Non/Low-Tipping Customers

Sunday, March 12, 2023 9:23 PM
More and more, I am observing and getting annoyed by customers who sit at tip rail and either don't tip at all, or tip $1 or so during a stage set. While I generally tip most girls, even when I'm away from rail &/or a girl may not be my type, I am beginning to question that approach. Specifically, why should I subsidize a show for the non-tippers? However, I value a dancer's contribution to my enjoyment of my club visit, so I want to reward it. How do you guys view non/low tippers? Does it impact your tipping style? Ultimately, everyone has a right to choose how to spend their money. So, I cannot really criticize their choice. It's just that I have somewhat of an ethical dilemma related to (a) withholding tips just because others aren't tipping vs (b) being fair to dancers.

27 comments

Why should you care, if your observations are correct, it just makes you look better.
twentyfive
a year ago
I'm with 25, I don't care. If I'm at the tip rail at all, I'm tipping $5 in singles max, but I like the girl enough to say "find me after your set for some dances or VIP time." Somehow, they never view me as a skinflint after that.
Tetradon
a year ago
I agree, twentyfive, which is why I continue to tip as in the past. It does generally yield better experiences ", and the likelihood that I don't have to wait for a dancer to become available, as they generally give me right of first refusal.
funonthaside
a year ago
Personally I prefer low tippers to high tippers, those dudes just robbed a bank and throw wads of singles around like its monopoly money. Low tippers are like ugly friends, they make you look better by comparison.
Mike Rotch
a year ago
If a stripper is not putting on any effort on stage. Then I don't tip also I never sit by the stage.
bang69
a year ago
I don't care if other customers are tipping or not, that's none of my business. Whether or not a customer gives money to a dancer as a tip or for anything else doesn't effect me at all. If the club or dancers have a problem with a customer not tipping they can address it with them since the lack of tipping effects them directly. Personally, if I sit stageside I generally tip each dancer at least $1/song and usually tip the ones I'm interested in at least $5/song. If I don't feel like tipping, or the girl on stage is bad enough that I don't want to tip her I simply move away from the stage and find a seat at a table or the bar. But that doesn't mean I expect anyone else to tip the way I do
whodey
a year ago
I would be surprised if anyone said their own tipping behavior was influenced by what others were doing. If I'm at the rail or a nearby table and watching the show, I'll tip a few bucks, even if I'm not interested in anything more. One time I tipped a dancer a few bucks since I was sitting there watching. She stopped by and got rather upset when I said I wasn't interested in VIP. Other than that one time, tipping the stage set seems at least somewhat appreciated so I'm not sure why anyone would withhold tips because others aren't doing it.
mickey48066
a year ago
Subsidizing the show for non-tippers? That really sounds like something a stripper would say, similar to how they complain about giving a free show. Like others said, who cares what others do. You do you, let them do them.
Dolfan
a year ago
They're douches, plain and simple. Many of the world's problems are due to people who feel smart when they get something for nothing. Being a parasite only seems smart when your thinking is very shallow.
ilbbaicnl
a year ago
Don't care. They make me look more generous.
Call.Me.Ishmael
a year ago
>How do you guys view non/low tippers? It happens, but it's a bummer. When all or most are tipping, the whole vibe is more fun. The girls see/appreciate the spending, seem to work a little harder to drum up business.
gSteph
a year ago
I think general etiquette is if you sit at the rail you tip. Is $1 enough for a two song set? With inflation being what it is, I do wonder. There are clubs where girls make a good chunk of their income on stage and a lot where girls are there to sell dances and stage is just advertising. At lap dance clubs, stage tipping is less important. An extra $5 in tips matters less than selling an extra 2 $20 dances.
JamesSD
a year ago
You are graded by a curve in a club. Dont be annoyed...thank the losers for showing up
Uprightcitizen
a year ago
How do you guys view non/low tippers? +1 for none of my business. Or yours. Does it impact your tipping style? Nope. I'm there to "get mines".
wallanon
a year ago
I've had several long-time strippers say customers now are more likely to not tip or buy lap dances. I think this is becoming a little bit of an issue for me. Strippers often approach customers and spend time being friendly to them in order to sell lap dances. They know they will only be successful with a certain percentage of customers, but it is worth the effort. If you have a large number of non-spending customers in the club, though, it increases the search cost for these girls of locating the spending customers. It can turn into a looking for a needle in a haystack situation. It lowers stripper income and causes more of them to quit and may eventually lead to more strip clubs completely closing. It makes it more difficult for me to arrange for lap dances since the girls are wasting a lot of time sitting with other guys who won't spend on them. Some customers complain the girls don't approach them, but it makes more sense to do this in a strip club with a lot of non-spending customers. Experienced strippers have adjusted by doing this. The big problem is with the new strippers who haven't figured this out yet. I see more of them quitting, many of them quite attractive. Strip clubs are also starting to adjust by raising entrance fees, lap dance prices or drink prices. The old saying "there aint no such thing as a free lunch" is largely true.
docsavage
a year ago
It has made me go out less because it’s like I’m carrying the club tipping while the broke boys just watch. Does make all the dancers come to you first but that’s also overwhelming when they all want your money.
theeastcoast757
a year ago
"Does make all the dancers come to you first but that’s also overwhelming when they all want your money." Trade the word overwhelming for annoying and that's basically my experience since the pandemic started.
wallanon
a year ago
I was recently in a Detroit club and was chatting with one of the dancers bar side, not stage side. Even though she wasn’t dancing, I was occupying her time so I tipped her (and eventually her friend that joined us) for her time.
uniquename
a year ago
===> "Specifically, why should I subsidize a show for the non-tippers?" You're not. You're expressing your personal appreciation. Nothing more. Tbh this is the type of thinking I more often encounter with dancers than other dudes. It's the notion that some of the sillier girls have about giving a "free show" to non-tippers, which in turn leads them to modify their behaviors on the stage, usually to their detriment. It's bass ackwards thinking. Not only does it further limit their stage tips, but it also makes them less appealing prospects for bigger spending after. IMHO the smarter girls understand that more skin + more sexy on stage = more tipping and more guys interested in other services. When she's focusing on the guys who aren't tipping instead of the guys who are, IMHO she's worrying about the wrong thing.
rickdugan
a year ago
The notion you're "subsidizing" the show comes from such a weird place to me ... If I'm the only one tipping, that means I stand out. Good for me! Do you not get extra attention for being the only one tipping? IF not, something else is wrong. In general, there are very few cases where I care what other customers are doing. In particular, if everyone else is a bad customer, I stand out more that day. There are things customers can do to harsh my mellow, but tends to be rare, and not stage tipping is not one of those things.
Subraman
a year ago
===> "If I'm the only one tipping, that means I stand out. Good for me! Do you not get extra attention for being the only one tipping? IF not, something else is wrong." I almost added a similar comment in my last post. Exactly. Maybe fun takes some odd pleasure in playing the role of the dancers' banker, IDK, but if I really like a girl I'd much rather be the only guy vying for her attention. Maybe fun feels a state of serene joy when guys around him are throwing Benjis on the stage and doesn't mind the fact that his chances of doing anything fun with her are quickly becoming non-existent, but I suspect that most guys feel differently. ;)
rickdugan
a year ago
I don’t pay attention to other strip club customers - and I don’t have any interest in watching to see how much they might tip. If someone makes it rain, that is difficult to ignore. But, I don’t go to clubs where making it rain is common. When I’ve been away from my northeast NJ clubs, the layout is usually different. If I go up to the stage - or if I’m seated near the stage, I will always tip the dancers a decent amount. I know I’ve been guilty of over-tipping on several occasions. A few times, I’ve seen a single dancer on stage, with no customers approaching her (to offer tips), and I’ve tipped a few of those dancers with $20’s.
Cashman1234
a year ago
I used to frequent clubs where guys would sit at the tip rail for an extended period of time watching the show up close. I figured that I'd tip $1 per song out of courtesy, more if I liked the girl or wanted to get dances later. Most guys seemed to conform to this. These days I figure the minimum is more like $3 (inflation!). But the clubs I go to now don't have much of a tip row culture, so if I'm up at the rail it's because I'm specifically interested in the dancer so tipping a little bit more is fine.
caseyx
a year ago
Most everyone else covered what I would’ve said. I tip how I like and anyone not tipping makes me look a little better. The one thing I’d add is that other people not tipping could potentially affect me in that it puts the dancers in a bad mood. That stinks when it happens and hopefully it can be salvaged by spending a little of your own money to put a smile on one dancer’s face. It only takes one.
Hank Moody
a year ago
Agreed with everyone as well. Never have been concerned with low tippers, but in my younger days I would routinely run into guys who after seeing me tip a regular 2 dollars would tip her $5 and then want to engage her in deep conversation. I would think to myself lets leave comparing who has the biggest dick game to women outside the bar. Id smirk when they did that and then watch his face as he saw her walk past him to sit down with me for a drink. Those guys though engaging conversation and $20 dollar dance meant more to dancers than $140 dance and small talk.
NJBalla
a year ago
I don't care what the other PLs are tipping. Normally, the only people who do care are strippers, bc they like to rant about how PLs should do this and that. If this makes you mad, you may need to reflect upon your white knighting level, and verily atone for your sins in the VIP. Get thee to a beej thou whiteknighter!!!
drewcareypnw
a year ago
I don’t try to compete with others. If someone wants to make it rain, I’m not going to compete. If a dancer goes out of her way towards me, I will tip her a little. I don’t visit strip clubs to tip dancers just for talking to me. I don’t try to charge them for my time and I have a degree while they don’t. It appears bad manners at best imo asking for a tip just for talking. I’m not one who visits clubs just to talk though. If that’s all you do in a club, feel free to pay dancers for taking up all their time. I will buy dances or tell a dancer I’m not interested. Dancers seem to have no trouble identifying someone who buys dances. Makes me less interested if dancers are sneaky about prices or try to change prices.
orionsmith
a year ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion