chipper scene in Fargo.
datinman
6 months ago
Yeah, the literally thing drives me. I think some people honestly believe it's meant to increase the effect of whatever they're saying. "Did you see the comedian last night? He LITERALLY killed that audience."
misterorange
6 months ago
On the other hand, I'll sometimes misuse a phrase intentionally just because it sounds funnier. For example: Look, bro, someone vandalized my car. Those son-of-a-bitches!
misterorange
6 months ago
People who write “ect.” instead of “etc.” FFS, autocorrect even gets it right! Also, using “etc.” when referring to people instead of “et al.” but that one isn’t as bad as a lot of people don’t know “etc.” only refers to things. And that reminds me, there’s no such word as “alot.”
Hank Moody
6 months ago
I laugh at people who bitch about grammar, and spelling, cause most of those jerks get so worked up they end up screwing up their own grammar, and spelling. There’s even a moron here that constantly misspells you, (his posts always spell it yiu) yet he’s always nitpicking about other folks misspelling. What I find more annoying is those of you that don’t use paragraphs and run on and on.
twentyfive
6 months ago
"I would of ..." => They mean "would've", or "would have" "I could care less about ..." => They mean "couldn't care less" I don't get worked up about these things. It's just an easy identifier for people who aren't very intelligent communicators.
5footguy
6 months ago
Basically all these gender identifications that ppl have created. Can’t call a tranny a tranny b/c some get offended. Well, what am I supposed to call you? You’re NOT a woman, so I damn sure am not calling you “she”. All this they/them bullshit is confusing and I want to backhand slap the next person that says “TRANS women are women too!”
FLAP3000
6 months ago
Just saying...
bkkruined
6 months ago
It’s been a minute….
Mate27
6 months ago
Side hustle - it's a fucking part-time job stupid.
skibum609
6 months ago
Laxadaisical
Hank Moody
6 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion