Is an FMM still necesary to cross into Mexico?

Tuesday, January 30, 2024 12:16 AM
I'm reading mixed things on the internet about this. For those who have crossed the border recently, did you fill out an FMM? Did they ask for it at the El Chaparral crossing?

7 comments

This coming trip in a couple of weeks will be my 9th to TJ. I started going in August 2021, and only twice did I fill it out at the customs desk. But I may just print and fill one out next week just in case.
OPIllini96
4 months ago
@Ronjax2 Google says: “Source: U.S. Department of State INTERNATIONAL TRAVELER'S VISA REQUIREMENTS Passport holders from countries on Mexico's no visa required list do not need to apply for a formal visa to visit Mexico. The maximum period of time that a visitor may stay in Mexico without a formal visa is six months. Pedestrians crossing into Tijuana at the San Ysidro crossing need to complete a Mexico Visitor's Permit (FMM ‒ FREE if the trip is 7 days or less and you cross by land) and present a passport. This form will be provided by the airline or at the port of entry. You can also complete this form online. If you travel beyond the 22 miles/35 km "free zone" after crossing a land border into Mexico you will need to pay a fee of around US $22. Your USA tourism visa is enough to return to the United States after visiting Mexico.” As far as I know Mexico is phasing out the FMM and will require passport and stamp it accordingly, but it is going to be a long time before it is fully phased out. At the end of the day is going to be up to the Mexican border agent that you get, some are honest and some are just trying to get money from those they think they can. Best be prepared and informed, just be patient and cordial. In my limited experience and humble opinion, if you behave like a gentleman you will be tea like a gentleman. Let’s just be careful out there. And remember Pics and Vids or it didn’t happen. :D
CJKent_band
4 months ago
I usually pre-print a FMM to speed time at the desk. But this Tuesday around 1pm, they had the foreigners line ropes off. I just walked through. There was a little 1 min delay for the x-ray of bags, but it was the easiest crossing I’ve ever had.
Powerman02
4 months ago
I cross a couple times a week and for at least the past three months, they have not asked for FMM. My most recent trip was last night. They will simply check your passport and once they asked where I was going. Also be aware that they are having drug dogs at the checkpoint by the x-ray machine. They are also in the process of installing magnetometers and last Friday, they were patting everybody down. It is something different every time!
mf92802
4 months ago
@mf, they had drug dog, pat downs and magnetometers going IN to mexico? Or leaving Mex for the USA? If the former, did that create all kinds of extra wait time? I can imagine with the volume of people crossing that could slow things down considerably?
RonJax2
4 months ago
I was there on Tuesday afternoon and no one even asked to see my paperwork/passport or anything else. They were busy putting some kind of machine together near the bag scanning area. Didn’t see any drug dogs either.
3 months ago
I went through this evening at PedWest. No one was at the desk, and no one asked for my passport or a FMM.
OPIllini96
3 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion