Cowboys and Strippers

Wednesday, March 20, 2024 3:57 PM
A broad generalization for sure, (there’s always exceptions) but it seems most dancers are impulse shoppers - if they have a good night they might go out and spend $1999 on a 4K 85 inch Sony TV rather than save for next month’s rent. Some might say they “waste” money. Which leads me to my next topic - one thing that I’ve never understood that you see all the time in westerns is how they waste food. How many times on Bonanza, or The Rifleman or Gunsmoke have you seen cowboys on the trail not finish their food (in a hurry?) or throw their coffee into the camp fire. I imagine food and drink are scarce on the trail. If one has the opportunity for a meal and coffee I doubt you are going to waste it or leave it behind.

16 comments

Hey man gotta finish quick before you get an arrow lodged in your noggin!
shailynn
2 months ago
You managed to compare 85” TVs with those tv shows (which I’ve heard of but never seen). And I thought I was old. This doesn’t scream “I’m old and can’t relate to strippers” at all! lol
Hank Moody
2 months ago
Fyi Tubi is showing some Westerns made back in the 30's. John Wayne, etc. Some are colorized.
shadowcat
2 months ago
So um, I feel like this is casting shade on dancers. At least the way I act as a customer, lap dances are the ultimate impulse spending.
blahblahblahs
2 months ago
Most people don't think long term. I read that half of Americans don't have $400 available for an emergency expense. The lack of long term planning is why the average 401(k) balance for a retirement aged American is only $233k. For many people, life is just about scraping by until the next paycheck or the next fix of drugs to get you high. I don't think home economics is taught in the high schools anymore.
sinclair
2 months ago
^^^ “drugs” Which IMO could be substituted with material objects.
shailynn
2 months ago
There's probably no one on this website who has come into a bit of money and blew it all in strip club VIPs. Yep, impulse spending... strictly a stripper thing.
Call.Me.Ishmael
2 months ago
I spent most of my wealth on women and booze.....the rest I wasted.
funonthaside
2 months ago
One thing about saving. Is the point to die with the most money? You can use it now or later. For those that choose the now, just don't be crying later, you had your fun.
Muddy
2 months ago
Strippers need TVs so they can learn portion control from cowboys in TV show reruns. Thus they avoid gaining weight, and are thus attractive enough to make enough money to pay next month's rent.
ilbbaicnl
2 months ago
I believe Georgie's quote was: “I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted.”
blahblahblahs
2 months ago
All good comments but what's this Bonanza, and Rifleman you speak of?
elmer
2 months ago
I have been an impulse buyer and I agree with funonthaside's take. i was totally out of control for a while.
Jascoi
2 months ago
and didn't even buy a fast car. I mean I was satisfied with a slow Prius.
Jascoi
2 months ago
as to a fast car... I was satisfied with a slow Prius.
Jascoi
2 months ago
Speaking of stupid impulse spending, did anyone win the Powerball? I think I would do some serious impulse spending if I pocketed an after-tax payout of over $300M!
azdd
2 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion