Live Music

Tuesday, December 12, 2023 6:08 PM
Nothing is better than live music and we've all been to concerts which we have enjoyed, but it's time to name the top 3 concerts you have ever seen. I will go first: 1) Pink Floyd - Animals tour/Boston Garden; Ramones - Live at the Rusty Nail; Meatloaf - live at the Channel. Go for it.

31 comments

1. Rolling Stones in Vegas 2022, 2. Rod Stewart with Lynyrd Skynyrd as opening act, circa 1975 3. Guitar circus show with Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Buddy Guy, BB King, Peter Frampton, Jonny Lang, and many more, maybe 10 years ago. 4. And many more - ZZ Top multiple times, many other classic rock groups, Chicago, Eagles, Steve Miller, Cheap Trick, John Mayall, Canned Heat, John Fogerty, and the beat goes on!
azdd
5 months ago
I don't do concerts anymore. My last 2 were: Gipsy Kings at Chastain Park, Atlanta Glenn Miller Band at Pensacola Naval Air Station.
shadowcat
5 months ago
-dire straits brothers in arms tour at madison sq garden. first concert i ever attended. -metallica-and justice tour at the brendan byrne arena in new jersey. fucking right ear wound up ringing for almost a week. i sat about 200 ft away from a guitar amp. -sting nothing like the sun tour at madison sq garden. great band. and the girls-good fucking lawd they were everywhere!!!!
rattdog
5 months ago
Elton John in Chicago - two shows, one inside at the United Center (Bulls and Blackhawks arena) and once outside on a beautiful summer night at Soldier Field, where the Bears play. Run DMC about 15 years ago. First live concert of my life - Cheap Trick at a county fair.
captainfun
5 months ago
Bikini Kill at CBGBs My Bloody Valentine at House of Blues (bigger venue than I'd like (capacity ~1000), but great show) Circle Jerks at the Knitting Factory
blahblahblahs
5 months ago
Emerson Lake and Palmer in Carbondale Illinois in 1977. It was my first ever concert. Kansas in 1980 also in Carbondale. I had third row seats for that show and number 3 was the Talking Heads at Poplar Creek Out door amphitheater near Chicago for their stop making sense tour in 1983. It is a shame they closed poplar creek down. It was a fine place to watch a show under the stars.
captanmellow
5 months ago
For some odd reason I’ve seen Sting more times that I can count, and Nine Inch Nails because I love them, Rush probably almost a dozen time but they don’t hit top 3. Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Tour in Pittsburgh Police - their reunion tour in Cleveland The first Lollapalooza tour - which had (I had to look it up) Jane's Addiction, Souxie and the Banshees, Living Colour, Nine Inch Nails, Ice-T's Body Count, Butthole Surfers, Henry Rollins Band, Fishbone and the Violent Femmes. I was there to see NIN, Living Colour and Fishbone, I was still in high school and that was in Chicago.
shailynn
5 months ago
I'm possibly the only classical music listener here, so I'll limit it to one day, April 13, 1980. The musician was Vladimir Horowitz, one of the great pianists of the 20th century. The place was Boston Symphony Hall. My date was Miss December of a few years before, and my car was a 1936 Bentley. We continued dating until she got admitted to RISD the next year and moved to Providence in the fall. I foolishly thought that was too far to drive and we separated. Fast forward to this year. I found a recording of that concert, and was playing it in the car. My wife heard the applause and said, "Oh, was there an audience when he made this?" The only diplomatic answer I could think of was, "It sounds like it."
From978
5 months ago
I've been to a lot and I agree ski nothing like live music. I would also go to those cover band shows and just drink until it seemed like the real thing. Saw a ton of concerts just this year to catch up, covid kinda squashed a lot of that stuff for a little while. I saw Sting this year too, I looked at his tour schedule it's crazy, all over the world. I missed the Police reunion which I still kick myself to this day over. And there last two shows they ever played were like 15 minutes from my house at Jones Beach. Sounds like Andy and Sting are beefing right now so that's probably won't happen again. I mean Andy is actually is in is 80's now. It's sort of now or never.
Muddy
5 months ago
Saw Kenny Loggins and Doobies with Michael Mcdonald only a month apart. I love all that old school California soft rock, they call is Yacht rock. I love all that shit. ZZ top opened for Guns and Roses at the sun bowl. This is went I started saying fuck it let me stand in the the pit instead of sitting up in never never land. And I've been doing more of that. I'm not a Guns and Roses guy at all, fun to see live though but I was one of the few that went way more for ZZ top. Soundgarden with NIN was cool. Incubus with Deftones I think was one that was good. Interpol with U2. Saw Goldie at some underground joint at Chinese resturant in Chinatown in Manhattan. I love stuff like that. Aerosmith was crazy saw them a couple months ago. Bruce Springsteen in Jersey was awesome this year. There's so many I can't even remember them all. I saw Phil Collins with my mom actually at MSG a couple years back. He really couldn't sing anymore and was in a chair but I always be a huge Phil Collins guy so it was cool to see. Hall and Oates is on my list. But that's not looking good right now.
Muddy
5 months ago
Huey Lewis was free at Eisenhower park. And I saw Tony Orlando with my Grandma and mom at some park near me. Can't beat free. Hell I'll check out almost anybody at that price. Except faggoty current top 40 stuff.
Muddy
5 months ago
Rush - The R40 Tour in 2015, which turned out to be their retirement tour. I was in the 3rd row at TD Garden in Boston on Geddy Lee's side of the stage. It was spectacular. Iron Maiden - Somewhere Back in Time Tour in 2008 at Great Woods in Mansfield, MA (I don't care what they call it now, it will always be Great Woods to me.) It was a greatest hits tour, they were in great form and put on an awesome show. Van Halen - Balance Tour 1995 also at Great Woods. It was the evening Jerry Garcia died, so it was a unique and very cool night to be at a rock show. I always felt Balance was a highly underrated album of theirs. Plus my two and friends and I almost got arrested in the parking lot beforehand for possession of weed and underage drinking, but didn't. And Sammy Hagar pointed out a guy in the crowd wearing a cow costume. Good times!
crosscheck
5 months ago
^Tweeter Center, Comcast Center, Xfinity Center lol
skibum609
5 months ago
monsters of rock oxford maine ( went for Metallica who was played second, lineup, Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions, Van Halen We left during Dokken Rage Against The Machine, Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, UNH Durham, NH Meshuggah Worcester, 2 times.
Meshuggah
5 months ago
Blood, Sweat and Tears. And Dizzy Gillespie at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 1976.
FishHawk
5 months ago
I still got some old four and eight tracks, cassettes and records of some of these groups.
Jascoi
5 months ago
Greatfull Dead at the Oregon Country Fair site, in the 70s. Played a wonderful game of frisbee with a long haired beautiful topless blonde in the 100* heat. BB King at Mac Court at U of OR. Elvin Bishop at some venue in Portland.
gSteph
5 months ago
^Unless one has been lucky enough to attend a dead show, they will never understand the vibe.
skibum609
5 months ago
I’ve seen dozens of live music over the years but among the most memorable would be Bob Dylan, Garth Brooks, Simon & Garfunkel, I especially enjoyed Earth Wind and Fire, The Doors sucked, The Eagles didn’t disappoint, Frank Sinatra was over the hill when I saw him at the garden, Gordon Lightfoot put on a good show, Dolly Parton was cool, Willie Nelson was my fathers favorite I took my dad to that show he was thrilled. Bruce Springsteen did a great show, I’ve seen so many, most were great, a few sucked, I think the first one I remember was Bobby Darin.
twentyfive
5 months ago
^ almost forgot I saw Billy Joel at a local bar in Levittown, NY before he became famous he had a gig there for a few years I believe.
twentyfive
5 months ago
Use to go to Ozzfest every year, I miss seeing 15+ bands all day long for 60 bucks. Best Band I've ever seen live was System of a Down.
sativasaurusRex
5 months ago
^Tell me you haven't been to a concert in decades without saying you haven't been to a concert in decades, LOL!
gammanu95
5 months ago
Sativasaurus slipped in there, but you know who you are ;)
gammanu95
5 months ago
I sat in the 4th row of the Tower Theater in Upper Darby Pa in 1981 - a great rock venue at the time - for the Pretenders. They blew the roof off the place. Best concert I ever been to. Had cheaper seats at the same place for Graham Parker/Thin Lizzy in 1978. Another great one. Maybe it was because I was a teenager then, but I still love those band’s music. They just had way more balls than anything today.
Studme53
5 months ago
1. Best live band Stryper. Their lead singer could really sing. 2. Bon Jovi with opening act Cinderella 3. Esperanza Spalding
dustyj
5 months ago
@studme I was recently in San Francisco and the pretenders were town playing at Bimbo’s 365. All ready to go but I saw Chrissy Hyde announce that she was done playing the hits. All the other stuff. No fan wants to hear that shit! Come on. Mix it up fine but I gotta hear Brass in Pocket, Back on the Chain gang, Don’t get me wrong. All that good shit
Muddy
5 months ago
^ Oh bummer. No Mystery Achievement or Tattoo Loveboys? Forget it. Their kickass original lead guitarist and bass player both died of drug overdoses, fairly close together, in the 80s - they were never the same after that - but I think Crissy had tons of style.
Studme53
5 months ago
My most memorable was having a dinner table at the Old Waldorf in San Francisco to see Gamma. Our table was front and center of the stage. Ronnie Montrose jumped onto our table jamming away during one of the first few songs.
mike710
5 months ago
When I returned to Umass for Fall semester 1976 I immediately went to the famed "Blue Wall" bar, no cover charge, drank forty-five cent Tuborg beers and enjoyed the music of a local band: The Cars.
skibum609
5 months ago
The Jersey shore, where I spent the summers of my late teen and early 20s had dozens of bars with nothing but cover bands. There was cheap beer, fun and live music every night of the week. Life was a nonstop party. Had to take a “health night” to sleep and dry out about once a week.
Studme53
5 months ago
Man, that's tough...... I'll have to do two: BITD: Tina Turner opening for Lionel Ritchie Night Ranger opening for REO Speedwagon Chicago on their own in a smaller in the round venue w/ rotating stage Recently: The Pretty Reckless opening for Shinedown Halestorm opening for Three Days Grace Alter Bridge opening for Skillet
Longball300
5 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion