History Lessons

Tuesday, March 19, 2024 7:43 PM
Today's history lesson will seem almost crazy in view of instantaneous communications of today. In the war of 1812, the United States won exactly one battle: The battle of New Orleans. It made andrew jackson president and got Jonny Horton a gold record. How and why does it relate to communication? In 1814 communication was very slow, so slow in fact that news of the treaty to end the war failed to reach the United States in a timely fashion and thus all those people died in the battle for New Orleans for nothing; it happened fifteen days after the war ended with the treaty of Ghent. Next time you wonder if instantaneous communication is good.....

18 comments

May I suggest, History Lesson Part II? https://youtu.be/KZvsAh5VFRw?si=RNhCiI02sEcp8ZP3
blahblahblahs
2 months ago
History Lesson III: the reason why the battle of New Orleans was fought, was not because of poor communication. The terms of the treaty that was signed where that United States and Britain would keep whatever land they held at the time of the signing of the treaty. That would’ve left the United States with without the port of New Orleans, and no access to the sea from the Mississippi and the interior of the country. That would have crippled us. Jackson fought the fight to secure New Orleans for the United States and access to the Gulf of Mexico.
PhredJohnson
2 months ago
Wow, SkiDumb takes a page out of the progressive playbook and is trying to rewrite history! Next thing you’ll see him apologize for being a US citizen. Rotflmfao!
Mate27
2 months ago
There is some historical inaccuracies with Johnny Horton’s song: “In 1814 we took a little trip Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip' We took a little bacon and we took a little beans And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans” — Jackson had been appointed a General well before the battle of New Orleans
motorhead
2 months ago
I see MATESWITHUNDERAGE BOYS is back. Never anything valid to say, typical of all losers like her.
skibum609
2 months ago
Ummm, PJ, have you not heard of the Louisiana purchase (1803) which included New Orleans ? Executive version of Ghent Treaty essentially restored to USA the land that existed prior to the war of 1812.
minnow
2 months ago
War of 1812 was significant for our navy. The American Navy at least held its own and had some significant victories vs the world dominating British Navy that turned the tide (pardon the pun) of the war.
Studme53
2 months ago
^ Good book by Teddy Roosevelt, of all people, about the 1812 Naval War. The book Russell Crowes Master and Commander movie was based had an American antagonist/ enemy ship, the Acheron, and was about the War of 1812. The movie changed the enemy to France to appeal to American audiences. Hard to route against the USA.
Studme53
2 months ago
History Lesson IV: Andrew Jackson is hardly a hero. He was a genocidal maniac.
georgmicrodong
2 months ago
“History Lesson IV: Andrew Jackson is hardly a hero” — Perhaps with an asterisk. He is to strippers. (Gotta think about it)
motorhead
2 months ago
Ben Franklin though is the patron founding father of strippers. Anyway, interesting factoid about the War of 1812, thanks OP. I do know that the War of 1812 was one of the few we've fought where the outcome was the status quo antebellum. I think it used to be the only such war, but Afghanistan may now also be in that boat, sadly.
RonJax2
2 months ago
Korea hasn't changed since 1953.
skibum609
2 months ago
I thought North Korea ceded territory in that war though? I could be mistaken. Also, I think that technically, that war has not ended, right? So, one can still hold out hope that the DPRK collapses, Korea is unified, and capitalism prevails over communism.
RonJax2
2 months ago
If the DPRK government collapses, I could see them being absorbed by China before unifying with RoK.
gammanu95
2 months ago
Let's have a balanced view of Andrew Jackson, as opposed the anti-American rhetoric of a dickless wonder. Even Wikipedia introduces him well: "Andrew Jackson (March 15, 1767 – June 8, 1845) was an American lawyer, planter, general, and statesman who served as the seventh president of the United States from 1829 to 1837. Before his presidency, he gained fame as a general in the U.S. Army and served in both houses of the U.S. Congress. Often praised as an advocate for ordinary Americans and for his work in preserving the union of states, Jackson has also been criticized for his racial policies, particularly his treatment of Native Americans." If you are ever in New Orleans for any reason, the drive to Chalmette to see the battlefield is worth the time.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalmette_National_Cemetery
gammanu95
2 months ago
Was the pint of this thread another rage post complaining about today’s youth having immediate gratification, or something else? Never ceases to amaze me how trivially mundane and useless these discussions get, as the cathartic mess is revealed by the author. Dumb….
Mate27
2 months ago
^Calling a young male a useless whiny little homo bitch is actually a compliment. Young males of today are about as useful as a pocket watch, but less manly. Phred I just saw your post? Inane at best and 100% wrong. New Orleans was ours for more than a decade and there was absolutely no way Jackson or anyone else in New Orleans would have known about the terms of the treaty before the battle, since word didn;t arrive until afterwards. What shitty source did you get your gem of info? Andrew Jacksons face on a $20.00 has put more smiles on my face than anyone else in history. He gets a pass on the few bad things he did.
skibum609
14 days ago
^ Fredo sez: “Andrew Jacksons face on a $20.00 has put more smiles on my face than anyone else in history.” This rick translates: “I’m Skifredo and I jack off when I see Andrew Jackson’s face.” Fortunately, Fredo seldom has access to $20s because he’s a broke loser. But y’all should watch out if he does use one in your vicinity, especially if it is all crusty and faded. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
14 days ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion