The Three Stooges

Tuesday, August 30, 2022 8:59 PM
Are you a fan? Are you not a fan? Why? I make no pretense about it: The three stooges were and are the greatest comedy act in history. Slapstick is an incredibly difficult comedy medium, and no one has come close to them in almost 100 years. They were on from 4 - 5:00 p.m. weekdays when I was in High School, and we all pretty much blew off sports to smoke weed and watch them after school. They always stood up for the little guy. My wife and I can do the dialogue from about 40 episodes. A couple of interesting things I have noted over the years: 1) Every woman in their lives is bigger, taller and mean to them. 2) In every pie fight the locale is a fancy dinner, fashion show, art gallery etc., never a common person's home. 3) Christine Macintyre (pretty blond who sings) signed on with the stooges after a career in opera. In a scene where she beats the shit out of "Cousin Basil" (Shemp) he got her to make it so realistic that the slaps sound like rifle shots and she broke his nose. Last time we watched them was Sunday Morning (walla, walla) along with coffee and wake n' bake. What say you?

35 comments

Are you high right now when writing this thread?
Mate27
2 years ago
The Three Stooges exemplify the truth that the things we find easiest to laugh at, and laugh at the hardest, are people being hurt or discomfitted, either physically or mentally. We laugh at pain, both our own, and that of others.
georgmicrodong
2 years ago
Nope. Not funny.
motorhead
2 years ago
Not high. Going to have dinner, wacth some stooges, then pack a bowl and head to desires.
skibum609
2 years ago
I'm not young. But I just vaguely remember them. About all I can recall is that Mo would poke at the eyes of the other two and slap them around.
Warrior15
2 years ago
What do I say? Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! 😉😂😁 Funniest trio ever, but definitely an acquired taste.
ATACdawg
2 years ago
I like them for short periods but I get tired of them after a while. Has this board run out of things to talk about? The fact that this discussion is about a group of actors that are all long dead. Hell, Curly stopped acting after a stroke more than 75 freaking years ago. Shemp died in 1955, how old are you that you were watching them in high school? It had to be reruns that you were watching back in high school, right?
whodey
2 years ago
I don't go out of my way to find out when they're on, but if I'm flipping channels and come across them it's hard to turn off. That is some funny shit.
misterorange
2 years ago
Occasionally they're funny, I couldn't watch them for long, but they make me laugh, sort of like a corny old joke hits the funny bone once in a while. @Whodey when I was in high school there was a a show called Officer Joe Bolton Presents the Three Stooges, and yes they were all reruns.
twentyfive
2 years ago
I wasn't crazy about them but like them. They are on every Saturday for a few hours on a cable channel called METV.
mike710
2 years ago
You mean SJG, Icee, and Big Third Eye? Nope, not a fan.
drewcareypnw
2 years ago
The Three Stooges show was great! The movie was even better. They got even with that rich guy
48-Cowboy
2 years ago
Used to when I was a kid. Now,it's a big No.
gSteph
2 years ago
'You mean SJG, Icee, and Big Third Eye?' Yeah I thought he was talking about the creep, iceydougee and fuckhead cjkunt but your third guess makes a 4th stooge and I can easily think of a 5th although I'm sure there are a couple other candidates.
TheeOSU
2 years ago
I thought they were funny. Women tend not to find them funny. My sister teaches middle school. She told me she doesn't really like boys that age because they act like the Three Stooges.
docsavage
2 years ago
I was always partial to Abbott & Costello. I think both them and the Stooges were on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. There’s no way in hell I’m getting up that early anymore unless I have to.
shailynn
2 years ago
Whodey - Yes reruns, but I saw the movies from the early sixties when they came out. My Father was a fan and remembered them as shorts, in-between features at the movies. In the early 80's a local channel (38) started running the Three stooges on New Year's Eve - they still do. Great lineup at desires for the 5 customers. Who knew Tuesday night would be amazing.
skibum609
2 years ago
This feels like "Bait Car" or whatever the police sting show was called. Yes, of course The 3 are/ were funny. Those of you who think you are too sophisticated to admit they were have an under developed sense of humor. Maybe this explains your, what,... We'll fill in the blank(s).
Goodclubrep
2 years ago
Niagara Falls! Slloooowwwly I turned, step by step, inch by inch....😂
ATACdawg
2 years ago
The fact they always punched up at fancy people was part of what made the comedy work. That said, it's funnier to trash a fancy party than a pig sty. It actually helps me understand the appeal more thinking of it as stoner comedy.
JamesSD
2 years ago
Ok Ski. You won me on yhis thread! "Hold hands you lovebirds"
Uprightcitizen
2 years ago
Agree with everything you said, or at least I did when I was nine years old.
2 years ago
They were in my ATF slap stick movie: It's a mad mad mad world. Full cast: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/fullcredits/cast
shadowcat
2 years ago
Shadowcat, I was just thinking about the Stooges' appearance in that movie (also a favorite of mine) as I scrolled through the comments here. That movie came out in 1963; the remaining Stooges had been retired for some time and looked *really* old, but it really slayed me when they popped up on the screen. Wasn't expecting that. So yes, I'm a big fan. There is a Three Stooges museum in the Philly metro area -- not far from a handful of strip clubs -- and if you're a fan, it's definitely worth checking it out.
EastCoaster
2 years ago
It reminds me of New Years Eve on TV38 in Boston growing up. They'd always run a Stooges marathon.
crosscheck
2 years ago
They still do Cross. Not as pure as back in the day.
skibum609
2 years ago
^ the only thing I was watch on 38 anymore is Phantom Gourmet on weekend mornings sometimes.
crosscheck
2 years ago
Did you leave Desires last bit HJ watching your 3 Splooges landing on your atf ?
Mate27
2 years ago
There was a Cheers episode, when Sam Malone was feeling sad that there wasn't a single thing he did in his life that wasn't for the sole purpose of impressing chicks. Then, he was reminded that he laughed at the Three Stooges, and that women thought that was stupid. Saved him! Great episode.
SalaoLikeSantiago
2 years ago
CROSS - not sure of your experiences with the places they like, but we've decided restaurants pay to be on the show, because they haven't been great.
skibum609
2 years ago
^ there's no doubt that occurs, but I have found some real winners watching it.
crosscheck
2 years ago
^I wish we had. We've hit a number of diners, drive-ins and dives all over the country and have had better luck with those. On a side note celebrity John Taffer will be in Watertown on 9/6 for the grand opening of Taffer's Tavern, his new bar concept based on his tv show.
skibum609
2 years ago
@skibum We have a show like that called "Eye on South Florida", on the local PBS station, it's very heavily skewed to shilling for Miami restaurants, but occasionally a Broward or Palm Beach county restaurant is featured, and I have to admit that's how I found out about a few good spots including Tramonti's, so I agree about the paid advertisement shilling, but it doesn't automatically make a restaurant a bad place.
twentyfive
2 years ago
Well, I appreciate the beauty of a delightfully funny ape fight. So the poking of the eyes and the bonking on the head amuses this rick. That said, I am more delighted by the Jackass show. Nothing like a goofy hairless ape kickin’ another hairless ape in the balls as ape #2 rides past on a skateboard. And then there is the locking a hairless ape in a porta-potty and then rolling said porta-potty down a hill. Spoiler alert: the ape emerges from the porta-potty covered in feces. Tell me that shit ain’t funny. ROAR!!!
rickthelion
2 years ago
^ The Rick Animals use AK-47s. SJG School of Rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLwJaK0-15A
san_jose_guy
2 years ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion