Learned a new word today

Tuesday, January 30, 2024 6:04 PM
I learned a new word today - but ironically it’s an old word supposed first coined by a London prostitute in the 1800’s to describe false eyelashes. “Cumbrellas” The purpose was to prevent semen from dripping down onto the face. Fun fact

2 comments

Ha. A dancer told me that a few months back. Laughed my ass off. It actually works pretty well during conversations with dancers who haven’t heard it before. Usually brings a smile and moves the conversation in a fun direction.
Hank Moody
4 months ago
Spidey senses were that this claim was BS. Looked it up and confirmed as much. I too have been fooled by internet tales - i.e. my discussion thread a while back with a too good to be true video of Bruce Lee crushing in ping pong with nunchucks. Anyway… Cumbrellas, also known as What Fake Eyelashes Were Originally Called, is a slang term and misinformation meme claiming that the original name for false eyelashes is "cumbrellas" and that they were invented in 1882 by a prostitute named Gerda Puridle to keep semen out of girls' eyes. The supposed story and original name are false, with fake eyelashes actually being first patented by a Canadian inventor in 1911. The story spread from a meme originally posted online in January 2021, inspiring numerous viral videos and memes sharing it, including Don't Google videos on sites like TikTok. The story went viral several times on sites including Instagram and Facebook throughout the 2020s.
captainfun
4 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion