ESPN: The masses have spoken. “We want sports not politics”

Monday, July 3, 2023 10:39 AM
If the Bud Lite / transgender fiasco wasn’t proof enough the “Go Woke Go Broke” phrase is more than just a clever slogan - it’s reality, then one only needs to look at what happened at ESPN on Friday. At least 20 big name personalities were fired to free up $30 million in cash. Since ESPN shifted from sports to political commentary sometime during the Trump administration (namely changing the 6 pm SportsCenter anchor spot to The Six cohosted by an AA man and woman) the number of households with ESPN dropped by over 30 million. Reports say they are losing 22,000 viewers per day. The network that practically revolutionized cable TV interjected politics into every conversation and the viewers got sick of it. They have this guy by the name of Bohmani Jones - and if you’ve ever watched him, he turns every story is a race baiting event. I swear, there could be a bang bang play at first base during a baseball game and he’d find someway to blame it on white privilege and racism.

17 comments

Sports is entertainment. Entertainment is escapism. Forcing ignorant political commentary from poorly educated buffoons is incompatible with escapism.
gammanu95
10 months ago
Yes, that’s a big part of it. Plus, younger viewers don’t care about sports as much as the older generation, their screen time involves iPhones, and they expect free media. Then, there are the multi millionaire team owners and players who often are unlikeable assholes. And, the advertisers and their commercials are woke, trying to impose political views while insulting viewers. Meanwhile, if you go to a game in person, it costs a small fortune.
mark94
10 months ago
I have a suspicion that gambling is a major part of what’s keeping these pro sports financially viable.
mark94
10 months ago
why would anyone who follows sports watch espn anymore, especially when there are more knowledgeable and entertaining personalities on youtube? pat mcafee and the urinating tree are a couple off the top of my head that i find way more preferable than the whole entire espn bunch. the final nail in the coffin for me was when espn canned rachel nichols. she and sportcenter were the only reasons to tune in.
rattdog
10 months ago
I guess I still try to catch PTI most evenings at 5:30. Wilbon and Korneiser are tolerable. Haven’t watched SC in years. For some reason the powers that be removed the only decent shows. I always like the Sports Reporters with Mike Lupica on Sunday mornings but it’s long gone. And I liked the original Mike & Mike early morning radio show. I’ve only see a few minutes of Greenie’s new show but it was unwatchable I’m glad they got rid of Le Batard a couple of years ago. Le Batard created a show that was a safe place for wokes to accuse people of racism and bigotry without an ounce of pushback
motorhead
10 months ago
the only show that i considered was can't miss on espn was the 30/30 documentaries. these were very well made. do they still even make those anymore?
rattdog
10 months ago
Yeah. I really liked most of the 30 for 30 documentaries. I hate the University of Miami football program - but the 30 for 30 on the “U” was one of my favorites
motorhead
10 months ago
This is much less to do with who will or will not watch, politically or otherwise. By a very substantial amount, ESPN was the most successful cable and satellite revenue entity. I forget the number but it was around 5$ per subscriber per month. Whether a cable/satellite subscriber watched ESPN occasionally or not at all, ESPN collected 5$ monthly from the viewer’s cable bill. This compulsory cable/sat revenue revenue FAR exceeded ESPN’s advertising revenue(revenue from actual viewers). If you have a cable/sat subscription you are paying ESPN that monthly fee. Cable/satellite subscriptions are headed downward and have been for several years. I believe it was around 10 million lost subscribers in 2021 + 2022. Disney hopes it can be made up by ESPN streaming subscriptions. In the near to mid term there is almost no chance of this happening.
Brahma2k
10 months ago
They get rid of the cute MILF Suzy Kolber, but keep the bald chick. I want to kiss Suzy.
DrStab
10 months ago
"I hate the University of Miami football program " ^ Fuck you.
Dolfan
10 months ago
The cuts at ESPN have little to do with woke politics. Its part of a major restructuring at Disney by Bob Iger who was forced to come back out of retirement to clean up his predecessor's mess. Bob Chapek the former CEO actually hated all "woke" politics and opposed promoting a lot of content that dealt with LGBTQ issues, women, and people of color. He scoffed at Scarlett Johannsen's lawsuit for the pay she deserved from the movie black widow and he burned a lot of bridges with talent. His major flaw would have to be the underwhelming operation of Disney Plus. In addition, ESPN has been a company where careers go to die. They have to spend so much on broadcast rights for the NBA the ability to grow talent in house is a challenge. The easiest way people serious about sport journalism can make money these days is to build their brand on Youtube a la Pat McAfee which is ironic because the sportcasters who have developed a presence on youtube are the ones they keep or want to hire (Pat McAfee, and don't be surprised if Shannon Sharpe) joins too
NJBalla
10 months ago
I haven’t watched espn non game since like 2000’s.
Muddy
10 months ago
Although sometimes espn does have some must watch clips once in a blue moon, that I will admit https://youtu.be/EaW6vBOvLqA?t=125
Muddy
10 months ago
^^^ you bring up a good point. At one time in my life I always stayed up and watched Sportscenter. It's probably been close to a decade since I've done that on a regular basis. I also agree getting rid of Suzy Kolber was horrible. Weird voice, but she was so cute.
shailynn
10 months ago
I will miss Suzy Kolber. Damn she was hot when she was younger with the shorter hair.
motorhead
10 months ago
ESPN pivoted too hard into personalities over people who know how to talk about sports.
JamesSD
10 months ago
The reason these entertainment companies or even any company generally speaking, cater to zoo animals, is because zoo animals make up a large % of their customers or viewers. I believe back in 2020, not just nike, but seemingly every major american company, even the large accounting firms, were posting BLM and black squares on their social media. Twitter, linkedin, instagram, company home page etc. even if they didnt genuinely believe in the group. White supremacy on the other hand is nowhere near as common as some media outlets would claim- and nowhere near as common as the number of people supporting BLM. If white supremacy was anywhere near as popular as BLM, all these companies supporting BLM would gladly be supporting white supremacy openly as well. And their rallies would be much larger. Espns behavior was simply an attempt to appeal to the zoo anImal. But it backfired- because zoo animals arent predictable or rational to begin with, so you simply cant apply the same ideals of human nature to them.
rickmacrodong
10 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion