Cartels on a killing spree

Monday, December 11, 2023 5:23 PM
MEXICO CITY (AP) — A recent killing spree in the Mexican border city of Tijuana could have been lifted from a TV script: enraged drug lords hunting down corrupt police officers who stole a drug shipment. Two of the officers suspected of the theft have been killed, prosecutors say. But so have at least three other officers, according to the city’s former police chief, suggesting the cartel believed to have owned the drugs may have launched a generalized retribution. It is the latest blow for Tijuana which has the most homicides of any city in Mexico, with about double the number of the place that comes second — the border city of Ciudad Juarez. Tijuana, situated in the border state of Baja California and with a population of over 2.1 million, has for several years seen around 2,000 murders annually. By comparison, Houston, Texas, which has about the same population, saw 435 killings in 2022. more: [view link]

22 comments

Yeah, I think I’ll be skipping TJ for the foreseeable future.
doctorevil
5 months ago
If the policia dare to rob the cartel, then robbing you is just a natural thing.
TJ Walker
5 months ago
My rule for safety in Mexico is, hang with a Mexican who knows how to handle the cops, and has reason to watch out for you. In TJ, that would be brothel staff and cab drivers.
ilbbaicnl
5 months ago
Yeah fuck all that.
Muddy
5 months ago
Could be a case of Cartel A discovering it's dirty cops were double dipping by working for Cartel B. Both Cartels would need to clean out the disloyal cops. That makes the violence a little more likely to stay inside the group. If that's the situation.
Sgtsnowman
5 months ago
El Yikes.
drewcareypnw
5 months ago
Wow this sounds like a telenovela or 2 I saw years ago lmfao!!!
blahblahblah23
5 months ago
You know in the US we only see a fraction of what happens down there in the news but man, at least to me it’s scary.
shailynn
5 months ago
@shadowcat FYI Everyone outside the USA knows the CIA and USA Black Operations exploit instability caused by conflicts they create in other countries, for profit of course. Black Ops are supposed to have be secret and not “attributable” to the country/organization carrying it out, however everyone knows about the USA/CIA because it is the largest, more powerful terrorist organization in the history of the world. This is the case in Mexico 🇲🇽. These people the CIA have to justify their existence and profit from the drug trade/industry and in many cases they like the power they have playing games with others peoples lives. Like the article says, and I quote: “A recent killing spree in the Mexican border city of Tijuana could have been lifted from a TV script: enraged drug lords hunting down corrupt police officers who stole a drug shipment.” Art imitates life and life imitates art, like a TV or movie; the Bkack Ops said with pride: “We are a black ops unit. Meaning, nothing you see here ever happened.” The drug industry/economy is a major tool used to exacerbate violence, and corrupt governments. The USA/Trafficking chains span continents, yet they often take root in fragile and conflict-affected states, where violent actors can exploit the ‘violent-governance paradigm’ to entrench their economic, political and social influence. Wars like the “war on drugs” are caused by one country's wish to take control of another country's wealth. There is almost always an economic motive underlying most conflicts, even if the stated aim of the war is presented to the public as something more noble”
CJKent_band
5 months ago
I would really expect TJ cops to know better than to rip off the cartel. How do you expect any outcome except chaos, carnage, and a slow painful death for you and all your loved ones?
gammanu95
5 months ago
I wonder how much volume will suffer and for how long given the price increases and most significantly uptick in violence.
Danton
5 months ago
lately i've been watching youtube videos of a few channels of guys walking around showing the talent that stand against walls out in ecuador and colombia. that scenery is real nice, making it a real temptation to want to head to the first plane out of newark airport to either country. but the first red flag are the areas - just dilapidated shitholes. then i read the youtube comments in each of those youtube clips. in ecuador some people were robbed 3 times a year. also on spanish news there was a report of the an influx of colombian and mexican gangs that have in recent years moved into ecuador. as a result, violent crimes have skyrocketed, and those gangs reportedly have more funs and bullets than do the police force. i would not monger here.
rattdog
5 months ago
dirty cops in TJ? and I guess also some stupid cops in TJ! the Tijuana policia definitely soured my experience and reduces my visits now severely. bandits with badges
Jascoi
5 months ago
Hmm, multiple police CHIEFS have been murdered over the years, and the current Mayor is living on an Army base for her own security. But a couple of police officers rumored to be corrupt getting killed is what bothers you? I haven't been there for 20 years, but seems pretty clear to me that anyone visiting's safety is totally contingent on the cartel's deciding not to fuck with a couple of brothels catering to Americans.
bkkruined
5 months ago
I still feel that shootings and killings within TJ’s red-light district are unlikely to occur, simply because the cartels don’t want to start trouble with the brothels like HK and CC. They know that Americans go to those places and provide revenue, so if there was a shootout inside HK (for example) which saw Americans killed and/or wounded, that would almost certainly bring trouble from the U.S. military. Not to mention it would be all but over for the Zona Norte as we know it, because who would want to go there after such an event?
OPIllini96
5 months ago
I don’t know how Zona Norte came into being but if Mexico’s economy would improve to be able to provide decent alternative jobs, and if the violence sustains and scares customers away , the clubs would suffer financially. The cartels are unlikely to care about tourist revenue though the city probably does. And historically “red light” districts tend to come and go.
Danton
5 months ago
The cartels care about the clubs, because that is how money gets laundered. It is part of what caused Adelitas grief.
PutaTester
5 months ago
Does it bother you much that pretty much all guns in the hands of criminals in Mexico come from the US? If not, don't get torqued when they don't care that dangerous illegal drugs used in the US often come in through Mexico. Most people in Mexico don't see the drug cartels as a threat to them personally, and nobody is against money coming into their economy. It's good business for the cartels to maintain the general public's lack of hostility. If you are trying to smuggle into the US, do you want a high or low volume of people crossing into the US? That's reason for the cartels to want long lines of horndogs coming back from the brothels.
ilbbaicnl
5 months ago
Two guys were shot in the alley outside of HK yesterday morning.
AyyCabron
5 months ago
^ https://tjnoticias.info/hombres-armados-disparan-mas-de-10-veces-contra-dos-hombres-en-callejon-coahuila/ Link to what the previous post refers to. Make no mistake, this type of incident doesn’t happen often in the Zona Norte. Still, a couple of the targets ran inside HK, which created a panic. My concern is that one of these instances turns into a shootout inside the club, which would be really bad for business.
OPIllini96
5 months ago
Indeed. The clubs are likely tied to the cartels by less than a couple of degrees. They aren't going to foul their own nests , but dumb shit thugs do dumb shit things in Mexico and have gotten violent in tourist venues , not always making the news either. They've never purposefully attacked tourists, they know that's stupid. They need tourists because for their legit investments.
chugwa
5 months ago
https://bajanews.mx/noticias/23398/VIDEO-Asesinan-a-hombre-en-plena-Av-Revolucion
AyyCabron
3 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion