Star Garden
6630 Lankershim Blvd North Hollywood, CA 91606

Unionized dancers from North Hollywood strip club go on strike

Friday, December 8, 2023 8:10 AM
Full story and video: [view link]

9 comments

@shadowcat “…make this a fair workplace for us.” ~ an employee named Lilith Is that an unreasonable request? FYI The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 (NLRA) was supposed to put the power of government behind the right of workers to organize unions and bargain collectively with their employers about wages, hours, and working conditions. Despite of the Act shortcomings it changed the American power structure for the next 50 years. The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 (NLRA) was all but dead by 1978 due to an all-out and unrelenting battle against it by the entire corporate community from the day it was passed, and then finally killed in the 1980s.
CJKent_band
5 months ago
Oh my Lord. They all look fugly too.
BuckMcNutter
5 months ago
Seems to me that it's smart for us to support strippers over club management. If they keep more of what we spend in the club, they will be more motivated.
ilbbaicnl
5 months ago
Comedy at its finest
Brahma2k
5 months ago
I’m very much for strippers being independent contractors but they should be treated fairly. As to what the club takes a reasonable tip out should be the norm. I don’t like them taking a cut of dances or anything other than a room fee. Ideally the club would make most of their money on cover and drinks.
boomer79
5 months ago
I only have 2 questions: 1) what type of union schedules a picket line to end on a particular date, let alone after only 3 days? Doesn't seem very effective to me. 2) which of our California members is going to be the first to try to negotiate OTC from a striking stripper on the picket line?
whodey
5 months ago
Dancers seem to have the notion that as independent contractors they don’t have rules. But the contract of any independent contractor can be terminated if they underperform and do not live up to the terms of the contract. Things such as scheduling is critical to the operation of the club.
motorhead
5 months ago
"According to lawyers representing the union, the club interfered with employees’ ability to earn tips, took disciplinary actions against some dancers and the club’s owner is accused of refusing entry to union supporters and charging them higher fees than other customers." Interfering with the ability to earn tips is very vague, not sure what it means. The other two complaints seem to be very common/justified. Heard similar complaints from most of my favs.
ilbbaicnl
5 months ago
^ Perhaps club management disallows extras, thereby impacting how much they can extract from PLs.
funonthaside
5 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion