Monday, March 11, 2024 7:14 PM

17 comments

https://tuscl.net/discussion/84547
Dolfan
2 months ago
“It’s like deja vu all over again” — Yogi Berra
motorhead
2 months ago
The magazine you linked to is libertarian. Only libertarians are consistently for having the various forms of commercial sex legal. The left increasingly sees sex work as a type of exploitation of women.
docsavage
2 months ago
The proposed new law will have little effect because I've only rarely seen a stripper younger than 21 working at a club. And those that did work, were identified with a color wristband so they were not served alcohol. It just places an additional burden on the club when hiring strippers.
WiseToo
2 months ago
The slant of the magazine does not change the truth of the law. Simply, I do not understand why our society considers people to be adults at the age of 18- emancipated from their parents, able to vote in local, state, and federal elections, gamble, purchase and possess tobacco, enlist in the military, able to seek unrestricted, full-time employment, and be tried under adult criminal and civil laws; but, they cannot purchase or possess alcohol, work in a strip club or adult studio, some want to restrict firearms purchases, and other stuff. What is the rationale backing up this law? What isnthe reason and purpose? I just don't like things that don't make sense.
gammanu95
2 months ago
they should raise the age to join the military to 21 then too, you can die for your country but my kids cant die on your face or chest?
NJBalla
2 months ago
Many of the rights you mentioned are eroding gammanu. 18-20 can't purchase tobacco around here for a long time, I thought but am too lazy to research that Trump made it a federal law back in 2019 or so. I think it was a pretty bipartisan thing, not trying to blame Trump for it, just saying its been that way for a while. It's a fairly rare case where I agree with your politics though, I'm a firm believer that if your eligible to be drafted to go kill or die in a war, you damn well ought not be restricted from anything on the basis of age. The idea that someone wants to restrict gun ownership I find beyond crazy on that same basis. "Hey, you can't buy a gun cause you're too young. But here, fill out this draft card in case we need you to take a gun and go fight for us."
Dolfan
2 months ago
No brainer. Whole argument stops when military age is brought up. If a young person can be put in harm’s way and die for their country at 18, they can work in a strip club.
Studme53
2 months ago
I honestly think that the reasoning behind this "law" is the fact that they think younger than 18 might be working in these clubs. IE: the "T" word. Especially when you have "undocumented" workers.... if you know what I mean. But I whole heartedly agree that is you can die for your country at 18.... then you should beable to do alot of other things. Also let it sink in.... you can VOTE at 18... and could be voting on these things or for people who want to legislate these other things you are not allowed to experience until you are older than 18. Make it make sense.
crsm27
2 months ago
I don't like this trend. Texas and Florida are big states. Louisiana is another one that does this.
Muddy
2 months ago
Has been in place in Duval County for over a year. All Dancers are also required to obtain a license before you can employ them. That process is through to Police Dept. so that age verification falls on them along with criminal background. No drug convictions allowed and photos of all tattoos . All this info is now public record. Girls who did not want the info available to future employment, etc also affected. All in the name of Human Trafficking. The result were all under 21 dancers simply went to Daytona, Orlando, etc where it does not exist. Also results in clubs being overrun with Cuban dancers..
busta_nut
2 months ago
I wonder how many class of 24 high school coeds are thinking to themselves: "Gee, if I can't work in a strip club after graduation, I may as well go to college, enlist, or learn a trade."
gammanu95
2 months ago
WTF = Well, That's Florida.
Alfredo_Darke
2 months ago
—>I wonder how many class of 24 high school coeds are thinking to themselves: "Gee, if I can't work in a strip club after graduation, I may as well go to college, enlist, or learn a trade." I’ve wondered at the supply of barely legal strippers in the first place. Statistically, families are stronger than ever and rentals are unaffordable and I think I read some statistic that 61% of young adults still live at home? In dancer discussion boards, a lot of aspiring dancer questions are “how can I dance without my parents finding out” Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if this new law had similar origins as the Texas law that got passed just because a parent’s offspring died when driving home from the strip club. I think most people are going to evaluate the options in front of them and choose what they consider the best.
nicespice
2 months ago
I view this as a consumer protection law, as it protects PLs from baby stripper nonsense. I've been exposed to enough 18-20 year old girls at clubs to have built a memory bank full of consistently bad experiences. One thing worse than a normal baby stripper (ie any girl new to dancing, whether 18, 28, or 38) is an 18-20 year old baby stripper who needs to be taught the ropes. I recently observed a freshly-minted 18 year old girl following around her female handler on the club. The girl wouldn't leave her {female / stripper} handler's side.
funonthaside
2 months ago
Well, of course they're not going to actually spend any money to HELP anyone who's considering choosing a risky option. The only way whackjob "conservatives" will "help" anyone is to spend money putting the cops on them harder. So, since they gotta make more work for the cops, they could ban any employee or contractor of a bar from drinking while they're working. That would probably do more to keep strippers safe than a minimum age. Cut down on roofying, for one thing. Would be hard on dancers who need to drink to be able to tolerate the customers. On the other hand, maybe that would result in the most predatory customers getting lonely and bored, and finding a new pastime. In any case, probably better to sneak edibles to tolerate dancing, rather than alcohol.
ilbbaicnl
2 months ago
Eeeh…there is a heavy reality that underage dancers have heavy pressure to drink. (And for some of the under 21s, that was considered a plus for them and one of the reasons why they strip in the first place). As a baby faced newbie dancer, I tried to lie about my age as a polite way to refuse alcohol…but it didn’t stop customers from pressuring me to consume any at all. Long before the 21+ law in Texas, a lot of Austin clubs voluntarily made their dancers be at least 21 out of fear of the liquor board, because they would crack down on the clubs there with a vendetta. And don’t get me wrong, I agree with your stance that the law is unfair. I personally suspect the protective attitudes are from enough individuals (both red and blue) who want crackdowns to make it tougher for their own kids to do sex work, especially since the likes of it has gotten more glamorized in the media. They don’t give a hoot about anybody else who may potentially get forced into riskier workplace situations because of a lack of safety net out there.
nicespice
2 months ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion